BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was traveling to work the other day, taking a right lane merge (not a 90 degree right turn), when I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and the back tire locked up. The momentum of the turn and my speed caused the bike to continue to turn sharply to the right, and by the time I had come to a stop I had done a complete 180 degree turn, facing the opposite direction, with the bike resting on its right side, looking back at traffic that had stopped behind me.

It all happened very fast, and I was not even certain the tire had locked up until I saw the skid mark. In fact, I initially thought I had spun out on some oil on the pavement. But the skid mark was there. It was not hard to see as I was looking back in that direction when I got up off the ground.

So my question is: does anyone know what would cause my transmission to lock up? Are there things I can do to test your theories? On occasion, I have had loud, rhythmic clattering noise when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (only), but this was the first time it locked up. Just so you know, the splines were lubed about 4000 miles ago.

Any ideas/explanations would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, I see no responses so far. Hmmm.

Maybe additional information can help. In case you were thinking I locked up the rear wheel with my rear brake, I do not use my rear brake, unless I am approaching a complete stop. That is a habit I have had for years. Plus, the ABS is supposed to prevent wheel lock up when the brakes are applied. Right?

Also, I did not downshift into 2nd gear at a high rpm, which might temporarily cause a squeal or at least substantial engine braking.

If you cannot venture a guess about the wheel lock up, maybe you can tell me what is causing the loud transmission clattering when I drop from 3rd to second gear? The clattering happens when I initiate the downshift and before the transmission is actually in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am the second owner. Presently, it has 23,000 miles on it, and about 8,000 of those are mine over the last 17 months. The PO seemed to be like the kind of person that would have maintained it.

I have changed all the fluids at least twice (engine, transmission and final drive), installed new tires, new front brake pads, new brake fluid, new battery, new clutch and clutch kit, new rear main seals, new transmission seals, and new final drive seals.

When I did the fluid changes all of the fluids looked good, with no evidence of irregular or unusual wear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there sorry I have no help to offer but exactly the same has just happened to me,however my machines decided not to. Go in to second from third at standstill after first locking up this morning on way to work thankfully in a straight line unlick your good self. Have you since found the cause I wonder?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really have no idea what caused the locking of the rear wheel. I started thinking that maybe I had applied the rear brake after all, but I do not really think so. And I have tried the rear brake several times since then and it does not lock. It works as expected.

I am still wondering about the noisy down shifting problem from 3rd to 2nd gear too. It is odd, and a passenger heard it happen recently and was baffled by it. I am wondering if their is a relationship between the two things.

So I do not know what to think. At the moment I pretty much avoid right turns!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts