BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board and looking at a 1999 that has about 40K miles on it. Asking price is $9500, but I’ve already gotten the price down to $7500 via email. It has a heated seat (stock?).

What should I look for during my initial inspection and test ride? What are the common problems associated with this model year?

Should I skip this one and look for a newer one, 2000 or 2001?

Thank for helping a newbie.

Michael

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I have a 2000 LT with 118,000 miles with only one problem during the whole time. I'd say a $300 fix in that time period is about as cheap as you are going to get for maintenance.

Bike still runs just like new. The LT is a fine touring machine that can handle like a much lighter bike. It allows me to ride as sporty as my nerves allows. It is a fun machine that is also as comfortable on the long hauls as anything on the market.

Lots of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
First thing to check is if a skid plate was ever installed!
Speedo is off, by design. .9 times indicated sped is close to actual speed.
Starter relay should have been replaced along with chip in the engine’s brain.
Proof the annual and mileage maintenance was done.
Needs shocks by 40K

See if the low beam was ungraded to a HID light.

Sometime around 01 the ABS went to linked front and rear brakes; much harder to flush the brake system with linked ABS.

If the 99 didn’t come with heated seats, the wiring harness isn’t there for heated seats.

Front brake squeal can be reduced or eliminated with after marked pads.

Think I’d remove the plastic covers on the tip over wings and verify they haven’t been bashed.

Make sure the clutch isn’t slipping.
See if oil is seeping, in between the engine and trany.

Check the seal on the drive shaft.

See how well the mirrors line up with the fairing.

See if the seller has any extra parts, like oil filters, or a maintenance manual/CD.
Tools to go with the LT for changing the oil filter, and removing the trany drain plug.

See if the owner has a video on doing the LT maintenance.

Bob

·
Registered
185 Posts
7500 is a superb deal

I just bought a 00 for 9100, but it had 14K on it.
40K is nothing as long as it has been maintained well
larry

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would say that if $7500 is in the price range that you are looking in, I'd jump on it. $9500 would have been a little steep.
Just like anything, overall appearance and some sort of Service/Maint. record is always a good indicator wheather or not the bike was taken care of.
Of course, ask lots of questions. A lot can be learned from someones response, or lack thereof.
Generally, BMW owners tend to take care of thier bikes and do the required maintenance. Also, they may not buff and shine as often but they tend to notice when something isn't right.
Good, hard test ride (within your limits) to check for obvious things.
You may also want to put her up on the center stand and spin the rear wheel slowly, while applying lateral pressure to listen for any rough, grinding noises from the rear drive.
You wouldn't be taking any bigger chance on this beemer than any other bike and at 40K, the engine is still just a baby!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I think that's a really good price for a 99 with reasonable mileage. There weren't any significant issues on the 99 that make it worse than an 00 or 01. I had a 99 LT and I'm fairly certain I would still be riding it if it had not been totaled in an accident. The heated seat was an option on the 99 models so it is mos likely stock.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There was one thing I have not seen mentioned yet. On early '99's there was a radio problem, in that it would drain the battery even when turned off. BMW made a software change in the radio, and swapped out the ones that needed upgrading.

MOST of these were likely done, but the only way to know is to have the dealer read out the firmware version and see if it was upgraded. There was a way to press buttons on the radio and get the firmware version to read out on the display, but that was posted on the old Yahoo LT group, no longer available there.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I bought a '99 in April for a slightly higher price, slightly lower mileage, so your deal is a good one. If it has the heated seat it probably also has the heated hand grips, which come in very handy (heh). I was able to see the paperwork that the previous owner had kept, so I could verify that the owner had maintained the bike. On the test drive, just be aware that the bike can feel top-heavy at low speed and wants to lay down if you have the front wheel turned when stopping. Best purchase I have ever made, 6000 miles in the 6 months I've had it with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Go For IT

I got mine with 33K for about the same...without any heated stuff.... so you're in the ballpark...

Just remember, they make a little noise here and there... Most of the stuff you're gonna hear is normal....timing chain, alternator, but spin that rear and listen to it good... no crunchy noises please....

the motor is just getting broken in... a bit...

If it looks good and rides good. then it's a good deal at that price..

Enjoy that ride. And Good Luck !!!

Spence

·
Registered
168 Posts
No reason to skip a 99. I still consider mine new and it behaves as if it is. At 40K yours is hardly broken in yet.

Others have mentioned the things to watch for. I never did get the starter relay changed but have a volt meter instead. Just don't try to start it if voltage gets low on the battery or the solenoid will weld itself on.

The communications system on the 99 was originally called the BC1 that was trouble prone. If yours has a comms system, i hope it has been upgraded.

Enjoy.....Barry

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I bought a 99 last October with 15k. Asking price was $11500, but came with GPS, intercom and upgraded seat. I love it. Problem with mine, which I do not believe was the bikes fault, I just replace the shaft. I was told, for whatever reason, the shaft was not put together correct when and whoever worked on it last. I and gotten a vibration on road trip about a month ago.

Just added the new CB. I also have installed PIAA, euro windshield, XM radio, took out the CD player, wasted space. My favorite addition is chip and exhaust. I had a 02, (had to sell, wife got pregeant had to built house) and my 99 with chip exhaust, sounds and runs better then the 02. Probably just a mental thing.

I say buy it for that price.

·
Registered
558 Posts
A 99 Custom came stock with heated seats. If it is a Custom then your price is very good. The last I saw listed in MCN for my 99 which is a standard was a little less than $7,000. There is no way I would sell mine for that. The Customs started out $2,000 more than the standard because of the OEM goodies. I have about 37,000 on mine and it has given me almost no trouble-I am still running the original battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great info. I'll keep everyone posted as to how my search progresses.

Note: I've emailed for additional info, but I've gotten no response from the seller.

If anyone knows of an LT for sale (California) for $10K and under, please let me know.

Thanks again - Michael

·
Registered
93 Posts
1999 K1200lt

I just purchased a 1999 K1200LT Icon with 9,700 miles on it. I paid $8500 and it is in mint condition. I think thats a great price based on what I am reading here.

It had regular maintenance, but it sat in a garage for the better part of a year. The battery is good and seems to run fine. There are no leaks or strange griding noises that I can tell.

What do I need to upgrade /repair before I have a problem?

-Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts