BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :wave

I am in market to purchase my first touring bike :) . I found a couple of choices that fit my budget. Both are K1200LT. The first is a 1999 with 21K miles on it. The second is a 2002 with 56K miles on it.

I plan to use it for long and short distance and will be adding a lot of miles on it (minimum of 15K a year) . Can you help me with your experience with 2002 and 1999 in terms of reliability, and common issues? I live in central valley in California and the summer can get hot here. I will be using Premium gas throughout the year (unless its not recommended).

Thanks,
Amit.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The biggest diff between the '99 and the '02 is the brakes. The '99 has ABSII which is easier to service and if the ABS unit should go south on you the brakes will continue to function with the the same effectiveness albeit without the ABS feature. This design also makes it easier to change the fluid. The '02 has the integrated brake system which includes power assist and linked front and rear brakes. A little more difficult to change the fluid in but certainly can be done. If the ABS unit should go bad it would have to be replaced as the effort required to use the brakes goes up significantly. Think of using the power brakes in your car without the engine running.

The brakes on my pre January 1, 2001 build date has the older style brakes. I am personally OK with this as they are far and away the best brakes I've ever had on any motorcycle I've ever owned.

Either way you go get ready for the rides of your life. Great bikes and loads of fun to spend hours and hours on at a time.

Loren

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Loren has it correct! I also have the ABS-II, pre-Integral brakes on my '00 LT and actually are thankful for them every time I do a Brake Flush or Bleed! Just to make it a little more difficult to choose, the mileage numbers on both Bikes are really negligible for this Bike. If anything I would wonder about the low numbers on the '99 Bike! May have spent a lot of time parked, which is not always the greatest for any machine. And the only thing that you might expect to be going on the '02 at that mileage is the shocks.

Good Luck with either one and know that you will enjoy putting many more miles on whichever one you pick!

John

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I've got (soon to be sold and replaced with a K1600GTL) an 02 and it has given me 50,000 trouble free miles. With some help, I did my first brake flush last month in about an hour. Well, I watched and learned!

I'm sure that you will be happy with either one. Hang around this forum and you'll really learn a lot about your bike and how to take care of it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The above posts pretty well say it all. I love my simple brake system, but either one will be good assuming maintenance has been done regularly and there hasn't been any accidents.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone. The 99 was out of battery when I went to see it. It was never driven in rain/winter. The 2nd owner said he has it for last 8 years and he added 12000 miles on it. I will check with both owners to know if they bike has been idle for more than a year.

I have been riding cruisers for last 14 years ever since I was 16 and legally allowed to ride. My first personal vehicle was a motorcycle and my first salary got me a brand new cruiser. This is my first adventure into the sporting arena and I am amazed with the options and features.

Hope to see you on a road soon. :dance:

Amit.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Go with the 99.. It has fewer miles and the brakes are far simpler...

The 02 has NO advantage over the 99..
My 99LT was a great bike...I had minimal issues with it..
John

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings

Go with the '99. Winner everytime hands down.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
AU

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa big mistake! 02 with the ABS brakes, if only used once could make a big difference :) Hoping not though!

Now if you can find an 02 that is Toscana Green, now we're talking.....

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hey Dan, the '99 does have ABS! ABS II that is. It does not have the Integrated ABS with the power servo like the later LT's have.

John
DanDiver said:
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa big mistake! 02 with the ABS brakes, if only used once could make a big difference :) Hoping not though!

Now if you can find an 02 that is Toscana Green, now we're talking.....

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
being the owner of an 02 with the servo assist linked brakes I would not recommend them to any one.

NOTE: this is one persons opinion out of the hundreds that own them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We have a 2000 K1200LT without servo assist and a 2005 K1200RS with it. I would strongly prefer to have the non-assisted brakes. In fact I rarely ride the RS mostly because of how much I hate those brakes. The wife seems to like it. She has much less riding experience, so maybe it's good for newbies?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The only difference is the servo brakes...Let's face it if something in there goes wrong, It's going to cost you big time...

The brakes on the 99 are ABS just without the servo assist.. I can tell you I never had any stoping issues with my 99.....

I have servo on my 03 CLC and non servo on my 01 RT and had non servo on my LT..

My RT and LT stopped just as good as my CLC.. That CLC will throw you over the windshield if you over brake on it...It's way too easy to grab too much if you're not really careful...

I highly recommend staying away from the servo assisted brakes... There's just too much to go wrong.... Not that it does... Just that it's BMW and when it does, Look out....

The gear ratio on the 99 is also a little more fuel efficient...

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts