BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here. I own an 02 GS and looking to sell my 03 Fat Boy and roll it into an LT. Are there any year specific problems with these bikes?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
fpmlt said:
Oh hell no!!!

I'm doing a minor tune-up on mine now. Shouldn't be more than a week and $1000. :histerica
Once he fixes that color it will all be fine.. =)

Just kidding.. =)

Coming from HD, I've found the LT to be more advanced technologically... which will mean higher part costs..

If you do work yourself, it will take a bit longer than the HD because you have to remove tupperware .... and things are a bit harder to get to in some areas of the bike. (tractor vs corvette)...

just search for "final drive", "rear drive", clutch, "slave cylinder" and you will hit 80 % of this bike's "issues".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am familiar with BMW parts prices, I have an 1150 GS. I do all my own wrenching.

So it sounds like the typical GS problems.FD, splines, clutch slave etc. right?

I'm looking for 1999 through 2005. The choice will be value oriented unless there is a "bad" or "less good" year situation.

Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd go for a 2005 or newer - more power, better low speed handling due to revised steering geometry, electro-hydraulic centre stand, revised instrument panel etc. etc. If you really want a pre 2005 LT, none of the years were particularly troublesome - a lot depends on what the previous owner (s?) have done - routine maintenance etc. If you buy one from a member here, you'll have a better chance of beeing able to research it's history.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts