BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone ballpark what I can expect to pay at my upcoming 12K service for my 2003 LT? Before I choke on my tongue, I figure a little advance warning is appropriate.

Jon
Seattle, Wa
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000

·
Registered
835 Posts
12,000 service cost

Just got mine back yesterday. $675.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would love to know how I can get a $1200 quote for the 12k service from my former dealership in NJ and someone else can get the work done for $675. Makes me wonder whether or not my former dealership was screwing me. I also wonder if $675 is actually the price for ALL the work. I was quoted $275 for the brake fluid replacement alone. BTW, I also have an 03. I ended up doing most of the 12k myself and the parts alone were about $130. (including a couple of buckets).

Can you share a breakdown of the $675 with us. I'm curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
The pure 12K service costs about $450 to $500 here in NH. If it coincides with an annual or a biannual fluid flush and replacement, you can add up to $400. If is a 24K, there is additional cost for the fuel filter. Valve adjustment can add several hundred dollars. But, you shouldn't be getting that in an estimate since there's no way of telling if it needs to be done until the valves are checked.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here in Denver we have two BMW Dealers:

Foothills BMW quoted me between 750.00 and 800.00 without the valve check on my '03.

BMW of Denver quoted me 475.00 without the valve adjustment. I opted to do the oil change myself and have them change out the clutch fluid as well which came to the same price. Adding the valve check adds around 200.00 I think. That was the 12k. I just had it done. BMW of Denver did a great job !!!! I would highly recommend them.

Working with Foothills is fine also, but their prices don't compare.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had mine done two weeks ago. Total with parts was $716. No valves were adjusted. I had asked them to change the coolant and fuel filter, but they did not, or it would of been higher.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Adventure170 said:
Can someone ballpark what I can expect to pay at my upcoming 12K service for my 2003 LT? Before I choke on my tongue, I figure a little advance warning is appropriate.

Jon
Seattle, Wa
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000

I paid $1340 with two new tires (880's) for my 2002 about a month ago. From everything I've read, prices can vary a lot from location to location.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You're right Bob, doing the service myself was pretty easy, although I think I would need your help to do the valve adjustment is necessary. I paid $120 for the 12K parts necessary for everything. I had the dealer flush the brakes and clutch for $125 when it was in for some other damage repair.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You are talking about Garden State I had the same problem, 24,000 + anual was $300 cheaper at Cross Country. That's why they have gone belly up. The people at CC were also much more customer friendly.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Had mine done in Atlanta the last week of September. Just under $460. Did not include valve adjustment.

Oil Filter Kit
Oil
Sparkies
Air Filter
Shop Supplies
BMW Inspection

They also installed shocks at the same time. I thought it was a fair price. The shocks and installation were billed out separately. I feel that this dealer has always been fair in dealings with me.

I really can't think of one thing that I would buy in goods or services that would be the exact same dollar amount throughout the country. I keep thinking of just the cost differences of a three bedroom home of 1800 sq ft in Seattle, New York, Boston, Des Moines, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Not that it is directly comparable to a 12K service, but there are some of the same things affecting the cost of the 12K that affect the cost of a home.

·
Registered
145 Posts
tyroneteeth said:
.... I keep thinking of just the cost differences of a three bedroom home of 1800 sq ft in Seattle, New York, Boston, Des Moines, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Atlanta. .....
Makes me feel better that the nearest BMW dealer is 3-4 hours away; but within that 4 hours I have my choice of St. Louis, Tulsa, Bentonville and Little Rock Ar, Cape Girardeau, and Kansas City.

Guess I better start calling realtors to find the best price <g>!

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
12K service for my 2003 at BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland was $665.xx with Valve adjust (one was out of spec).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would also imagine it may be cheaper in cities that have two dealers. Competition.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Adventure170 said:
I had one 12K done when I first bought the bike and it cost me $450 or so. Was done on a winter special just after I bought the bike. I thought that was high.. I guess I'm cheap. Unfortunately that dealer closed after a new BMW Boutique opened up 20 miles away... The prices they charge I just look.. :rolleyes: and buy the small parts and Boutique stuff I need there.

The service isn't hard... even the valve adjustment and it actually takes less time and effort, never mind the cost.. than trying to get my bike done at the dealer..

·
Registered
308 Posts
tyroneteeth said:
Had mine done in Atlanta the last week of September. Just under $460. Did not include valve adjustment.

Oil Filter Kit
Oil
Sparkies
Air Filter
Shop Supplies
BMW Inspection

They also installed shocks at the same time. I thought it was a fair price. The shocks and installation were billed out separately. I feel that this dealer has always been fair in dealings with me.

I really can't think of one thing that I would buy in goods or services that would be the exact same dollar amount throughout the country. I keep thinking of just the cost differences of a three bedroom home of 1800 sq ft in Seattle, New York, Boston, Des Moines, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Not that it is directly comparable to a 12K service, but there are some of the same things affecting the cost of the 12K that affect the cost of a home.
I am curious about how much your shock install was, since the bike was already torn down about as far as you have to go to put shocks in, for the 12K. My dealer quoted me $525 (standard hours) to install the shocks when the bike was scheduled in for a 12K at 36000miles. Couldn't convince him that he shouldn't charge the full book rate if the bike was already apart.

Bottom line is that he lost the shock install and the 12K service. The 12k took me about 5 hours and the shocks out and in was a litttle under 2 hours. Not a bad effort to save $840.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jon, I just did oil in mine

oil/filter, tranny and rear end.
it's at 15K, just bought the bike (used 00).
Figure I will do it again in 5K miles along with plugs/coolant/fluid flush.

I just bought the bike and tapped all my cash, so stuck with just oil for now.
You will need a 14MM 1/2 socket from Tool town and the oil filter removing tool from BMW. Also good set of metric sockets and allen head sockets. Torox bits for scewdriver

Get a funnel with a long neck that has flex in it for engine oil fill. Get a small pump filler for qt bottle for rear end and tranny fill.

They have Castrol synthetic blend 10w40 Actevo at Bent bike for 17.99 a gal.
I used royal purple synthetic 90 in rear and tranny. WHAT a difference in the tranny shifting as others have seen going to synthetic.

Once you do it once, it will be easy. Would be happy to come over and do it with you! I live in richmond beach.

I want to buy the videos and full manual prior to the next 5K change, so I can do the rest.

The above notes will save you lots of running around!

larry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12K Service Costs

My thanks to all for the advice on the 12K service costs. The actual amount certainly seems to run the gamut. I am mechanically capable for most light service so I will look at doing some myself. However, I will give the dealer first crack at cutting me a good deal since I bought it there. I bought the bike last week with 9.3K on the clock but I ride a lot and the 12K will hit me soon.

Jon
Seattle, WA
2003K1200LT
2004 VStrom 1000

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
12K Service Costs

Stoker100,

Where is Richmond (military transplant)? I'm in Auburn.

Jon

1 - 20 of 39 Posts