BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1999 LT Radio Cables

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Foodle 
#1 ·
Hi,

When I originally purchase the bike, late 2009, it was fitted with an after market radio. I have been patiently waiting for one to become available which I now have. Although I think this replacement is from a 2000 model and is a Radio/CD (BMW Professional 2000 ECE) .

I needed the aerial/antenna adapter, which I now have.

Right, now for connection. The main connection block connects fine and the radio powers up and displays BMW, then the name of the radio station it is broadcasting. The only button that works is the power button. Nothing else has any effect on the radio. Neither on the stingray control panel or the handle bar controls.

There is a ten pin white connector that looks like it should connect to one of the two sets of ten pins below the main conneciton block at the rear of the radio.

But unfortunately it will fit neither :(

Have I got the wrong wiring harness for this radio? Will this radio ever work with the bike controls? Is there an adapter I need to order?

I have told the wife if I bought another LT with a working radio I could use it for comparison but she didn't swallow that :(

If required I can take some photos and post them later.

Regards Nick

See less See more
#2 ·
I am begining to think the two lots of ten pins under the main connection are for other things like the Multi CD Changer.

And it should work as I have it, but it doesn't :(

Anyone good at diagnostics?

#5 ·
i have a spare older around 2002 stingray hareness but it does not accomidate the six stacker cd. if someone has messed with your harness to put in the aftermarket
radio in they may have damaged your harness . i know it worked on my 2002 it was in the bike till nov 2010. if your interested we can work out a deal

#7 ·
inside the stingray housing there is the main connector that pluge into the radio & the plug for the display assembly & also( i think) a metal 8 pin that hides inside stingray housing when i messed with my radio i forgot to hook it up and had issues.with most things not working. sorry i dident take pictures of the inside at the time.hope this & the pic helped

#8 ·
Thanks for the info :) Mine looks exactly the same.

To accomodate the after market radio an adapter was used that didn't require any modification to the original harness.

I think I will see if the supplier of the second hand radio has the RCU that was with the radio and test with that, if possible. Otherwise I guess there is an issue between my original RCU and the new to me radio.

#9 ·
Update.

Apparently they sent me a 2004 Radio/CD rather than a 2000 like they thought and I believe that is not compatible with a '99 bike :(

So a 99 Radio/Cassette is on its way and the other is going back. I use the Zumo for my stored music so no CD is not a loss :)

This better work LOL

#11 ·
Foodle said:
Update.

Apparently they sent me a 2004 Radio/CD rather than a 2000 like they thought and I believe that is not compatible with a '99 bike :(

So a 99 Radio/Cassette is on its way and the other is going back. I use the Zumo for my stored music so no CD is not a loss :)

This better work LOL

Where is your source of radios? There are people over here that are looking for radio units.

(Me)
2005 with CD.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.