BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing a 12k service, checked valve clearance and found the #1 intake (both valves) at .005". Close enough to leave it to next time? All the rest were right at .006" on intakes, all the exhausts were either .011" or .0010". Plugs looked good. Do have an oil leak, bottom of the chain housing about half way to the cranshaft. Any thoughts on that? Warranty repair?
That oil sure does get dark quick on this machine, have a diesel pickup that it doesn't get this dark as fast on. It ain't near as much fun either.
Sure do have some rusty bolts under the tupperware too, you'd think I was riding it near the ocean. ThinK I'll be replacing them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
Gunny,

.006" is in spec, .005" is out. Thats the way I look at it. But its your call. I had as bit of an oil leak on my first 12K. Did not use enough sealant where the timing case meets the head. Could this be your leak? It would run down to the middle. Cleaned it all up and used more sealant - no leak. Worth a check.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
One school of thought is to leave the .005 go for another 12k and you might need several adjusted all at once instead of having two valve adjustments done (one now and one later). On the other hand, I had one out of spec and my dealer fixed it during my 12k service, now I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I would not leave a TIGHT valve till next time! A little loose is not a problem, but tight is the forerunner of a burned valve/seat.

ALWAYS adjust valves that are tight, ones that are 0.001 loose, you can leave till next time. The valves on the LT almost always continue to wear tighter, so that has to be watched.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
News flash!

The bolts that hold on the valve cover. Well if you leave one loose, it's gonna leak oil. Was buttoning it up last night, had a phone call and you know how that goes.
Finished it all today and rode it down to the gas station to fill it up, yup ran it almost empty so it would be easier to pull the tank. When I stopped, I knew right away from the smell. $18.30 later, ran home and pulled some tupper ware and there it was. Lucky I could reach it without having to pull the upper panel. 2 cans of electric motor cleaner and you'd never know she had a leak.
Will run it by the dealer to have him fix the timing chain cover leak under warranty and let them slip a couple of new buckets under the #1 intake.
By the way, the old air filter was just as clean as the new one. Dealer selling used ones or mine was still real clean, I'll save it for sometime later.
She sure does run sweet now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts