BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifting links are real sloppy.

I hear of a upgrade of bigger parts (ball sockets that where bigger threads)

I want to hear upgrades and where did you buy the parts (part number if available)

Thank you in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
My shifting links are real sloppy.

I hear of a upgrade of bigger parts (ball sockets that where bigger threads)

I want to hear upgrades and where did you buy the parts (part number if available)

Thank you in advance.

Dan
Well. It's sort of a misconception You can upgrade if you chose too but. The issue is the shift linkage/ball ends are probably just in need of adjustment & cleaning most likely. The ball ends are most likely just loose & dry.(lack of lubrication) or loose linkage thread adjustment, or all three. Most likely it's just in need of tightening the ball ends, then clean and lube of ball/sockets Just pull the footpeg/shifter plate. Disassemble the linkage. Check if the shift balls are loose & tighten the loose ones. Check threaded linkages are tight & adjusted properly .Clean/grease the socket ends. Resssemble. It will shift like butter. Bmw motorrad or northern Illinois President Kirk Johnson has tons of (how to) LT videos. & has one on this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

I have about 1/2" of play on the toe shifter.

I belong to Kirk Johnson paid website.

A friend up graded his shifting unit.

[email protected] sell a complete big set like the 2005 LT.

I have 1999 LT.

First I will take it apart to see if it needs adjusted or replace.

This bike is a project of mine. I am doing a lot to it mostly maintenance up grade items.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Yea. Being Proper adjusted and lubed is the key. Once it's properly adjusted. Every couple years or so. Just disassemble and clean/grease. I've Never had an issue in 9 years.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
If you have that much slop, then your deflection lever #10 may be loose. Bolt #13 may need to be tightened but there is a sleeve #15 that #10 rotates on that should be lubricated while you have it apart. Once you get a good look under the cover, you can see that misconception James spoke of. Everything is tight and moves together but there is still what appears to be slop but it really isn't. Cleaning and lubing, possibly tightening some ball studs or the deflection lever through bolt may take care of a lot of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
When I first bought my bike I was having all kinds of trouble shifting up. I replaced the linkages with a kit I got off eBay and it removed quite a bit of play from the system.
The new ball and socket arrangement is fully sealed and because the ball and socket isn't just held together with a clip they are a snugger fit. Still fully adjustable and not really any harder to install than the original system. A big plus is you never have to pull them apart to service them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
When I first bought my bike I was having all kinds of trouble shifting up. I replaced the linkages with a kit I got off eBay and it removed quite a bit of play from the system.
The new ball and socket arrangement is fully sealed and because the ball and socket isn't just held together with a clip they are a snugger fit. Still fully adjustable and not really any harder to install than the original system. A big plus is you never have to pull them apart to service them.
You are still going to need to periodically depending on your environment pull it apart to lubricate the sleeve in the deflection lever to keep things moving smoothly as that is not sealed. I left one of the inner small rod ends OEM to facilitate that service so I can pull out the entire assembly with one bolt and one spring clip as I pull off the foot plate. I don't think I really lost anything in leaving one OEM ball end and mine were in good enough shape that I probably didn't gain much in overall tightness but having the sealed ends is a plus. I still need to get one of the new type foam type plastic bushings to cover that end as I got the bike and it had none on any of the 4 sockets at all so I cleaned them and grease them yearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
I remember seeing that. And it was expensive too, over $100 at least.
I don't see them anymore...
Could you point out where to get them?

I might wanna go that route.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my parts off of McMaster-Carr. Part number 9424K23. When I got my LT a couple of the sockets had worn so much the linkage was popping in and out and the little wire retainer clip was not holding it. These are 1:1 replacements, although if I remember correctly, there was one of these on the bike that was a little shorter on the shaft. But no problem replacing it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/124/1299

1 - 11 of 11 Posts