BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 1999 k1200lt with 38000 miles and found it seems to slip out of first gear sometimes anyone else had this and what is fix?

·
Banned
588 Posts
Try a different transmission fluid. What do you run now? I found better shifting with AMSOIL synthetic GL5 75W90 Severe Gear Lube.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not a good sign frankly. Certrainly should not be having tranny problems with the few miles on the bike. Easy to get false neutrals with the BMW transmission though. Be sure you snap into first smartly (you don't need to stomp on it--just do it firmly) rather than just nudge it in. I used to get into neutral in the wrong places and occasionally it would slip out of a gear not firmly shifted into. Now it almost never happens.

Suggest you change the tranny fluid immediately unless it has been done recently. And get a good synthetic lub. I use Redline. Amsoil is also extremely high quality. With Redline I can honestly feel the bike shift smoother than it did with the OEM fluid.

Good luck. Hope that is what your problem is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
blackchopper said:
so it only down to oil then ?its no fault with the gear box?
Well, I'd certainly try the easy and inexpensive things first. Of course it could be in the gear box. And various possibilities within the box. Just how often is this happening? Occasionally, evertime?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
second day now with bike and seem to got the hang of it just have to keep foot on gear lever when you pull off and all fine but will get oil changed in next few days, have read some were else that this is a quirk of this gearbox so hopefully that should be it!!!! must say dam nice ride

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 99 does the same thing, always has. To engage 1st gear you have to hold the shift lever down and partially engage the clutch. You will feel it go into gear. it won't slip out after that. It takes practice.
Don

·
Registered
180 Posts
DGM said:
My 99 does the same thing, always has. To engage 1st gear you have to hold the shift lever down and partially engage the clutch. You will feel it go into gear. it won't slip out after that. It takes practice.
Don
Now I am not sure here but is it not possible both of you have a clutch adjustment problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nothing wrong with the clutch. You just have to nudge the gears on a '99 to get 1st.Never have had any problems with any other gears. The lead Mech showed me how to do it when I bought the bike.
Don

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
1st gear

I have a 2000 LT, and sometimes I do have a slight problem getting it in 1st gear from neutral. I have to let out on the clutch a little, and nudge it in. I have never had a problem with it slipping out of a gear once it was in though. jrlakin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts