BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 55,000 miles I had the crown bearing on my '00 replaced with the 17 ball bearing, Part # 33 12 1 468 899. Now at 77,000 miles it seems to have failed again. When the bearing was replaced at 55K, I definitely asked for specifically for the "new" 17 ball bearing and the part number above is on the invoice. I believe that is the correct number for the 17 ball bearing. Am I right?

The symptoms are somewhat different than what I read from others. For the past 400 miles I have thought I heard a soft rubbing sound. Repeated inspections did not identify anything unusual, no play in the wheels, no interference, I only heard the brake pads rubbing slightly when the wheel was spun on the center stand. I was beginning to think I was becoming over sensitive and that this was a normal sound that had been there all along. Then yesterday I began to not only hear it, but felt a very slight vibration in the foot pegs. I ran my errand, about 30 miles, and again check it out. This time there is very substantial grinding when the rear wheel is rotated.
It's going on the trailer later this morning for the 65 mile trip to the dealer. I'll update this after the dealer opens her up and confirms the failure.

Dave Granzin
Rochester, NY

00 K1200LT
04 R1150GS
93 Honda Nighthawk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
Keep in mind. Just because you request a specific part doesn't mean that you will get it. It goes from service writer to parts to order (a specific part number) and then it is delivered and installed.

I have heard of this before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
And another bites the dust!!! How it happened and why does not matter here.
You CAN'T avoid this problem design, it's a ticking bomb in every case sooner or later.

It'll keep happening and the Germans are hoping they can get away with this major flaw relatively unscathed until the next LT is born.

All will be forgotten when the last model year of this current LT generation reaches it's "out of warranty" date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
And another bites the dust!!! How it happened and why does not matter here.
You CAN'T avoid this problem design, it's a ticking bomb in every case sooner or later.

It'll keep happening and the Germans are hoping they can get away with this major flaw relatively unscathed until the next LT is born.

All will be forgotten when the last model year of this current LT generation reaches it's "out of warranty" date.
The number of failed 17-ball bearings can still be counted on one hand -- and someone can correct me, but I've yet to recall a single failure that wasn't a replacement unit, going back into a (suspect) drive housing (heck, we're not even sure the currently discussed unit is a 17-ball bearing yet!). Even then, the number of 17-ball failures in old 19-ball housings is a fraction of the number of replacements that have been made.

Whether or not BMW has done right by us by refusing to provide a blanket "we'll fix the 19-ball units up to X miles", it sure looks to me like the "fix" works. Recognize that there will never be "zero" failures -- final drive bearings have occassionally (rarely, but occassionally) failed for *decades* -- my knowledge goes back to at least '70s airheads. The current 17-ball failure rate, minisucle as it is, seems a lot more in line with history than the '99-'03 19-ball failure rate.

Separate subject: From my perspective at least, your posts on this subject are getting more than a bit boring/tiresome.

Every single time a bearing issue is reported or raised, you rant about the "evil empire" as if nothing has been done to address the issue, but fail to add anything positive to the discussion. Given how much effort has been expended by members of this group over the years through direct contacts with various people in and near BMW, with no result other than an unofficial commitment to cover replacements within broad guidelines of mileage/time/phase of the moon, I can guarantee that no amount of raving on this site will get BMW to suddenly "fess up" and guarantee everyone's bearings for life. Time to move on to another "cause."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
mneblett said:
The number of failed 17-ball bearings can still be counted on one hand -- and someone can correct me, but I've yet to recall a single failure that wasn't a replacement unit, going back into a (suspect) drive housing (heck, we're not even sure the currently discussed unit is a 17-ball bearing yet!). Even then, the number of 17-ball failures in old 19-ball housings is a fraction of the number of replacements that have been made.

Whether or not BMW has done right by us by refusing to provide a blanket "we'll fix the 19-ball units up to X miles", it sure looks to me like the "fix" works. Recognize that there will never be "zero" failures -- final drive bearings have occassionally (rarely, but occassionally) failed for *decades* -- my knowledge goes back to at least '70s airheads. The current 17-ball failure rate, minisucle as it is, seems a lot more in line with history than the '99-'03 19-ball failure rate.

Separate subject: From my perspective at least, your posts on this subject are getting more than a bit boring/tiresome.

Every single time a bearing issue is reported or raised, you rant about the "evil empire" as if nothing has been done to address the issue, but fail to add anything positive to the discussion. Given how much effort has been expended by members of this group over the years through direct contacts with various people in and near BMW, with no result other than an unofficial commitment to cover replacements within broad guidelines of mileage/time/phase of the moon, I can guarantee that no amount of raving on this site will get BMW to suddenly "fess up" and guarantee everyone's bearings for life. Time to move on to another "cause."
O.K., I get the main idea. My apologies to this forum and BMW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
O.K., I get the main idea. My apologies to this forum and BMW.
No need to apologize to anyone -- least of all BMW, given their unconscionable ignoring of our collective pleas for info/assistance! Just looking for the skipping record to move on to the next track ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
dgg155 said:
At 55,000 miles I had the crown bearing on my '00 replaced with the 17 ball bearing, Part # 33 12 1 468 899. Now at 77,000 miles it seems to have failed again.

Dave Granzin
Rochester, NY

00 K1200LT
04 R1150GS
93 Honda Nighthawk
Dave,,, I hope the first repair was less than 12-24 months ago . It then may be a warranty issue. Good Luck.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top