BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will need to buy spark plugs, synthetic oil, oil filter, Air filter, etc etc...
Is there a place that has these items at a good price (e-commerce of course). trying to avoid multiple shipping charges for such items.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I ordered my 12K from SierraBMW

I don't know if they've added the kit back to their web site or not - used to be one, then it's gone. Gave 'em fits for it being missing - maybe it's back by now.

In any case, I called 'em "old school" via the telephone and had all my bits 'n parts in a couple days.

http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
You'll need a huge "Channel Lock" plier for the Fuel Filter. Also, I added the "screw type" hose clamps for easy change out in the future.

Some folks have "externalized" the fuel filter but that has it's own risks and "adventures"... if you do that you'll need to replace the internal fuel filter with a hose anyway.

Don't forget to lube the shifter mechanism.. I took mine all apart and cleaned before reassemble.. works really well now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
If it is truly the first 12K you won't need a fuel filter and really should not go to Synthetic yet in the engine. But plugs, air filter, oil filter will do it. Consider the brake fluid flush depending on local area humidity. Mine was pretty dark on the wheel circuit at 12K. And what the others have recommended as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
synthetic

jzeiler said:
If it is truly the first 12K you won't need a fuel filter and really should not go to Synthetic yet in the engine. But plugs, air filter, oil filter will do it. Consider the brake fluid flush depending on local area humidity. Mine was pretty dark on the wheel circuit at 12K. And what the others have recommended as well.
1) Interesting, South sounds bmw suggested Synthetic at 12k..

2) ALSO DOES ANYONE know if the spark plug listed below is an option for '04 models. It lists 99-03, so I purchased them anyways, not knowing if they are ok to use in my '04..
NGK web site lists......

NGK (Model Year: 99-03)
Part no Stock no
Standard DCPR7E 3932
Iridium DCPR7EIX 6046

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ian,

Don't forget the crush washer for the final drive drain plug and a torque wrench (metric, if you please) and the 75W145 synthetic gear oil for the tranny and the final drive and...oh, yea, something to get the fluid into the final drive like a big plastic syringe like I got at a pet supply place, used for giving dogs medication, and a funny looking sideways funnel to get your oil in the motor (go ahead and use the synthetic if ya wanna) and something to catch the drained tranny fluid in (old plastic oil container cut in half sideways works real good) and an oil filter wrench for the BMW filter and don't forget not to torque the three little screws that hold the oil filter cover on too tight or the will wring off. And you might want to get some little cups to hold the screws and what not from the tupperware and radio, etc. so you can keep them straight by labeling the cups.

And some nice music and maybe a friend who has done it before to help you and some cold beverages. Take your time. 'Course the best helper is Paul S. videos!

Fellas, am I forgetting anything?..... Oh, yeah, the dielectric grease for greasin' up the electrical connections that you have to unhook. And, ya might wanna grease up your shifter linkage and the side stand pivot!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got almost all..just one little piece remains

"2) ALSO DOES ANYONE know if the spark plug listed below is an option for '04 models. It lists 99-03, so I purchased them anyways, not knowing if they are ok to use in my '04..
NGK web site lists......

NGK (Model Year: 99-03)
Part no Stock no
Standard DCPR7E 3932
Iridium DCPR7EIX 6046"

Just got my gps mount from chicago-bmw. This time I iwll not need a pfranc adapter for this. Actually have a j&m com system, and the kit had the extra cables to instal the power source\audio directly :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Those should also fit an '04. Some have used the iridium plugs and like them.

Forgot to list a feeler gauge to check those vale clearances.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Same engine in 04 as prior years.

I order from Chicago BMW ahead of my need; buy my oils and antifreeze locally; spark plugs on the internet; needed a spark plug socket for the new plugs, Sears; tools form AutoZone, along with funnels, electrical grease, and brake cleaner, gasket sealer, brake fluid, and clear tubing for the clutch fluid change (I used a baggy and rubber band left over from fresh broccoli to catch the clutch fluid); distilled water from the supermarket; ordered an new valve for the clutch fluid change; had DeOxit electrical contact cleaner and tie wraps and anti-seize grease already.

I did the 12K in stages instead of trying to do it all at once.
Plus, I watched Paul's video, made notes for each stage I planned, printed a torque sheet, and noted the valve clearances.

Next time, better screw control, draw a picture of where each of the different screws go.

While I had the tupperware off, I did the speedo mod, and adjusted the handle bars.

I cut up a Clorox bottle to catch the trany fluid.

Bob, 00LT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts