BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first 1000km service today. Here is my cost. and check list. Next service 10,000km

Garry

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's actually not too bad, except the price of the gearbox oil - 0.5L $27.03?!!!
That's the most expensive oil I have ever seen.

BJ

garry_kramer said:
Had my first 1000km service today. Here is my cost. and check list. Next service 10,000km

Garry

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
bjedruszczak said:
That's actually not too bad, except the price of the gearbox oil - 0.5L $27.03?!!!
It's not the cost of the gear oil that surprises me, it's the fact that they charged for two 0.5 litre bottles.

The Slant/4 bikes only call for 180mL for a rear drive change. Many dealers will charge for a full 1-litre bottle, and just "keep" the rest. If this is sold as 0.5 litre bottle, then why do you need two?

On a K12LT I can understand this, as the transmission is separate from the engine and so requires separate gear oil changes. But the Slant/4 and Slant/6 engines share engine oil with the transmission so there's no separate transmission oil change.

I just had the 12K service done on my K13GT by a TX dealer (bike is still under warranty). They charged me for a full litre of gear oil (as usual), but were somewhat surprised when I asked for the bottle with the remaining oil. They complied without complaint, and I'll use the rest of the bottle at home for the next 4 final drive oil changes.

Either way, I'd love to poke around the official BMW Slant/6 Service Manual whenever they start to appear . . .

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
meese said:
It's not the cost of the gear oil that surprises me, it's the fact that they charged for two 0.5 litre bottles.

The Slant/4 bikes only call for 180mL for a rear drive change. Many dealers will charge for a full 1-litre bottle, and just "keep" the rest. If this is sold as 0.5 litre bottle, then why do you need two?

On a K12LT I can understand this, as the transmission is separate from the engine and so requires separate gear oil changes. But the Slant/4 and Slant/6 engines share engine oil with the transmission so there's no separate transmission oil change.

I just had the 12K service done on my K13GT by a TX dealer (bike is still under warranty). They charged me for a full litre of gear oil (as usual), but were somewhat surprised when I asked for the bottle with the remaining oil. They complied without complaint, and I'll use the rest of the bottle at home for the next 4 final drive oil changes.

Either way, I'd love to poke around the official BMW Slant/6 Service Manual whenever they start to appear . . .
The rear diff only takes 200ml they will be giving me the remaining gear oil so that I can do ~4 more changes with what they give me back.

Garry

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Garry,

Is that Castrol engine oil full synthetic oil?

As fas as the gear oil for the FD, if you weren't taking the other half liter with you, would they have charged you for the second bottle?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fluffy said:
Hey Garry,

Is that Castrol engine oil full synthetic oil?

As fas as the gear oil for the FD, if you weren't taking the other half liter with you, would they have charged you for the second bottle?
Only when I asked because of whet Messe said, they said they should of only charged me for 1 500ml bottle. Actually it is a 1ltr bottle and they charge for 1/2ltr to do the fill. So I will get the 1ltr bottle back.

Haven't asked about the Castrol Oil, but will.

Garry

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
Glad I could help. :)

Yeah, my 1 litre of BMW-branded gear oil was almost $25, so of course I was gonna keep the remains. With the miles I do and FD oil changes every 6-12K miles, that bottle will barely last a year . . .

With the Slant/4 bikes, BMW's official engine oil recommendation changed to Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 oil, packaged for BMW by Spectro. This was supposed to help minimize clutch judder or squeal on takeoff.

I'm not sure what weight the Slant/6 officially calls for. Is it listed in anyone's Owner's Manual?

When the TX dealer did my 12K, I noticed that I was charged for 4 quarts of "BMW Drum 10W-40". When I asked about it, they said "We've always used 10W-40 in those K-bikes." I assume that it came out of a BMW-blessed bulk oil drum, as it was definitely cheaper than the specified 5W-40, but still, the official spec must be there for a reason.

No matter, as a couple of weeks later, I'm already halfway to the next oil change . . .

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meese said:
Glad I could help. :)

Yeah, my 1 litre of BMW-branded gear oil was almost $50, so of course I was gonna keep the remains. With the miles I do and FD oil changes every 6-12K miles, that bottle will barely last a year . . .

With the Slant/4 bikes, BMW's official engine oil recommendation changed to Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 oil, packaged for BMW by Spectro. This was supposed to help minimize clutch judder or squeal on takeoff.

I'm not sure what weight the Slant/6 officially calls for. Is it listed in anyone's Owner's Manual?

When the TX dealer did my 12K, I noticed that I was charged for 4 quarts of "BMW barrel 10W-40". When I asked about it, they said "We've always used 10W-40 in those K-bikes." I assume that it came out of a BMW-blessed bulk oil drum, as it was definitely cheaper than the specified 5W-40, but still, the official spec must be there for a reason.

No matter, as a couple of weeks later, I'm already halfway to the next oil change . . .
My bill says 10W40 with BMW part # 92-33-2-074-742

Garry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! More than 300$? Just a question. Here in Italy, and in Europe also I think, the first 1000Km service is completely free. Do you mean that in the USA is not free?

I'm also interested in comparing the other service cost. Here you've to service every 10.000Km. It's the same for you? I've heard that in the USA the service is every 15.000Km. Is this true?

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
k1200lt_rider said:
Here in Italy, and in Europe also I think, the first 1000Km service is completely free. Do you mean that in the USA is not free?
The first 1,000 km service is not usually free in the USA. However, some dealers will "throw it in for free" when you buy a new bike.

k1200lt_rider said:
I'm also interested in comparing the other service cost. Here you've to service every 10.000Km. It's the same for you? I've heard that in the USA the service is every 15.000Km. Is this true?
You can see in the Maintenance Schedule page posted in another thread that the engine oil change is listed as "Annually or every 10,000 km" so that is the same.

Other items are listed as "every 20,000 km" or "every 30,000 km", or else they're time-based.

So it looks like these things are the same worldwide, as expected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whats the deal with the BMW Navigator and cost being warranty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts