BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know oil posts are the bane of a forum like this, but I haven't seen anything in the "Hall of Wisdom" that answers my specific question.

Since the BMW has a "dry" clutch, I'm thinking I can use a typical automotive (conventional) engine oil. Shop manual says API SF, SG or SH are acceptable. These API codes look like car oils to me. So my sense is I can buy Castrol 20W50, for example, and be ok.

When I bought the bike, the service department recommended 20W50, and gave me a complimentary quart of BMW 20W50 (API SG), in case I needed to add any (haven't yet).

I'm hoping my theory is correct as I'd rather buy four quarts at the local parts store for less than $2 bucks each, as opposed to riding 90 miles round trip to get 4 quarts of BMW 20/50 at dealer prices ($8 ?)...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
go get some mobil 1 from wally world, worked fine for the last 75k on mine.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I've used Castrol GTX in all of my motorcycles since 1975 and have not oil related problems to date. My advice is to change it often, every 3-4,000 miles, depending of course on your driving conditions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the word, guys!

Looks like I can buy a Bosch filter at the parts store as well!

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
cb550f said:
I've used Castrol GTX in all of my motorcycles since 1975 and have not oil related problems to date. My advice is to change it often, every 3-4,000 miles, depending of course on your driving conditions.
+1 on GTX

I am a synthetic user but until the 12000-18000 recommended by my dealer 20-50 GTX has been just fine, not a dropped used between changes.

Supporting my dealer best I can he does the even mileage by 6000 and I do the odd mileage by 3000.

I caught the gallons at Advanced for 7.98 and needless to say I bought plenty. 20-50w and 10-40w for us Northern winter riders :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts