BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here, I am a Kawasaki Voyager Rider, I have a couple of them and decided to try something Different. I have been contacted by a gentleman that would want to trade his 1993 KT1100LT with 74,000 miles. I could tell you everything you wanted to know about a Kawasaki Voyager but nothing about the BMW line. I am looking for people to be up front and truthful about this model of BMW. Please tell me all the pluses and minuses you may know about this bike. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If it's in good shape there's not a lot of bad about a K1100LT...

Before the 1200's there really weren't any major issues...

Go for it.. I'd love to have one...

John

·
Registered
167 Posts
..... had K11LT, before moving to the K12, great Bike ..... the problem is not with the Bike (assuming that he is in a good shape) the problem is with the year, after all you are looking at 17 years old machine ..... and one more thing , drop it off at a local dealer for Pre-Sale inspection .....

·
Registered
62 Posts
yair1956 said:
..... had K11LT, before moving to the K12, great Bike ..... the problem is not with the Bike (assuming that he is in a good shape) the problem is with the year, after all you are looking at 17 years old machine ..... and one more thing , drop it off at a local dealer for Pre-Sale inspection .....
I'll second that, they go on for ever if looked after.

Consider shocks and brakes as consumables at that age.

Also bear in mind, until the 1200, the K series bikes weren't the best bikes for riding. You will feel the frame flex, the engine is load bearing so all the vibes (of which there are plenty) go straight to the rider.

With the 1200's came a new aluminium frame with the engine isolated, and also telelever suspension.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Had a 91 KllLT, put 150,000 miles on it. Probably one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Fit like a glove, bought a Russell seat and could ride 1000 mile days anytime. Bike was bullet proof as long as you lubed the drive splines about every 40,000 miles. Real pain to do, lots of disassembly work to get to them. After having 2 K12LT's, I am looking for a bike like the K11 but with cruise control, want a smaller bike weight wise. Agree with the above, get it checked out by a dealer or someone that knows the bike. If in good shape, it's a great bike. Good luck.....Bob

·
Registered
519 Posts
Had a K1100LT (93) for 13 years ( before I got the 1200LT) last year.

Wife and I travelled on this bike across Canada, and most of the US in the 13 years we had the bike. Put well over 60,000 miles on this bike, without so much as a flat tire!!
This bike was BULLETPROOF!!!
I sold mine in May 2009, and really should have kept her!!
Great bike, and even through its 17 years old, it would be still dependable and realible!!
One problem might be parts, but I am sure there are a lot of these still around at a good price!!
I would go for it!!
Regards,
Bowdon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Kurtverbose said:
I'll second that, they go on for ever if looked after.

Consider shocks and brakes as consumables at that age.

Also bear in mind, until the 1200, the K series bikes weren't the best bikes for riding. You will feel the frame flex, the engine is load bearing so all the vibes (of which there are plenty) go straight to the rider.

With the 1200's came a new aluminium frame with the engine isolated, and also telelever suspension.
+1 on the vibration. The "K-Buzz" was the worst around 4000 rpms and was one of the reasons I got rid of my '96 K1100LT. I just felt a touring bike shouldn't make my hands go numb in the first 100 miles of travel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
pickerbiker said:
+1 on the vibration. The "K-Buzz" was the worst around 4000 rpms and was one of the reasons I got rid of my '96 K1100LT. I just felt a touring bike shouldn't make my hands go numb in the first 100 miles of travel.
The Honda ST1100 of the same period was a much better bike. It was just as reliable, had a really smooth engine with more power (certainly a better torque curve), longer gearing and handled better.

Didn't have the electric screen though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Common complaints about the K1100LT and how to mitigate them:

Mushy rubber mounted steering: Add a washer to the base of each mounting bushing and the steering becomes almost rock solid.

Front end dive: Upgrade to slightly stiffer Race Tech fork springs.

Buzziness: Install NGK iridium spark plugs (DR7EIX) and synch the throttlebodies. Both of my K1100s purr.

Thigh heat:

1) Add some more insualtion under the tank.

2) Add a thermo fan switch ($25) to make the fan kick in ealier.

Rear shock is so-so: Upgrade to an aftermarket shock.

The handling is GREATLY improved if you run radial tires instead of bias ply.

They're topheavy: Not much you can do about that. Not great for slow speed but works great when you get the speed up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
solodadof 2
I agree with Flying Duck. I rode my 93 K1100RS for 11 years and 68K miles. I loved that bike.
1. changed the front fork springs to Progressive
2. changed the handlebars to K75C bars
3. changed rear shock to Works Performance
4. changed seat to Corbin and IT NEVER softened up

Don't worry the bars on the K1100LT. They are completely different than the RS bars. I know a great rider and BMW mechanic and he says the K1100LT is the best handling bike by BMW in the K bike line in that era. Buy it and enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts