BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i recently bought a second hand 2014 rt with 44k kilometers on it, what an awesome machine :)

i did however notice that when i start the bike up, it idles fine, but seems to "hang up" for a split second every now and then.

this goes paired with a noise that sounds like the clutch is catching ever so slightly, and the lights dim for a split second as well.

after about 5 minutes riding, it stop though, although it comes back as soon as you shut down and start up again

Other than that, the bike runs amazing at all rpms, no further issues.

Im just wondering if it is something to worry about, or if this is normal for the bike.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
376 Posts
My 17 RT did the same thing regarding hanging up a little when starting and some extra noise from the engine. My cam timing was out and it now cranks smoothly first time and purrs like a kitten. Just checked and set mine during my 24k service. Hope that helps.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 17 RT did the same thing regarding hanging up a little when starting and some extra noise from the engine. My cam timing was out and it now cranks smoothly first time and purrs like a kitten. Just checked and set mine during my 24k service. Hope that helps.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
hey sammy,

did the noise come from behind your right footpeg as well?

Thx for the reply, gonna get it checked out soon :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rogerdebelg,
With the issue being on start up and a noise from the RH foot peg, it sounds like it could be the starter motor not disengaging correctly.
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.. Not much really with the Aussie dollar the way it is..
Hope you get it resolved..(y)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Many dealers when doing the 600012,000 mile check ups only look at valve clearance. They do not check the cam timing. An easy job if you have the tools. Makes a huge difference how the bike starts up and sounds. (cam timing includes setting the reluctor pick up properly for cam location determination. Note the mark on the wheel lines up with the front edge of the knotch in the reluctor pick up.
Automotive tire Font Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

Wood Cosmetics Office supplies Auto part Toy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts