BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 61 years old and had a '98 1100RT a few years back but sold it because it was too uncomfortable to ride. Even with a Corbin seat my butt and legs would get so sore to the point that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to put my leg down at a stop after riding 30 or 40 miles.
I am considering a 1200RT but can't be sure the same thing won't happen. Has anyone out there had a similar problem and found a solution such as a BMW comfort seat or a custom seat? Is the 1200RT more comfortable than the 1100? I don't expect perfection but I would like to ride at least 300 miles a day. Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
T-Jet,

I've found the 1200RT to be as comfortable as anything I've ridden including a Goldwing.
Have you been able to find any bike that fit you well enough to ride some distance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave

Yes, I have a Harley bagger that's comfortable but not very sporty. I want to get back to sport tourers. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do hate the stock seat, but mine came with a Russell Day-Long seat. Definitely lives up to its name.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Perhaps it's the position? I found the foot-forward, leaned-back position of the Harleys to be extremely comfortable for all-day (1000+ miles) rides. Truth be told, I'm skeptical that the RT can provide that level of comfort. Then again, I've done a 10 hour day (albeit with a fair number of stops) on the RT with no issues.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm not sure that the newer RT's are really anymore comfortable than the one you owned before. I have a 2010 with stock seat and find it comfortable (even for long trips). Perhaps if we knew more about your size, inseam, etc.. we could comment better....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the Harley knees-closer-together and feet-forward position is great for comfort. Plus highway pegs help a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I'm gonna be honest with you T-jet.

The R1200RT will not be different from the R1100RT, and the issue is not the seat. The seat and other peripherals are incidental to the predominant posture issue.

I was on H-D for nearly 20 years so I know what you are thinking, but If you didn't like the R1100RT you will not like the r1200RT.

Take a look at this posture comparator... http://cycle-ergo.com/

With this tool you can look at the posture/seating position of the bike you liked and then at the R1100, or the R1200.

Again, I am going to suggest something that may be considered rude... but since I don't yet know you I can do it in all honesty. First, I am 68 years old. Probably have the same age-related issues you have but when I was about 60 I began an intensive program to get my body in shape. After doing that I found the H-D was no longer my comfortable ride position. Now I dislike sitting on my butt on a bike. It jars my spine and makes my lower back ache. I now find the the sporting position of the R1200RT natural. It carries my weight on my inner thighs and my arms which are now in pretty decent shape. I ride all day... no problems.

So, may $0.02 is... if you like the RT get your body in shape first. If it is in shape and you still cannot find comfort on a long test ride... as they say... different strokes for different folks.
Good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob

As they say, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Getting in shape and stretching go a long way in enjoying any physical activity. Thanks for the input.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mr. Hopz: Great tool!
Mr. T-Jet: Everyone has an opinion. So here is mine. I have, and love, both the 2011 R1200RT and the 2012 Goldwing. The Goldwing is far and above the most comfortable motorcycle. The Goldwings big draw-back is it's weight. It can be a bear to pick up or push around. The RT is not in the same league as the RT and compares better with the Honda ST1300. The RT is, however, far more comfortable than most other cycles. The RT has two major draw backs. It's comfort, when compared to the Goldwing. And, It is extremely tall so it can be combersome for a person to move around while sitting on it.
If you are anywhere near San Antonio, TX give me a jingle; you are welcome to try-out either of my cycles.
Considering the riding history you described, I'd suggest you try out the Victory Vision.
I hope this helps in some way. :wave

·
Registered
59 Posts
T-jet,

Although I agree with Hopz that conditioning is the main factor in comfort, I had a strange experience with an 02 BMW K1200RS that might be worth talking about. When I bought the bike, I took several 14 hour rides with it. I just plain loved that bike. About six months later I couldn't do more than 30 minutes.

I'd never had pain along my sciatic nerve before, but something about the riding position of that bike hit the back of my legs just right. I tried everything, but it just got worse and worse. Even now, after all these years, if I get on the same model bike, I can still feel the tingle.

It's possible that the riding position of the RT has a similar effect on you. Maybe not your sciatic nerve, but maybe some other part.

I love Harleys. I've owned 7 of them. And I'd probably keep buying them if they would make them with decent lean angles. Kee-raist! They start in the low 20 degrees barely make it up to 32 degrees for their baggers. It's like riding an outrigger canoe! If they would just make motorcyles for motorcyclists who know how to ride ...

ape

·
Registered
296 Posts
T-jet

I noticed you are in Corvallis. If you are up in the Portland area you are welcome to take my 07 RT for a ride to see if an RT will work for you. I live just across the river in Vancouver WA. I came off of sport/naked bikes when I bought the RT and love it but not all bikes are right for all people. At 47 years old I may still be considered "younger" by some but I should have taken better care of my chassis when I was younger. Things just hurt more and move stiffer than they used to. I tried my buddy's Victory and liked it but didn't care for the cruiser position and holy cow was that thing heavy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
T-jet, I am 58 and new to motorcycling. I would not discount looking into an F800ST. At least try it, especially if you had prior experience on road bicycles.

Check this thread from F800 riders, starting at about #9-10 on the leaning forward position.

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/79501-F800ST-Sport-Tourer

As in bicycling, the forward lean takes the weight off the spine and the butt and puts more on that arms and especially the legs.

When I'm on the F800 with balls of feet on the pegs and hugging the bike with the legs, the support is all in the legs and also, surprisingly, the wind is holding me up. This is by design.

Worth a try anyway. We all want an RT but there are other options if that one is just plain uncomfortable.

Rick

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just put a Kontour seat on my RT. OMG !!! That thing is outstanding, and actually looks great on the bike. It molds to your butt quickly and has airflow to boot. This is a long distance seat.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DocCarroll said:
Mr. T-Jet: Everyone has an opinion. So here is mine. I have, and love, both the 2011 R1200RT and the 2012 Goldwing. The Goldwing is far and above the most comfortable motorcycle. The Goldwings big draw-back is it's weight. It can be a bear to pick up or push around.
I agree with this assessment 100%. I have a 2010 RT and it replaced a 2007 GoldWing that I could ride all day. I love the lighter weight of the RT but it does not have the comfort of the GW.

The one thing I haven't tried is a Russell Day Long seat that might help a lot from all accounts. It looks like the wide comfortable seat that was on the GW. But it ruins the sporty look of the RT IMO.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I might be able to help on this one, lol... I just got rid of my HD EGC for a 2011 RT last September. I ride a LOT and was just plain sick of muscling the HD around. I've owned 2 Goldwings, a Vision, and several HD baggers RG's and EGC's.
The stock RT seat isn't anything to write home about and the BMW Tour Comfort is anything but comfortable. I recently put a Russell Daylong on my RT and it made ALL the difference. Not only did the other seats make my butt hurt after 4 hours but my knees also got cramped up and I couldn't wait to stop to straighten them. That seems to be gone with the Russell.
So iffin you want the RT, I'd say get it but you may want to get the Russell seat made for the maximum comfort. I normally ride 15k from June to August, and normally another 4k where I can the rest of the year depending upon snowfall. My wife jokes that when we go for an evening coffee it means at least 150 miles of riding, and she's thrilled with the Russell as well. I plan to test the Russell on a 14k 50 day trip to AK, WA, OR, CA and back to PA come June 10th :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
+1 or even +100 on the Russell. Makes a world of difference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts