BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I haven't been on the forum for a while, but wanted to post that I,ve purchased a new 1600 GTL 3 weeks ago have taken it in for the first service at 700 miles. Since day one there has been a whining noise that becomes more pronounced above 65 mph, such that you cannot hear the mufflers unless you throttle hard. The dealer test rode it today and says it doesn't sound normal so is going to do a longer test ride tomorrow to try to pin point the source.
Has anyone else had this issue?
On another note, I also find that I have to be quite agressive on the shift from 1st to 2nd or it winds up in nuetral. Dealer says this is somewhat normal!
Any comments are appreciated.
tks

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as shifting 1st to 2nd I find it shifts perfectly around 3500 to 4500 RPM's, pre-load the shifter with your foot and just a quick pull on the clutch and it shifts smartly and quickly.

Dave 2012 GT

·
Registered
616 Posts
dderrig said:
As far as shifting 1st to 2nd I find it shifts perfectly around 3500 to 4500 RPM's, pre-load the shifter with your foot and just a quick pull on the clutch and it shifts smartly and quickly.

Dave 2012 GT
+1000

The more deliberate you try to be with the shift, the worse your results will be. Just "kiss" it into gear (after pre-loading) with some decent RPM's and it will reward you with a smooth, precise up-shift. Use this approach for all up-shifts.

BTW, this bike's shifting behavior is exactly like my '99 LT's, so this is not a new thing as far as my experience goes.

Can't help you on the gear whine...the only noises I hear are sweet music. :dance:

Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This bike likes RPM.... On this bike everything is better above 3500rpm.. I have no gear whine at all from my bike, sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
medauto said:
This bike likes RPM.... On this bike everything is better above 3500rpm.. I have no gear whine at all from my bike, sorry.
Just wondering how many miles you have on it and if it had any whine noise when new. The dealer says it is normal for these bikes and it may lessen as I put miles on it, but it definitely has a whine noise (transmission or drive train I think) but figuring out where it is coming from is almost impossible. The dealer says transmission gears are straight cut and do make a little noise. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
313 Posts
The 1600 sounds much like the 12/1300 engine. I think what you're hearing is the straight cut primary gears from the crankshaft to the clutch basket. BMW uses the straight cut gear over the quieter bevel cut gears due to their superior power transfer. That's all good for me though, because the whine is sheer intoxication. Can't get enough of it. I'd like to get a mix tape of that sweet sound. :D :D :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
+ on shifting above 3,500.

The higher the better and the smoother it shifts into the next gear. I'm not really used to shifting that high, but it all really comes together much better at a higher RPM. Between 1 and 2, It really makes a difference if you pre-load the shifter.

Pre-Loading = putting a little pressure on the shift lever it before shifting. I don't understand this, but it works!

To me the whine is like the turbo sound of a very expensive sports car. I really can't get enough of it. and out on the open highway, wow!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So the 1600 has the "K-Whine" ... umm ... "feature"? :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to hear it for myself, but I hope it's more like my '06 GT was, and NOT like my '02 LT. I did find the whine of my LT to get annoying on long stretches over the super-slab.

As for a required shifting technique to get a smooth shift ... When is BMW going to figure out how to get their bikes to shift like Jap bikes??? I've owned 2 BMWs, and 9 Jap bikes, and the comparison is just silly. Or maybe BMW is just trying to compete with Harley Davidson. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The shifting, when done correctly does require a learned or acquired feel. I had to learn the technique. Not as simple as any previous non BMW bike I've owned and definitely not "plug and play."

The only time I hear the whining is at the peak of a gear change. Never hear it after that. I know that sometime I'll extend the RPM a little just, just to hear it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
So the 1600 has the "K-Whine" ... umm ... "feature"? :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to hear it for myself, but I hope it's more like my '06 GT was, and NOT like my '02 LT. I did find the whine of my LT to get annoying on long stretches over the super-slab.

:
That wasn't a whine you were hearing but the siren from the cop car you were running from. :histerica

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
mwnahas said:
That wasn't a whine you were hearing but the siren from the cop car you were running from. :histerica
Busted. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picked up a new 2013 GTL 3 weeks ago. Traded a 2004 K1200GT. I rode the GTL a couple of miles without ear plugs on Monday and could not believe the LOUD gear whine and loud CLUNK when shifting. In the lower gears it sounds like a diesel truck turbo spooling up. This racket is obvious even through the ear plugs. There are a lot of great things about the bike, but this racket is a huge step backwards in refinement from my old GT. No shifting problems though as some have reported. :mad:

·
Registered
431 Posts
The gear whine is one of the reasons I passed on the K1600. No way I could live with it. Pity, because it really spoils a beautiful engine. I had it for a year on a Pan European and that was enough.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was planning on buying a GTL, and sold my LT in preparation. When a demo was available I took a 75 mile test ride on all kinds of roads. The whine was just one of the reasons I did not buy it, but it was pronounced and annoying. They all do that did not sell the bike for me. I hoped for those who bought one, the noise would subside after break in. I do not know.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
837 Posts
The whine that some like and others dislike is in all K1600's that I have ridden and yes it can make or break a purchase for some. I can't recall which forum I was one, but one K1600 owner had his transmission replaced and saw that most all the driven gears were in fact bevel cut which came as a surprise as it was assumed they were straight cut. Where the whine actually comes from is unknown as best I know. It could be from any number of engine components, but it is a common feature. Perhaps one day I will take a stethoscope to mine and try to narrow down where the whine comes from but for me it is no big deal. Too many other things to worry/wonder about besides a whine. In reality I got used to the whine pretty quick but it certainly doesn't mellow with age or miles.

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts