BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

Just finished change out of my drive shaft after 140k trouble free miles.
Luckily I got home. I felt vibration and extra drive train lash on the 15th and by the
20th I decided too much much vibration and too much noise. I received a drive shaft from Hans,Thanks again Hans, and started the teardown on Saturday. And as with so many of you the front swingarm pivot bolts were not coming out without a fight. Had to buy nut extractors my 4 ft. bar and alot of luck and I got them out. had to wait for new ones and installed Tuesday night and all is well with the world. The funny thing is that the large 30mm bolts were a piece of cake and came right off.
I attached photos of the u joint, next to the FD.
Thanks for all the help on this board all you people are a great bunch.
If you feel vibration get a drive shaft soon or at the very least a quick check.

Zeke

Attachments

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Hi Zeke,

How worn were the splines at 140K?

I'm at 67K on an '03 LT and wondering if I should remove the FD to have a looksee at the splines lube and condition of the universal joints.

Thanks, Vern

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vernvernvern said:
Hi Zeke,

How worn were the splines at 140K?

I'm at 67K on an '03 LT and wondering if I should remove the FD to have a looksee at the splines lube and condition of the universal joints.

Thanks, Vern
Vern;

The splines were in perfect shape. I don't have a pic of the splines, I have the shaft at my shop to see if there is a way to rebuild the good side. Just something to fiddle with.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Zeke said:
Vern;

The splines were in perfect shape. I don't have a pic of the splines, I have the shaft at my shop to see if there is a way to rebuild the good side. Just something to fiddle with.

Zeke
Zeke,

Thanks. Then I don't think I'll open her up until I have to for something else. I'm beginning to see a little oil at the rear of the engine(rear engine seal) so looks like I'll be taking it all apart in the future. :bmw:

Vern

·
Registered
62 Posts
Timely that this topic would come up. The benchwrenching topic in the May issue of BMW ON is titled "Driveshaft Operation and Maintenance". I read the article and it mentions checking the splines for corrosion and lubrication. It gives a good history of the driveshafts that are used on BMW bikes and points out some things to look for with respect to driveshaft maintenance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,792 Posts
The advent of the Paralever rear drive has virtually eliminated the spline wear that so many earlier bikes suffered from. You just don't get the in and out movement that they had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts