BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a problem with the grub screw. Does anyone have a suggested speed bleeder that fits? The ones I can find are so long that the threads do not start well before they start to compress the check valve ball. Yes, I know you are supposed to press in to compress the check valve, but all I get are chewed threads on the clutch as the ball exerts more force than the threads can support. This obviously works for someone with more arm strength that what I can exert.

Having stripped out the top thread already, I am reluctant to proceed. BMW should have an adapter for this, but I don't know the part number, and the local shop has a poor record with this type of question.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Heat up the fitting and remove the Grub Screw altogether. You don't need it. The heat is because of the Lock-tight that they were assembled with. Then you can thread the Speedbleeder right into the caliper or hose just like all the other calipers.

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
I am not a big fan of speed bleeders since they have a coating on the threads to seal them. I am a big fan of their bag and hose for $6 that makes ALL bleed nipples a one person job.

The standard short 10mm bleeder will fit right into the grub screw port. You could borrow one from the front caliper. Just be careful and not mess with the front brake while you are doing it. Air will not go "down" into the caliper but some fluid might run out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did the same thing as John. After not being able to get the bleeder in I just heated up the vent that the grub screw goes into and it works fine. Just tighten when finished and all is good to go.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!

I 'solved' the problem last night by grinding down the bleed screw so it would fit. I may just remove the grub screw adapter as suggested when I do the brakes next month.

Jzeiler- why don't you like the sealant used on speed bleeders?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
r_figueroa said:
Jzeiler- why don't you like the sealant used on speed bleeders?
It creates friction in the threads and it is hard (for me anyway) to tell when I have them closed with out over torquing them. I had some that the sealent created so much friction on my MBG that I thought I had them closed and they were not. Found out the first time I hit the pedal.

Besides they are an added expense that is not neccessary if you use the bag and elevate it. I just open the bleeder and pump away then close the bleeder. Air bubbles will not go down the tubing. Been doing that for 7 years now.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
jzeiler said:
I am not a big fan of speed bleeders since they have a coating on the threads to seal them. I am a big fan of their bag and hose for $6 that makes ALL bleed nipples a one person job.

The standard short 10mm bleeder will fit right into the grub screw port. You could borrow one from the front caliper. Just be careful and not mess with the front brake while you are doing it. Air will not go "down" into the caliper but some fluid might run out.
I'm with John here. Buy the bag once and every bleeder becomes a speed bleeder! Well, nearly so anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts