BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a way to convert the existing tail/stop light on my 2009 RT to LED lights. I found such a conversion at the below site. It claims it is compatible with all 1200 RTs. Has anyone installed this and, if so, what are your impressions?

Bob Wood

·
Registered
331 Posts
BeemerBob said:
This product looks very similar to a product that Touratech carried a couple of years ago. I tried to install the Touratech product but got quite frustrated, and after reading several threads, discovered that I was not alone. I contacted Touratech, and they very graciously took it in return.

I have since installed the BMW led tail lights. It was a very easy installation, and I for one am quite pleased with their product despite the fact that some on this forum think the BMW lights are overpriced. They may be, but they work quite well, according to my wife who has followed me in her car on numerous occasions. :rotf:

brselman
'09R1200RT

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brselman said:
This product looks very similar to a product that Touratech carried a couple of years ago. I tried to install the Touratech product but got quite frustrated, and after reading several threads, discovered that I was not alone. I contacted Touratech, and they very graciously took it in return.

I have since installed the BMW led tail lights. It was a very easy installation, and I for one am quite pleased with their product despite the fact that some on this forum think the BMW lights are overpriced. They may be, but they work quite well, according to my wife who has followed me in her car on numerous occasions. :rotf:

brselman
'09R1200RT

Bruce,

Aren't the BMW tailights actually "auxilliary" lights ... they don't replace the exisitng tail/stop light do they?

Bob Wood

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's the Auxillary light referenced above and one that I installed and works great. Gives a quick 4 flash on/off that does catch folks attention. And if the stock light goes south, I have a brake light. Seen it for $129 (Chicago BMW) and other Beemer shops for $189.
Others have complained it fails and leaks, but worked well for me. Some details on the link below.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1125

·
Registered
331 Posts
BeemerBob said:
Bruce,

Aren't the BMW tailights actually "auxilliary" lights ... they don't replace the exisitng tail/stop light do they?

Bob Wood
Indeed, as noted, they are auxiliary lights. They supplement but do not replace the stock lights. I've had them on for over a year now (not long by anyone's standards), and they work just fine. I have no complaints. I've forgotten how much I spent, but it would have been around $150 +/- $10.

bruce selman

·
Registered
726 Posts
I use the Hyper lights break stop light . They are add ons but very reasonable priced and easy to install. At $130.00 (us) is a good price for LED.I would install the LED break light when warranty runs out..

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Risky said:
I use the Hyper lights break stop light . They are add ons but very reasonable priced and easy to install. At $130.00 (us) is a good price for LED.I would install the LED break light when warranty runs out..
Installing the BMW auxiliary brake light will not void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
RidgeRunner said:
Installing the BMW auxiliary brake light will not void the warranty.
Would installing the Hyper-lights do so?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good Day!

BMW lights for a couple of years now. Very bright, looks like they are stock and no problems.

2006RT

A few others while I was young :bmw:

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
brselman said:

brselman
'09R1200RT
I had the exact same experience and ended up just getting the bmw aux light as well.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The RoadRocketeer/Touratech light needs a power resistor installed with it or the bike will throw a bulb out warning on the dash. When first sold by Touratech the resistors were not supplied. However, if the supplier now provides the resistor with the light, it does work well and is a reasonably straightforward install though it takes a little fishing of bits to get it in place in the tail light housing. If they don't supply the resistor, you can hunt up h old threads that describe it and buy one at an electronics place if you still want that light.

I am one of those who has drowned a BMW accessory tail light. They are not well sealed internally and will suck water in the will corrode the board if you get one wet enough BUT they do get the usual BMW 2 yr parts warranty AND the sealing problem is easily fixed- simply paint clear 2 part epoxy varnish around where the inner clear cover meets that black plastic base so it wicks into the crack and seals what their bad gasket design won't.

·
Registered
331 Posts
racer7 said:
The RoadRocketeer/Touratech light needs a power resistor installed with it or the bike will throw a bulb out warning on the dash. When first sold by Touratech the resistors were not supplied. However, if the supplier now provides the resistor with the light, it does work well and is a reasonably straightforward install though it takes a little fishing of bits to get it in place in the tail light housing. If they don't supply the resistor, you can hunt up h old threads that describe it and buy one at an electronics place if you still want that light.

I am one of those who has drowned a BMW accessory tail light. They are not well sealed internally and will suck water in the will corrode the board if you get one wet enough BUT they do get the usual BMW 2 yr parts warranty AND the sealing problem is easily fixed- simply paint clear 2 part epoxy varnish around where the inner clear cover meets that black plastic base so it wicks into the crack and seals what their bad gasket design won't.
Great tip. Thanks! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

brselman

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Tahoerider said:
Good Day!

BMW lights for a couple of years now. Very bright, looks like they are stock and no problems.

2006RT

A few others while I was young :bmw:
+1

·
Registered
726 Posts
cessna said:
Would installing the Hyper-lights do so?
No. The dealer sold me the Hyper lights and gave me the instructions on how to install on my (09) RT. :bmw:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I uused the Hypers on 2 different H-D's with absolutely no problems. I'd love to put them on the RT (2010) but which company makes a unit that is "CANBUS" friendly?? That "blink" feature is great, and I don't mind if they are auxilliary lights as long as they work. Anybody have full running, signal, and stop light set up? What about the BMW offering?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts