BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

'16 R1200RT Instrument Gauge Cluster Reset

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  thebitterprinter 
#1 ·
I am thinking that my RT's battery and the tire pressure monitors may be on their last legs. The bike is a '16 R1200-RT and was manufactured in Feb/2016. I've been riding the bike for 30K flawless miles. Just recently I have discovered that I need to reset the desired settings on the gauge cluster at least one time per driving event. After starting out the bike's instrument clusters setting will suddenly return to the factory settings. I then have to stop and select the desired settings using the "wonder wheel". Other that this inconvenience the RT's gauges the bike has preformed flawlessly. Has anyone else had this problem?

Regarding the tire pressure monitors, after starting out and riding for a short time the low pressure time warning presents itself on the gauge cluster. After this happens I stop and confirm that the tires are at the proper pressure. I then drive on for a time and the warning lights then return to normal.

I'd like to think that both of these issues are a result of a weak battery and not a gauge cluster that is going bad.

I'll appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Jim Prior
Cottonwood Heights, Utah

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 16 rt and my front sensor would drop out at about 6 miles from home. Under 10 miles later it would reset to tire pressure. If the sensor did not restart I would get the low pressure warning light. Again once the sensor started working the warning light would go out. This gradually got worse and I had the dealer check them out. They replaced them under warranty. I had about 16000 miles on the odometer. Funny thing was the front sensor is what I told them about. When I picked up the bike the front sensor was malfunctioning again. I called . Their tech said he tested both front and rear and the rear said it was bad. So I ended up with both R and F replaced.

#3 ·
I'd like to think that both of these issues are a result of a weak battery and not a gauge cluster that is going bad.

Thanks,
Jim Prior
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Hi Jim, my '16 was also built in Feb 2016 and its TPMS sensors recently died at about 44K miles, albeit slowly over about 3 months, so I had them replaced by a local dealer. I replace the battery every 3 years regardless of condition--it's really pretty cheap insurance and the consequences are significant I feel. I'd put in a new battery. Surprised your tire sensors are going out if they are as the bike does not have the miles even if a similar age.

#4 ·
First time I hear that the TPMS sensors batteries can be changed?
I don't see any mention of this in my repair manual.
How is it done?

#8 ·
I am only on my third battery in 16 years on the LT, got 5 years out of the OEM and 9 on the first PC-680. Neither was a dead battery just appeared to be weak. Never had a tender on the OEM.

#11 ·
I am thinking that my RT's battery and the tire pressure monitors may be on their last legs. The bike is a '16 R1200-RT and was manufactured in Feb/2016. I've been riding the bike for 30K flawless miles. Just recently I have discovered that I need to reset the desired settings on the gauge cluster at least one time per driving event. After starting out the bike's instrument clusters setting will suddenly return to the factory settings. I then have to stop and select the desired settings using the "wonder wheel". Other that this inconvenience the RT's gauges the bike has preformed flawlessly. Has anyone else had this problem?

Regarding the tire pressure monitors, after starting out and riding for a short time the low pressure time warning presents itself on the gauge cluster. After this happens I stop and confirm that the tires are at the proper pressure. I then drive on for a time and the warning lights then return to normal.

Thanks,
Jim Prior
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
I had a similar issue and stuck my head up my ass because the instruments always reset. Long and short, one time stranded with a dead battery taught me a valuable lesson... a new battery is much is cheaper than a tow. I seem to get 4 years out of a battery so I would replace that first and see if it fixes your issue. If not, you needed a new battery anyway and potentially saved a real hassle down the road. I am also having an issue with my rear TPMS, which is unrelated. There is a difference, that is described in the owner's manual, between the warning light for low pressure, bad TPMS battery, and lost connection to the TPMS unit. Make sure you know which it is and then you can diagnose what needs to be done. My issue is a communication failure so I need to replace the TPMS on my next tire change. Of course, that is the most expensive issue to resolve. It is damn concerning when it lights up. It sends a shiver up your spine when you see the warning light for tire failure pop up. It pisses me off to have to replace the unit (over $250) but the peace of mind of not seeing that warning light is worth it to me and it is a quick fix when the tire is being replaced anyway.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.