BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you fill up, does the range estimate immediately go to max range? On my 1200 I had it in my head that once I filled up, very shortly afterwards the range would shoot up to say 300 miles or whatever. On my 1250 currently when I fill up from close to empty, the range kind of slowly builds as I ride so eventually starts to show over 200 miles, but by then I have already been riding for half an hour or more. Or have I been imagining that the range used to go to full range shortly after a fill up? Just trying to understand if I have a problem somewhere :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
On my 1200 it use to give me a number after fillup and reajust (up or down) as I started riding
Same on my 1250

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my 1200 it use to give me a number after fillup and reajust (up or down) as I started riding
Same on my 1250
Yes, that is what I thought used to happen, but currently when I fill up, the range builds slowly, so adjusts upwards as I ride, but doesn't start off with a max figure. Funnily I filled up a 2015 RTp on Friday, and that did the same, didn't register a max range, just started to build slowly as I rode away, but even though it was brimmed, it never showed above 250 in range.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
Same thing on my 2009 GS.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On my '16 RT, I always reset Trip A at each fillup, out of habit from the days of no or bad fuel gauges. I noticed the expected distance to empty is then around 500 km and after a while, maybe half an hour, it slowly readjust to around 400 km.

My question is do you reset Trip A at each fill-up?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my '16 RT, I always reset Trip A at each fillup, out of habit from the days of no or bad fuel gauges. I noticed the expected distance to empty is then around 500 km and after a while, maybe half an hour, it slowly readjust to around 400 km.

My question is do you reset Trip A at each fill-up?
My answer to you is no. I am not bothered about running out of fuel, my fuel gauge works fine and the range estimate is ok when it gets down. My question is about how it should behave on fill up. So I know if it is not working correctly or its behaviour is odd, so I can get it looked at under warranty. I'm reasonably confident that it used to show a range of around 300 miles shortly after fill up, but now it kind of builds range as you go along. As I said, I experienced the same behaviour on a RTp last week. So I am just wondering what others experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you fill up, does the range estimate immediately go to max range? On my 1200 I had it in my head that once I filled up, very shortly afterwards the range would shoot up to say 300 miles or whatever. On my 1250 currently when I fill up from close to empty, the range kind of slowly builds as I ride so eventually starts to show over 200 miles, but by then I have already been riding for half an hour or more. Or have I been imagining that the range used to go to full range shortly after a fill up? Just trying to understand if I have a problem somewhere :)
The range on my 1250RT right after filling up and turning on the bike seems to be based to the MPG my bike was getting when I stopped to fill up. Depending on how I'm riding and what the MPG is, the estimated range seems to vary. The only thing I really pay close attention to is when the estimated range goes to zero. From that point on I've got 30 to 40 miles left depending on the MPG the bike is getting. I do not think the float system used on these bikes is able to measure the last 3 quarters to 1 gallon of gas left so that's why you can go some miles after the estimated range says zero. My gas gauge will go to no bars showing before the estimated range shows zero.

That being said, I think every bike is a little different. In order to see how the gauge and estimated range relates to what's actually in the tank you need to push it to the limit range wise to find out. The safe way to do this is to have a quarter or half gallon of gas with you to put in the tank should you run out before you can reach a station. Should you try this, never, ever let the bike go until it runs out of gas. As soon as it starts to stumble, pull over and add the gas you took with you. then fill the bike up, add the gas you added to the gas pumped, and you will have how much gas you can get in the tank.

I have gotten roughly 7 gallons in my R1250RT. However, I've never run the 1250 to the point where is starts stuttering. On my old 2005 R1200RT I was able to get 8.1 gallons in after running it to the point of stuttering. There just happened to be gas station right there so I didn't have to add the gas I had with me to make it. At this point you can check the actual MPG if you reset the trip meter when you initially filled up.

If I am riding reasonably and getting 45 or better MPG I can regularly go 300 miles before filling up.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
5 Posts
My previous bike was a 2012 R1200 GS and I have noticed a difference in the time it takes to calculate range on the 2019 1250 RT. The 1200 was fairly quick after fill up. The 1250 takes much longer but the time is not as excessive as you have described. That being said, I never fill up from empty or near empty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 18 K1600GA and an 18 R1200RT and both sometimes are quick and sometimes slow to build..... I never bothered to try and figure out why because they become accurate within a few miles anyway........

·
Registered
423 Posts
My answer to you is no. I am not bothered about running out of fuel, my fuel gauge works fine and the range estimate is ok when it gets down. My question is about how it should behave on fill up. So I know if it is not working correctly or its behaviour is odd, so I can get it looked at under warranty. I'm reasonably confident that it used to show a range of around 300 miles shortly after fill up, but now it kind of builds range as you go along. As I said, I experienced the same behaviour on a RTp last week. So I am just wondering what others experience.
I'm wondering what would happen if you did reset the trip A.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm wondering what would happen if you did reset the trip A.
I fail to see how it would affect anything
My trip 1 resets automatically after 8 hrs

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
Hook up a GS-911 and see if there are any fault codes. The trip meter means nothing to the computer. When using a GPS you have 4 trip meters to keep track of whatever it is you need to track. AND AUTO trip can be use for you daily mileage because it does expire after 8 hours or so.

I use trip 1 for fuel use per tank. Trip 2 is a total for the entire trip so far (when i'm on a road trip)... Trip A on the GSP can be used for point to point mileage and Trip B is my total trip mileage to compare the the bike total trip mileage and they are never the same. They can be off by quite a bit.
My '16RT range come up after a few miles or so. I don't look at it that much. I use the GSP

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have noticed the same. All my previous r1200 as I recall were instant.. My 1250 takes ages or so it seems. On a trip I can ride for 15-20 kms before it is finally showing full estimate.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have noticed the same. All my previous r1200 as I recall were instant.. My 1250 takes ages or so it seems. On a trip I can ride for 15-20 kms before it is finally showing full estimate.
Thanks, glad I'm not going mad :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
On my 2017, I always reset trip 1 after a fill up. As I ride away from the service station the range slowly starts to build until it stabilises. This can often be 11 miles or so. So it sounds just like your 1250 Casbar.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 2011 does both. Sometimes it’s a significant jump from whatever to over 300 in a minute. Sometimes it goes up slowly by a mile every 10 seconds. I’ve just got used to the BMW‘s foibles. As long as, after a half hour or so, I have some indication I’m happy. I don’t think I can cover 600 miles in an hour.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
313 Posts
My 17 RT has done both, sometimes it jumps up to full and shows around 300 miles to empty, but other times it's really slow and takes a few minutes. Never determined why it differs, but wish I knew.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts