BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure what you actually call this compartment, but it is located inside the trunk and has a mirror inside and holds the owners manual. In a car it would be a glove box I guess. But anyway, I apparently had mine down one day and closed the trunk. That snapped off the plastic hinges. I went to a hardware store and for 2 bucks it’s fixed. Not only is it much sturdier, the thing actually stays shut now. Before it would always pop open while riding if the trunk wasn’t full.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Yep, I would bet that over half the LTs on this site have already had that fix done.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
katnapinn said:
Yep, I would bet that over half the LTs on this site have already had that fix done.
+1! That could be my mirror, right down to the small brass hinges. Some folks have also used piano hinges that go the full length of the mirror. But Steve is right on about many of us have already made the mod. Probably the only ones that haven't are those who will soon!

John

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Nice job.

Yes, this is a common problem on the LT. Mine broke a year or more ago. Every time I get in the top case I put the docs back in the "glove box" and reseat the broken vanity mirror cover thingy. So... I guess it's time to fix it.

How do you attach the hinges to the plastic panel?
Do you pre-drill the holes?
Do you use glue?
Where do you buy hinges like this? I've been looking for a small piano hinge but can't find one small enough.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That was one of the things I removed, along with the CD cassette changer. It's in a box for the next owner. Didn't see the need for another mirror and don't listen to CD's....

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Just screw them into the plastic! And you can find these at Home Depot or Lowes.

John
hschisler said:
Nice job.

Yes, this is a common problem on the LT. Mine broke a year or more ago. Every time I get in the top case I put the docs back in the "glove box" and reseat the broken vanity mirror cover thingy. So... I guess it's time to fix it.

Do you use glue?
Where do you buy hinges like this? I've been looking for a small piano hinge but can't find one small enough.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
If you just screw them in and don't file the tips of the screws off. you will have shredded documents. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
sperra said:
If you just screw them in and don't file the tips of the screws off. you will have shredded documents. Don't ask me how I know.
Good point, plus if we didn't give Howard all the steps he ask about why he had shredded documents. :p :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Steve_R said:
Good point, plus if we didn't give Howard all the steps he ask about why he had shredded documents. :p :D

Yeh and experience at Enron has it that shredded Docs wont help... :histerica

SOrry to all those that had this and those lil pygmies in New Guinea

·
Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Steve_R said:
So - you know me, eh?

It's my job to make everyone else feel really competent. :eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
tonygret said:
I am not sure what you actually call this compartment, but it is located inside the trunk and has a mirror inside and holds the owners manual. In a car it would be a glove box I guess.
BMW calls this the 'Oddments Box'.
I keep my gloves under the locked lid in front of me, which I call the glove box. Some on this site call this space the oddments box as well but BMW just labels this one as the 'Radio Storage Compartment'. Confused yet?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
sperra said:
A simpler alternative is to use industrial double sided tape instead of screws. At least that's what I did. I was a little concerned about the adhesive failing while sitting in the sun but so far it's survived a couple of years down here in the Florida heat, humidity and sunshine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
tonygret said:
I am not sure what you actually call this compartment, but it is located inside the trunk and has a mirror inside and holds the owners manual. In a car it would be a glove box I guess. But anyway, I apparently had mine down one day and closed the trunk. That snapped off the plastic hinges. I went to a hardware store and for 2 bucks it’s fixed. Not only is it much sturdier, the thing actually stays shut now. Before it would always pop open while riding if the trunk wasn’t full.

Did the magnets fall out?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The velcro strips were from the previous owner, so i don't know what they were used for. As for the magnets, they all seem to be there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hschisler said:
Nice job.

Do you use glue?
As several mentioned the hinges are easily found at Lowes or Menards . but I spent perhaps $.89 more and purchased brass screws with nuts and lock washers.. so with a bit of care, they are easily installed and no sharp edges to worry with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts