BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a Datatool tracker fitted by BMW on mine (I would hesitate to suggest that it's "factory fitted", but happy if proved wrong). The tracker is always active - that's the point of it. Charging with BMW charger through the front socket, not had any battery problems so far. Sorry to hear about your Gerbing gear - I haven't tried my Warm & Safe on the 2021 yet, but it was fine on the 2019. In any event, I had a spare connection on my ezCAN so I've fitted an SAE flying lead, exiting under the side of the top box, to that "just in case" :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, I've been talking rubbish. Just took delivery of a brand new Gerbing Pro Heated Jacked. I also have the Gerbing headed gloves with the controller on the cuff. With the jacket on 5 (full) and the gloves on the hottest setting, the can bus closes down the aux socket on both my 2019 1250 and our brand new 21 1250. Total amperage according to Gerbing is 9 amps, so the aux sockets are not able to provide 10 amps. But if I turn the jacket down it seems to cope. Direct battery connection is the answer then. The socket is fine for just gloves on full, it seemed to cope with jacket on hottest setting for about 2 mins before they both shut down on both bikes :)
The stock accessory outlets don't do much more than powering a phone. I use plug/cord connected directly to the battery to power my Gerbing stuff as well as my air compressor when I need it. I've had two bikes (2005 and 2019 RT) with accessory outlets controlled by the bike and not one of them has ever gotten close to handling 10 amps.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
Total amperage according to Gerbing is 9 amps, so the aux sockets are not able to provide 10 amps.
Or the heated gear is using a bit more than they claim. Would be very interesting to connect an Amp meter inbetween to see what the real values are. I don't suppose you have the means to do that @casbar ? Our collection of heated gear is well within the claimed range and never had problems with it so not much point for me metering it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Or the heated gear is using a bit more than they claim. Would be very interesting to connect an Amp meter inbetween to see what the real values are. I don't suppose you have the means to do that @casbar ? Our collection of heated gear is well within the claimed range and never had problems with it so not much point for me metering it.
With a bit of cable fiddling I can measure the consumption of my Warm & Safe jacket / Gerbing gloves set up, I'll get a round tuit and report back. Not been out on the RT recently as I'm running in little Miss Zontes ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'll run a few more trials to see if I don't have the gear on full, if that helps. I do have a multi meter, but only have probes and no crock clips, measuring current draw with just probes, can lead to welding if not careful :)

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
Electrical tape with probes works if you can make them hold properly ;) Looking forward to hearing what you guys find.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just ran a test on our 1250 (21 model). The Gerbing gloves draws 2.2 amps on full power and the jacket draws 6.4 amps on full power. Ran them both off the aux socket with engine running. Gloves ok on setting 2 with jacket on setting 2. Gloves on setting 2 and jacket on setting 3, Canbus switched the socket off :)

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
Just ran a test on our 1250 (21 model). The Gerbing gloves draws 2.2 amps on full power and the jacket draws 6.4 amps on full power. Ran them both off the aux socket with engine running. Gloves ok on setting 2 with jacket on setting 2. Gloves on setting 2 and jacket on setting 3, Canbus switched the socket off :)
That is unexpected. 8.6 Amps total should be no issue even for the older spec 10 Amp combined draw. Time to see your dealer for a bitch session? I can only assume it's just your bike, not an overall misprint of specs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nope, I have a brand new 21 1250 in my garage and a 2019 1250, same results on both using the aux socket.

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
8 Posts
We have been having problems with batteries going flat on a couple of our 1250RTs. Apparently BMW have a software issue that they know about, but no fix yet. Basically on some bikes if using the BMW charger through the aux socket, it is actually charging, but won't maintain and is running the batteries down. They are recommending fitting a tail direct to the battery. I do not know if this is happening with Optimate Canbus chargers as well, but my own bike (1250) is on an Optimate and a brand new 21 1250RT is as well and the batteries seem to be fine.

I don't know any further details, but they also mentioned their factory fitted trackers are also running the batteries flat. Although our bikes do not have the trackers fitted
Being an ex-software engineer, I would expect a Software issue is about the easiest issue to resolve. So I am intrigued.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use an Optimate 4 through the aux socket on the fairing and it works fine. The one near the pillion seat doesn't seem to work for charging.
Keith, on my 1200RT I have leaned that after I plug in the BMW charger (in any of the receptacles) I must then push the on button and allow the electrical system to set up, then I turn off the bike and the battery charges normally. The red and green light sequence then works properly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keith, on my 1200RT I have leaned that after I plug in the BMW charger (in any of the receptacles) I must then push the on button and allow the electrical system to set up, then I turn off the bike and the battery charges normally. The red and green light sequence then works properly.
The fairing socket just works anytime without having to power up the bike. I normally use tgat socket but I once had the bike parked the other way round so tried to use the seat socket. Strange that they are different.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thank God in CA most dealerships attach a pigtail for charging the bikes and I connect my BMW trickle charger to that without any special procedures. Just plug and charge. And also I am thankful that battery discharge problem didn’t knock on my door!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven’t owned a Beemer in a couple of decades now, but nevertheless some of you folks may like, or may find inspiration in, the way I’ve been using Powerlet setups for more than a dozen years now:

This is for smart-charging and heated gear. In terms of the former, I just reach down, pull out the plug and drop it on the floor, when backing bikes out of the garage. Seems easier to me than dealing with an SAE connector. For the latter function, as I note, I prefer the under-left-thigh position.

On my former Victory, this was the only time I used mayonnaise for a bike farkle.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts