BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep.....it only cost $16 for my rack I just put on today!

Well :rolleyes: ......unless you count the four days of machining, tooling, drilling, and tapping it took to make my own rack with an authentic BMW metal logo. I sure wish I had a C&C to do all this!

BMW 750i aluminum valve cover = $6 (pictured below after cutting)
Fastenal hex bolts = $4.50
4 ea rubber stoppers from Home Depot = $4.50
Sheet of 1/8" "scrap" aluminum from scrap metal pile = Free

Walla.....custom rack! :dance:

After I got home, I showed my wife and she said...."why didn't you make it so the trunk could fit on top?" What a great idea! I may do that the next time I have four days to burn! :D Chaaaaaa!

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
Yep.....it only cost $16 for my rack I just put on today!

Well :rolleyes: ......unless you count the four days of machining, tooling, drilling, and tapping it took to make my own rack with an authentic BMW metal logo. I sure wish I had a C&C to do all this!

BMW 750i aluminum valve cover = $6
Fastenal hex bolts = $4.50
4 ea rubber stoppers from Home Depot = $4.50

Walla.....custom rack! :dance:

After I got home, I showed my wife and she said...."why didn't you make it so the trunk could fit on top?" What a great idea! I may do that the next time I have four days to burn! :D Chaaaaaa!
Wow, Kenny - that's great!! And I like your wife's idea about being able to mount the trunk on top of the rack. Would almost seem like all it would take would be longer hex bolts running thru a short bushing to support the trunk. Maybe some mods to the wiring harness. I never have a passenger, so won't need to adjust the backrest. Hmmmmm - possibilities, possibilities.

Thanks for sharing, Kenny. Good job. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I like the way you rounded all the edges. Mine has sharper edges, and when I was trying to place my Cortec bag, using bungie type cords, I had to tape all the edges where they crossed so they wouldn't cut the cords.
Very nice.
With my sick sense of humor, I think I'd have left off the BMW and put something like "hydrogen powered" on it. Would'a been fun watching people try to figure that out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dick, Thanks! :wave
fpmlt said:
I like the way you rounded all the edges. Mine has sharper edges, and when I was trying to place my Cortec bag, using bungie type cords, I had to tape all the edges where they crossed so they wouldn't cut the cords.
Very nice.
With my sick sense of humor, I think I'd have left off the BMW and put something like "hydrogen powered" on it. Would'a been fun watching people try to figure that out.
Great idea! The beauty of the design is that the BMW "placard" can come off.....hmmmmm Hydrogen Powered.....or find one of those "Hybrid" logos on Hondas or Toyotas.....I bet that would get some attention! :thumb:

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is a nice rack. Now I see you have time to do other projects so how about finishing with my tools that I sent you and send them back to me.
DON

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1dbweldor said:
That is a nice rack. Now I see you have time to do other projects so how about finishing with my tools that I sent you and send them back to me. DON
Don,
In fact, they are boxed up with some extra goodies for you upon receipt! I know they were waaaaay overdue in getting them back to you, so I made an identical extra set for you just in case anyone asks for your help in the future! I truly respect the time you put into making 'em.....I made several sets for others here at this end! They'll go out with tomorrow's mail in the morning....really, I promise! :D

BTW....I did give you credit for your help and support in the Main Seal Tech Session (pgs 21 & 31)!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I am almost sure, no I'm 100% sure, this is the first time I've ever uttered the words "you have a great rack there my friend" to a man named Kenny!

You have a great rack there my friend!!!

You guys who can work with metal to this degree are miracle workers and I tip my hat to you!

Loren

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: VERY impressive! The only thing I know how to make is a mess.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I couldnt help it- make mine a George FOreman Grill.. :D

NIce racks...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
OK, that does it. :mad:

I'm gonna have to go find something at Walmart to beat that $16.00 price tag. Hmmm, I wonder how a rubber dish strainer mat would look? :rotf:

(VERY nice work...) :clapping:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Changing the trunk to a rack has never been an interest of mine, since I am almost always riding 2 up. When the bike starts up my natural rack is jumping on the back. But I must say that aluminum rack is very nice work. :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
RonKMiller said:
OK, that does it. :mad:

I'm gonna have to go find something at Walmart to beat that $16.00 price tag. Hmmm, I wonder how a rubber dish strainer mat would look? :rotf:

(VERY nice work...) :clapping:
We need a ruling here.... does the cost qualify this as a true GHETTO MOD?? :D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
hallzee said:
We need a ruling here.... does the cost qualify this as a true GHETTO MOD?? :D
MrBlau definitely gets two snaps up on this one. :thumb::thumb:

It meets ALL the Ghetto criteria: (well, except for #4 but it was probably easy for him..)

1. It's got to be functional :check:
2. It's got to be very inexpensive :check:
3. It's got to look good and feel good, dahling :check:
4. It's got to be easy to implement :check:
5. It's got to look OEM, or darned close :check:
6. It's got to be something that can be built with everyday hardware available at ACE, Home Depot or the junkyard. :check:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
lawrider said:
Changing the trunk to a rack has never been an interest of mine, since I am almost always riding 2 up. When the bike starts up my natural rack is jumping on the back. But I must say that aluminum rack is very nice work. :bowdown: :bowdown:

:worthless :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fpmlt said:
Here are some options...... :histerica
:bmw:

Ron....here's a pic for ya......the rack I ride around with! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ummmmm, I *think* that is 1/4" aluminum plate, not 1/8" as originally described.

I've got one laid out in my computer here at work to route someday on our CNC at work. We call that one of our "benefits" I think... : )

But that one is truly NICE! Probably nicer than I could route with the CNC.

Randy

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rando said:
Ummmmm, I *think* that is 1/4" aluminum plate, not 1/8" as originally described.

I've got one laid out in my computer here at work to route someday on our CNC at work. We call that one of our "benefits" I think... : )

But that one is truly NICE! Probably nicer than I could route with the CNC.

Randy
I really think there is only one FAIR way to determine whether the hand cut or CNC cut makes the nicer rack. I would be willing to render an impartial decision as to which is nicer. I will fully and fairly evaluate then send the losing rack either back to the maker or donate it to charity. It will be a sacrifice but I am willing to do what needs to be done

Loren. ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1dbweldor said:
That is a nice rack. Now I see you have time to do other projects so how about finishing with my tools that I sent you and send them back to me. DON
Don,
It should be in your hands now! Again, thanks for your help and support! Hopefully, the spare set I made you will come in use for others in the future!
Take care! :wave
Kenny

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts