BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 1999 LT with 70,000 miles. what are yall opinons on the mileage. Way too high and what kinda of matenience questions should I ask the seller? any help?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
70k is not much for an LT. If he has the service records and the bike has been kept up and you like it, go for it. Do some reading here but keep things in balance this bike has its own personallity.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As with any use vehicle purchase , look it over for signs of wrecks , half assed repairs and abuse . This bike I think is less likely to be abused because it is an adult bike of high price . If you can have someone with LT experience look over . As for the mileage , in the value listing books the larger bikes the less the miles devalue them and this one almost nothing to me .
I have ridden 99,03 and 05 Lts and prefer owning the 99 as it has simpler brakes , taller gearing and no electric center stand .
This great site can help you pare down your maintenance costs to something more sane !

You would have to start young and try hard to ware out and LT

Bob G

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great information....
Here is how the deal is cutting up.
Its is a 1999 with 70, and some change mileage. for $5,000
NO CB
AM/FM Cassette
NO CD OR CD CHANGER or GPS. So I see having to drop the change on that...
I dont think he has any shop records cause he said he did all the work himself.
The Email pcis look GREAT!
The seller is 4+ hours from me.
I guess I can pick up after market electronics.
I know the correct thing is have it inspected by a BMW dealer but the closet one to him is an hour away.
The one major factor that is making me skittish is the no mechanical records...
What the heck live and learn...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You can always put in an aftermarket radio and hook up a satelite radio, or ipod and not worry about a cd player. Threads on here on how to do that. Find out if a slave weep hole has been done by the p/o.

DesertCoyote said:
Great information....
Here is how the deal is cutting up.
Its is a 1999 with 70, and some change mileage. for $5,000
NO CB
AM/FM Cassette
NO CD OR CD CHANGER or GPS. So I see having to drop the change on that...
I dont think he has any shop records cause he said he did all the work himself.
The Email pcis look GREAT!
The seller is 4+ hours from me.
I guess I can pick up after market electronics.
I know the correct thing is have it inspected by a BMW dealer but the closet one to him is an hour away.
The one major factor that is making me skittish is the no mechanical records...
What the heck live and learn...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
You could always hope for one of the list members who are of the Texican persuasion to look her over for ya if one is out there! The mileage is certainly not too high for that year LT. Maybe even a little low by some standards! Look her over and take her around the block first, then get back to the list here with any concerns prior to laying down the bucks if you're concerned. Someone here will probably have the answers you seek.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
c00k1e said:
If my 85k '99 wasn't already mine - I would buy it!
My 60K '99 too...;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings

Go for it. My '99 is running like a German watch. It has 55,000km on her and is with regular love and care, will go for who knows how many more kilometres. Purchase your '99 and enjoy her. If you have any problems with her....this is the place to get all the help you may need.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello
If the seller has been doing his own maintenance!, he may have kept the reciepts for parts & oil etc, this would prove the maintenace, i do most of my own & i also keep all the details, ie valve clearances & bucket changeout etc, if it was me i would consider owner maintenance as good as dealer-within reason-, obviously if the seller had no grarge or tools i might get a tad suspicious.
Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got back from the BMWMOA Rally. I have a "young" 2000 K1200LT with only 25,000 miles on it. My wife and I met a great couple (Rick and Kim) while up there who rode an almost identical 1999 K1200LT, They have over 95,000 miles on the bike. Rick spends time on the forum (K12Rick is his nickname), and I would suggest you solicit his input. 75K miles on this bike certainly doesn't seem like much, depending on how well it's maintained.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you don't turn your own wrenches the largest concerns I would have are the clutch and final drive. The clutch can run about 2 grand at a dealer. It's about 400 to do it yourself but other than that on a 1999 model you may run into a leaking brake line (Spiegel replacements) or fuel line quick connect leakage as the originals are plastic but can be replaced with upgraded metal ones or 5/16 double barb fittings. It's a great machine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would go for it..... Like Dean says... Check the FD and clutch..
Those are the very expensive to fix parts..

The other stuff like cables, etc. can be updated later..
Great bike for the money... :)

I had an 05 , * When I get another one it will between the years of
1999 - 2004 !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts