BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm the parts needed to upgrade from stock radio/cassette to a radio/cd unit .
Ex: some people saying the bmw 3 series e46 kit will work ..? These are avaiable on amazon so just wondering has anyone completed this upgrade with a pioneer or similar stereo unit .? Any links to stereo and kits greatly appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you can do a Youtube search, there are several videos on this. A popular one is from a member I recall seeing on this forum, WestVanDude. If memory serve me well, he had several videos on various upgrades for lights and things.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Why do you want to upgrade? Don’t you have the six disk player in the right side saddle bag?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya buddy
No I don’t have the cd changer in the side , I prefer space for other junk 😉 so I wanna install a replacement unit with cd 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005-on 1200RTs had vertically mounted radio/CD players and they would tend to skip like crazy over rough surfaces - I am speaking from experience. CD-players mounted flat (as on the 1200LT?) are more successful.

20 years on from 1999, folk are playing music from their cell-phones or from a "tunes-capable" or even Sirius-enabled motorcycle GPS to a bluetooth earpiece (and BMW have long since abandoned CD players on their motorcycles). If you still want something vertically mounted look for a radio unit with a USB receptacle to play your own music.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Save yourself a lot of hassle and just use a cassette adapter plugged into your phone or an MP3 player, after all, 1 CD plays up to an hour of music, my 4gb player has over 1000 songs and room for more.
Rig up a USB charger in the space where the cassette player is and you have non-stop music.:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes fair point ! But The issue is the AMps are blown in the radio with only output to one speaker ! I don’t like earpiece for sound - prefer the stereo speakers ! So I just need a modern stereo with decent amps that will fit with a adapter kit ..🤔

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Do a search on replacement radios there have been many different ones documented here over the last 15 years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am going to be experimenting with an Alpine CDE-193BT presently. There is a Connects2 interface that speaks I-Bus so it bodes well. Just the display is unlikely to work, but I have grand ideas about using a Pi or Arduino to deal with that. Whether that ever happens or not is a different matter!

·
Registered
697 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts