BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have been out of the loop for some time so this may be an old question.
I was up in Sturgis at the Bmw shop and noticed an LT from British Columbia, it was obvious the rear drive was shot., with the grease all over it.
I asked the service mgr about it and he explained that it was a 99 that came in on the trailer from Wyoming some where. He told me the rear drvie was going to cost the owner $1400 plus install. Ouch! Is this the going price on these rear drives now?
Are the older drives more expensive?
This guy just bought this bike about a week ago! Painful!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
you got to find CharlieVT on this forum will save you a lot of $$$

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
David is right. But....... follow this route and you may find yourself no better off if the factory pre-load shim job was no better than the original FD.

Best look up charlievt aka His Royal Highness, Duke of Bavarian Final Drives.

All hail His Royal Highnessshipness!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Loren

david_yancey said:
Basically, yes, if you want new from factory.

·
Registered
260 Posts
True Loren, but get the 2 year warranty and ride the p*** out of it. If I was a weekend warrior I would not find another failed drive until 3-4 years... as it was, I worked it out in 18k miles in as many months and beat the warranty window!

But then again... why am I happy?

Still looking for that elusive spare... but still less than I put into forks and seals in my 86 Yamaha Venture Royale and I rode it 8k miles per year. You think Beemers are expensive and difficult to work on...

Stranded is just another term for "Adventure". :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Always wondered how long the 4 wheeled BMW owners, the kind with doors, not somebody with 2 K models, would put up with final drive failures, and the associated bu****it & just past the warrantee bailout from the factory? Not long I would guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts