BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 99 I'm converting to bobber. Not sure how to delete reverse, when I unplugged the module and removed it from the vehicle the bike would not turn over, so I need to find a way to bypass the reverse module. Also I have a plug from what I think is my throttle position sensor that is plugged into nothing and I dont know where its supposed to go. I'll also be needing to instal an after market fuel pump so I can swap tanks and I'm not sure yet what fuel pump and how to wire it. Thank you. I have a lot to do, also looking to shorten wiring harness but unsure which relays and fuse boxes I can delete now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,070 Posts
The reverse controller handles several signals like neutral indication and side stand interlock. I have researched this and have a readout document that should help you.

Be sure and post some pictures here when you have her finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello, I have a 99 I'm converting to bobber.
Not sure what you have in mind but I can't think of a worse bike to try to convert into a bobber. When I take the plastic off and look at what's underneath, it is a massive ugly aluminum casting, a distorted tank made to fit over the air filter. Steel tank cover bars, tip-over bars and fairing mounts sticking out. Radiator sticking out in front. The wiring is a nightmare.

You have a bunch of good parts. You'd probably do better to part out the bike and start with a simpler bike. The extent of my bobber mod is to take off the top case :)

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
Reactions: Scimitar

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well if done right the LT could be a nice Bobber like this well done RS.
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I consider it an abombination to take a high specification 'bike like an LT and effectively destroy it for a fashion whim. If you want a basic 'bike, buy one or at least start with something more primitive.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but creativity is a funny thing. If you have a vision, sometimes you just need to make your dream real. I love my LT, but the bike John posted was nicely done. I say let Brendank have a go at it. Might be very satisfying for him.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I consider it an abombination to take a high specification 'bike like an LT and effectively destroy it for a fashion whim. If you want a basic 'bike, buy one or at least start with something more primitive.
I get what you're saying but I kind of feel the same way every time someone comes on here to tell us they are parting out a bike. I remember someone else a couple of years ago was in the process of bobbing an LT. I don't think I ever saw the result if indeed there ever was a result. I have to agree that the LT is not a very good candidate for customizing but if he has the time, talent, and patience I say give it a go. If the alternative is parting out why not give it another life.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,069 Posts
I like the idea. I have four K1200LT's to ride & two others I have disassembled for parts. My 2004 LT has over 200,000 miles on it and the ABS & servo brakes quit so I by passed the ABS unit. This bike doesn't owe me anything & it isn't worth much. I'm thinking of turning it into a track bike and getting it light as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts