BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 1200RT LC

Removed my GPS wiring kit today and have two plugs that I unplugged under the dash. Wondering what's the best way to get 12 volt power out of one of those plugs so I can power my phone in the area where the GPS used to live. I see that Touratech has a stock plug with a pic tail wire that could power a usb port under the dash. Not sure if the plug is available elsewhere for a DIY job or not.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, so I thought I'd see what the experts did.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
If one of those plugs is a three pin connector you can check it out with a volt meter. Pin #1 is ground, # 2 is digital info from computer, #3 is 12volts positive. A matching connector with pigtail wires is # 83300413585. This is old data so may not be current for your bike, but worth a check. Voltage only on with key on, goes off 60 seconds after key off.

Reactions: sgroover

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Great info and much appreciated.

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
Why did you remove the wiring? I assume you to the dash section out. Did you figure out a cool new way to install another farkle??? I would like to put my phone in that space.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you remove the wiring? I assume you to the dash section out. Did you figure out a cool new way to install another farkle??? I would like to put my phone in that space.
Wasn't using the Nav, and wanted my phone powered up there on a switched connection.

Bought the plug mentioned above and wired in a USB plug and fed the USB cable to my phone through the area the Nav mount is (it's still in place).

Used 4 nylon spacers (painted them flat black) and put a RAM mount on front of the Nav mount. The spacers keep the Ram mount from touching the Nav mount.

Worked out really well (for me). Happy to take pictures if you want to see how it looks.

Sammy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you running 12V directly to the USB plug? I would think you would need to wire in a 12V to 5V USB adapter. Maybe that’s what you meant by wiring in a USB plug.

Paul

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will post a pic tomorrow when daylight... Don't want to be"worthless"...lol

Sammy

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will post a pic tomorrow when daylight... Don't want to be"worthless"...lol

Sammy

Here are some pics... The charging cable can slide into the dash if desired when not being used (shown in one pic). The nylon spacers on the SS bolts keep the RAM mount from touching the Nav mount pins (no damage to original setup if reversed).

The phone mount made by Tackform. Really like it.

Sammy

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
That looks good... The traditional GPS is becoming more worthless everyday and I use my phone more and more on the RT. This is a nice mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts