BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So beemer boneyard has a new item I just noticed. The have (New) replacement drain plugs that they claim hame magnets that are 1435 times stronger than the origianl.

Firstt, how could that be possible?

Second, priced between 29.95 and 39.95 each, could they be worth it?

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/madrpl.html

I am not affiliated with BB in any way other than I use their products.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yes, Looks like they finally are using the same type of magnets found inside a hard disk.

Very, Very strong little magnets...

I would think thirty bucks would be cheap if it saved my engine or trans from having an issue due to some loose metal floating around..

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK, I'll bite. How would you get those little metal shavings off the plug, without hurting yourself? :D

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just wipe off with a rag... Silly...

Come to think of it. I've got some old laptop hard disks that are bad..
I could just install the magnets from those into my existing drain plugs...

Sure, I could do that....

John

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I received my magnet plugs and will be installing them this evening while doing the 48,000 service.
Expensive, yes. Less than $100 for the 3.
You need to see these things as they are very nice looking. Well machined. Has an 'O' ring to make sure there is no leaking. Will be a lot easier to clean to look for pieces of the important internal stuff.
The magnets are much larger than those little penis looking things that serve as the OEM magnets. "They shrink?"

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Might be a side benefit to these magnets. Maybe they will trigger the damn left turn signal lights!

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
bblalock said:
I received my magnet plugs and will be installing them this evening while doing the 48,000 service.
Expensive, yes. Less than $100 for the 3.
You need to see these things as they are very nice looking. Well machined. Has an 'O' ring to make sure there is no leaking. Will be a lot easier to clean to look for pieces of the important internal stuff.
The magnets are much larger than those little penis looking things that serve as the OEM magnets. "They shrink?"
:worthless

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I ran into an issue when installing the two with 'O' rings, RD and engine oil drain plug. For some reason the 'O' rings got eaten by the receiver threads while trying to torque the plugs. I knew they felt wrong while I was tightening so I removed them to see what was happening. I put the OEMs back in.
I called Richard at drainplugmagnets.com, the distributor I bought them from and he seems very concerned. He is out of his office but will be back in a few days. I am confident he will find a solution.
Also, I tested the OEM and the Demple with a 19mm socket. The OEM barely pulled at the socket and only slid up and off it when I tried lifting it. The Demple pulled the socket firmley to it and then I lifted it. Then I tried to shake the socket off. It just held on.
If there is any metal in the protected parts these plugs are going to get it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
With magnets that strong, I just hope the engine, tranny, & FD cases don't end up looking like they exceeded crush depth. :histerica

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Richard did find there is an issue with the magnets with the 'O' rings. They will be replaced with plugs with washers. I am very satisfied with his handling of this issue.

I took a video of the OEM and Dimple magnets illustrating how much stronger it is. If someone can tell me how to post it then you can see that it has to be very close to 1432 times stronger. Maybe....even stronger than that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts