BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Lt and love it. I recently found a 99 for a great price. 30,000 miles. What are the differences in the two machines? I'm thinkining service of the brakes (ie. bleeding) would be much simpler.Does it have abs?,linked brakes? How durable is the rear drive? I know everyone has an opinion,just thought I would find out what some of you guys thought about the 99 models before I buy a second Lt.

Doc

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Simpler brake setup for sure. Full ABS, no power assist, no link. Same as 2000 year. I prefer the early brake system.

You take your chances with rear drive failure with all years, IMHO.

You get better milage with the older gearing.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Yes on the ABS, No on the linked brakes.

I love my 99 LT with its 31K miles on it (bought it almost 2 years ago with 8700 miles). The only failure I had was the shift linkage, replaced with a unit from Phil (from this site).
I pretty much do my own maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
They came with defective designed starter relays; need to have the engine's programing chip replaced; do not come wired for heated seats unless ordered with them.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I had an 02 sold it to build a house for the twins. Went nuts in about six months, wife told to buy motorcycle. I wanted another LT and found a 99 with 15K. I wanted to things on it, intercom and GPS. Found and bought one. I do not know if this is in my mind, but it feels as if it rides better than my 02. I like the "not intergraded brakes", power brakes did not brother me on the 02. I had a u-joint go bad on the 99 and a dead battery in a week time. Fixed the u-joint and keep it on a trickle charger.

Have add the chip and exhaust which I bought through this web. See runs and runs well.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bayliner2052 said:
Simpler brake setup for sure. Full ABS, no power assist, no link ...
Don't think that's correct, Vince. The '99 LT did have full ABS AND linked brakes - what it did not have is the power brakes of the '02 and later models. The LT from day 1 (1999 model) had linked brakes.

- Bob

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
bob_menton said:
The LT from day 1 (1999 model) had linked brakes.

- Bob
Sorry you're mistaken. My 2000 doesn't have linked breaks. They came in the 2002 model.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bayliner2052 said:
Sorry you're mistaken. My 2000 doesn't have linked breaks. They came in the 2002 model.
This is NOT a real big deal, Vince, but I appeal to the larger LT community. My understanding is that the LT had linked brakes from the very first model in 1999. By this, I mean "fully linked": hit the front brake and you get front and rear; hit the rear brake and you get rear and front. The RT had "semi-linked" brakes: hit the front and you get front and rear; hit the rear and you get only rear. The only extra that came in 2002 was power brakes. What say you - who is correct here ???

- Bob

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bob,

Sorry Bob, but I have to side with Vince on this one. I have a 1999 with ABS, however , it does not have a linked braking system. I believe the changes happened in 2002 . Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
'99 & '00 LT did NOT have Linked Brakes

Sorry Bob, but Vince is correct here. In fact my '00 does not have linked brakes, Thank You very much! But it does most assuredly have ABS, and we're really appreciative of that! The LT didn't get linked brakes (or integrated) until '01 or '02.

John

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I will stand corrected and apologize if you're right, Patrick, but I had a '99 LT before the '02 LT I have now, and I was told that the '99 LT had fully linked brakes. Those who do not like the front brake activation when you press the rear brake pedal were complaining about this feature in 1999 - they wanted (in 1999) the "semi-linked" brakes of the RT and the K1200RS, and even asked if there was some way of modifying the LT's fully linked brakes to get the semi-linked brakes of the other models. Anyone else ???????

- Bob

·
Registered
176 Posts
Linked Brakes

I bought my 01 in 02. I bought the 01 because it did not have the linked brakes. I rode both and liked the 01 better.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
All of you are wrong, Honda has linked and BMW has intergraded. Lets use the right wording, now. I am getting confused. :)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
bob_menton said:
I will stand corrected and apologize if you're right, Patrick, but I had a '99 LT before the '02 LT I have now, and I was told that the '99 LT had fully linked brakes. Those who do not like the front brake activation when you press the rear brake pedal were complaining about this feature in 1999 - they wanted (in 1999) the "semi-linked" brakes of the RT and the K1200RS, and even asked if there was some way of modifying the LT's fully linked brakes to get the semi-linked brakes of the other models. Anyone else ???????

- Bob
Hey, Bob - more fodder. Toad has a pinhole leak in the rear brake line - I need to get it fixed and when I do, it's going back with braided lines. Butt, I found the leak by stabbing the foot brake and tracing the fluid splatter on the inside of a tupperware piece. When I wuz squeezing the hand brake in search of the leak location, the pinhole never dribbled. So, I'm guessing no linked brakes for Toad, an early '99. HTH.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Motorman587 said:
"All of you are wrong, Honda has linked and BMW has intergraded. Lets use the right wording, now. I am getting confused."

OK John, I agree that perhaps linked is incorrect, but so is "intergraded"! The correct word is integrated. And once and for all everybody, the early LT's did not have that, or the power assist!

Evidently the '02 was the first year for both of those features. Quick way to tell is to look at the calipers on the Bikes. If it says"BMW" on the outside of the caliper, the Bike has the newer integrated/power assist brakes! If it says "Brembo" the Bike has the older ABS without the integration or power assist!

Nuff said?

John

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
bob_menton said:

- Bob
Bob,
I am not aware of any, 1999, K1200LT with the newer linked (integrated) braking system. Did you ride it enough to verify the type of system? It is easy to recognize over a conventional system once you have ridden it a bit. The brochures from 1999, and 2000 say nothing about , linked ,or integrated. To the best of my knowledge the 2002s were the first with the newer braking systems. On their other hand I was wrong once , but I can't remember when that was.

As pointed out by other posts, integrated is the correct term, however you may have received some inaccurate advice from the BMW sales people. Often the guy on the dealership floor is the new hire and they have a tendency to get, technical matters , mixed up sometimes, like ABS Vs, Linked Vs, Integrated Vs, Power Assisted, etc. All the LTs have ABS, I believe that is the common thread shared by the different years.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Bob - more fodder. Toad has a pinhole leak in the rear brake line - I need to get it fixed and when I do, it's going back with braided lines. Butt, I found the leak by stabbing the foot brake and tracing the fluid splatter on the inside of a tupperware piece. When I wuz squeezing the hand brake in search of the leak location, the pinhole never dribbled. So, I'm guessing no linked brakes for Toad, an early '99. HTH.
First of all people from South Carolina, even cowboys, don't know what the hell they're talking about, I should know. Secondly, Dick you better quarantine that dang Toad. I just received a new rear brake line to replace one that developed a pin hole leak under the tupperware. What gives here, first the rear brake relay and now the rear brake line? Let me know what you find on Toad next and I'll go ahead and take preventative measures.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If it says"BMW" on the outside of the caliper, the Bike has the newer integrated/power assist brakes! If it says "Brembo" the Bike has the older ABS without the integration or power assist! John
John,
That about explains it in a nutshell. If you had spoken earlier then you would have saved a lot of model year explanations and technical language argument. I don't know why I did not think of that.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I also purchased a used Y2K bike with NOT wanting the power/linked brakes of the 02/03 bikes when mine was purchased.

Do my own work on the bike, so service issues with the earlier bikes was a non issue.

The taller 5th gear is indeed a better gas mileage issue too.

If the price is right ;) Why not purchase another.

Scott

1 - 20 of 38 Posts