BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 1999 K1200 LT this afternoon and when pulling away from a stop sign the bike just stopped running. The starter would turn the engine over, but it wouldn't start. Plenty of fuel, shut off switch in run position, and no other anomalies were noted prior to it stopping.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
bmw4jrd said:
I was riding my 1999 K1200 LT this afternoon and when pulling away from a stop sign the bike just stopped running. The starter would turn the engine over, but it wouldn't start. Plenty of fuel, shut off switch in run position, and no other anomalies were noted prior to it stopping.

Any activities leading up to this? Recent service? Any work done on the bike underneath the tupperware?

When you turn on ignition key, do you hear the fuel pump 'whirr' up?? When you say "plenty of fuel", you know this from the mileage since your last fill-up, or are you reading the fuel gauge?

Some answers may help the gurus point to an area of possibility. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
bmw4jrd said:
Need some more info..
  • Was it running good for the last week?
  • Did you open the gas cap and get a rush of air in the last month and possibly bending the pick up tube in the tank?
  • Any lights or stuff that don't work? Suggesting maybe a fuse?
  • When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump start and pressure up?

·
Banned
588 Posts
What was the last thing done to the bike?

Is the fuel pump working?

Do the spark plugs spark? Were they wet with fuel after trying to start?

How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Check the basics

Fuel
Spark
Air...

Let us know which is missing and we'll go from there.

Good Luck

John

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Canister still connected?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pesky problem

Greetings John.

What a real bummer mate. I know the feeling well. I also ride an '83 base K100. Love hate relationship, but that's another story.

Look, an old retired mechanic told me once that when you get these mystery problems, they used to begin with by checking the "FACTS". The "FACTS" being: Fuel, Air, Compression, Timing, Spark. Check everything related with these systems that you can, and you must find the problem. I know it sounds simplistic, but give it a go and you might be surprised.

Good luck
Paul Harrington
Australia

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Just a thought here... but can you hear the fuel pump start when you first turn the ignition on before cranking the engine up?
If not, then start looking at your fuses, then electric connections, including the ones inside the fuel tank (I know... it's a bear!!!:( ).
Have you recently replaced the fuel filter? Backward perhaps? Clamps in place?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who responded. I'll try to answer all of your questions.

The bike was running and I had ridden it just over 20 miles prior to it stopping.
The fuel tank was full, with only 47 miles since refueling.
I checked the fuses tonight and they were all ok.
All of the other electrical items work fine.
The bike has 62K miles on it and the last major service was 10K miles ago.
There was no rush of air when I opened the fuel cap.
I do hear the fuel pump start and pressure up when I turn on the key.

This weekend I'll check the plugs for spark and "wetness".

Thanks again.
John Daeger
Paulding, Ohio

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok a thought just occured to me. It may be stupid, but I was told the only stupid question is the one you did not ask. Did you hit the kill switch by accident and did not notice it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
robasay said:
Ok a thought just occured to me. It may be stupid, but I was told the only stupid question is the one you did not ask. Did you hit the kill switch by accident and did not notice it.
Not a stupid question...(don't ask how I know):eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to the 1200LT and haven't looked at how the side stand interlock works. However, I had a similar problem after 20 miles of dirt road on my '93 K1100LT (on which the interlock prevents starting with the side stand down, even in neutral). A small stone had wedged itself in the perfect position to hold the interlock switch open after I raised the side stand. You might try raising and lowering the side stand a few times, or putting the bike on the center stand and seeing whether you can manipulate the interlock switch by hand.

This kind of sudden failure sounds as though something has interrupted power to the ignition circuit, though with fuel injection there are many other possibilities too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts