BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got both the front and rear shocks installed.

With my bike still on the center stand I can't get the torque past 20nM at the top of the front shock, it just spins.

The second question is where to install the extra reservoir for the rear shock? Every place I've tried isn't easy to clamp to the frame?

Ted suggested that the LTs needed this extra part.

After a lot of struggling, I finally figured out how to install the adjustment tube. When I tried the most obvious set up, it was way to close to the negative batt terminal. After trying every iteration I could think of it occurred to me that I had to remove the after market "U" shaped bracket-handle I installed--that did the trick.

Did I mention that I hate those infuriating clamped on hose clamps on the fuel line?!!!!

Many Thanks
Bob

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
My rear shock adjustment knob is mounted where the old one was and the top of it is right above the neg terminal on the battery. It doesn't touch the battery but it is very very close. I put a little piece of rubber in there just in case the knob gets smashed down onto the terminal.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
BecketMa said:
With my bike still on the center stand I can't get the torque past 20nM at the top of the front shock, it just spins.
There may be flats on the top stud, or maybe a hole to insert a hex key. Either will allow you to hold the stud/shock assembly and tighten the nut.

HTH!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Having had Wilbers for 6+ years and just yesterday removing them for a much overdue service .... The top nut torque value on front shock is a tough one because the value is based upon compression of rubber donuts and that related to rotational resistance. What ever value you get having the rubber donuts being somewhat compressed IMO is good enough.

Now as for ( What sounds like a shock with the Remote Reservoir ) is a problem or challenge with the LT having really few places for it to be mounted. Best of luck on that one.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
BecketMa said:
The second question is where to install the extra reservoir for the rear shock? Every place I've tried isn't easy to clamp to the frame?
Here's pics of mine, and this is where a BMW tech mounted it all.
I did have to flip the adjustment handle over afterwards, so I could see the markings on the handle, but that only took a minute or two.... its still bolted in the same place.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the time everyone spent helping me.

The rubber bushing is compressed.

The pixs are perfect.

It appears as if my adjustment handle is longer than the one pictured. I sorta remember the handle being adjusted all of the way out.

I take a closer look at the markings on it to see if needs to be screwed in father.

Did I mention I hate those cramped on fuel line clamps?

Best for the New Year from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I had Hyper Pro installed on my LT. The res looks similar but I had mine mounted under the passenger peg area. It is very easy to access, not in the way and still protected.

Not the best pic but is shows the location. I can take a better one if you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts