BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again to all you lovely 馃槉 people on this forum. I have yet again another problem I need help with. My LT has the handlebar mirrors from a 1200RS and I love them. Putting my girls dress back on this weekend after what seemed and endless brake line replacement job I cracked the mirror glass on the left side unit.

So my question is can this mirror glass be replaced or do I have to now search for a complete replacement? I鈥檓 hoping they can be. From what I found so far online the cheapest for one was $119 used. See picture of the style mirror I have. Thank you

Registered
Hello again to all you lovely 馃槉 people on this forum. I have yet again another problem I need help with. My LT has the handlebar mirrors from a 1200RS and I love them. Putting my girls dress back on this weekend after what seemed and endless brake line replacement job I cracked the mirror glass on the left side unit.

So my question is can this mirror glass be replaced or do I have to now search for a complete replacement? I鈥檓 hoping they can be. From what I found so far online the cheapest for one was $119 used. See picture of the style mirror I have. Thank you View attachment 170719

Registered
I needed a replacement glass mirror for the right fender of a 1960 MGA I was restoring. Unfortunately it was unavailable at that time, but Lady Luck suggested I inquire with a local replacement window and glass shop near home. They traced the shape from the mirror mount, cut, ground, polished, and lacquered the edges of a new mirror, and I finally epoxied the new mirror into the original mount for a total expenditure of just a few dollars. No one could ever tell that it was a home-made replacement. It is still perfect almost 40 years later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I needed a replacement glass mirror for the right fender of a 1960 MGA I was restoring. Unfortunately it was unavailable at that time, but Lady Luck suggested I inquire with a local replacement window and glass shop near home. They traced the shape from the mirror mount, cut, ground, polished, and lacquered the edges of a new mirror, and I finally epoxied the new mirror into the original mount for a total expenditure of just a few dollars. No one could ever tell that it was a home-made replacement. It is still perfect almost 40 years later.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking on similar lines with glass stores locally. I鈥檓 hesitant only because I can鈥檛 access the rear of this mirror glass. I
Imagine when it was inserted at factory they had a means of expanding the plastic housing that hold it in place. Maybe a heat gun on low could cause the plastic to give enough to remove the glass. Another thought was to replace with mirrored plastic and just stick directly onto the original glass. If all else fails I鈥檒l just take them off and will have to be satisfied with the original stock mirrors only.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Just a follow up, I was able with the use of a heat gun to get the mirror frame soft enough to remove the broken mirror. I鈥檓 picking up a replacement tomorrow from a local glass company cost $37 Canadian with tax. So fingers crossed I鈥檒l be able to again soften the case and reinsert the new glass without breaking.

Registered
Just a follow up, I was able with the use of a heat gun to get the mirror frame soft enough to remove the broken mirror. I鈥檓 picking up a replacement tomorrow from a local glass company cost $37 Canadian with tax. So fingers crossed I鈥檒l be able to again soften the case and reinsert the new glass without breaking.
Thank for the tip - would be very curious to see a video of this process...
I have a K1200RS (2002) that came from factory with these mirrors. Although I am pretty good at wrenching, I have always wondered (if I ever needed) how difficult it would be to replace the glass on these ?!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for the tip - would be very curious to see a video of this process...
I have a K1200RS (2002) that came from factory with these mirrors. Although I am pretty good at wrenching, I have always wondered (if I ever needed) how difficult it would be to replace the glass on these ?!!
I鈥檓 currently away on a 4 day vacation. I picked up the replacement mirror on the morning we were leaving. When I get home I鈥檒l see what I can do for a video. Never made one in the past so don鈥檛 know how it will turn out. There are two things I have noticed ahead of time though.
1) The replacement mirror does not have the size reduction of the image as it鈥檚 plain flat glass
2) The replacement mirror is a full 1/8th inch thick so slightly thicker than the factory glass. There are support ridges behind the glass which will probably need a small slice taking off each one to allow for the difference in thickness of the glass. It鈥檚 going to be trial and error for sure. Both mirrors have a supporting vinyl backing inset just enough to miss the inner but keeps the glass together in the event of breakage. Once we get home on Wednesday I鈥檒l take some pictures and post them here.

Reactions: sailor

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I鈥檓 currently away on a 4 day vacation. I picked up the replacement mirror on the morning we were leaving. When I get home I鈥檒l see what I can do for a video. Never made one in the past so don鈥檛 know how it will turn out. There are two things I have noticed ahead of time though.
1) The replacement mirror does not have the size reduction of the image as it鈥檚 plain flat glass
2) The replacement mirror is a full 1/8th inch thick so slightly thicker than the factory glass. There are support ridges behind the glass which will probably need a small slice taking off each one to allow for the difference in thickness of the glass. It鈥檚 going to be trial and error for sure. Both mirrors have a supporting vinyl backing inset just enough to miss the inner but keeps the glass together in the event of breakage. Once we get home on Wednesday I鈥檒l take some pictures and post them here.
I returned from my short vacation and have installed the new glass into the housing. One mistake I made was holding the hot air gun to close to the casing and caused some slight bubbling. I have since sanded off the bubbles and need to find some paint to cover the sanding marks (Not a big deal). The image from the new flat glass isn鈥檛 satisfactory, so I will just focus on the bikes original side mirror and leave this one as is purely for cosmetic reasons for now. In the coming weeks I will be exploring the concept of getting another mirror from a vehicles door side mirror and having it cut to regain the convexing needed for a rear view mirror. Hopefully this will be successful. The pricing I found online was cheapest from Bike Bandit at $119:00 each. I鈥檇 rather find a fix now that is repeatable should I happen to break another later on. Those prices aren鈥檛 sustainable and cheaper methods need to be found. The actual removal and refitting is relatively easy using a hot air gun to soften the mirror casing allowing the glass to be gently pryed out with a thin blade and refitting is done purely by squeezing the glass back into the heat softened housing pressing only around the edge. I suggest the wearing of gloves to protect from heat and possibly glass breakage when reinstalling the glass.

Sorry for the picture duplications. If anyone can tell me how to delete the copies when the app shows me just three and not six pictures I would be grateful. Thanks.

Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
I removed the extra pictures. It was a bit strange as the only way I could do it was to edit then select the dupe and below it there was a banner with a trash can. At the bottom where they list the photos there was only one copy of each. Like I said - strange.

Reactions: Chayside

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the extra pictures. It was a bit strange as the only way I could do it was to edit then select the dupe and below it there was a banner with a trash can. At the bottom where they list the photos there was only one copy of each. Like I said - strange.
This is weird. Today I look at my post and there鈥檚 only the three pics and not the three duplicates that I could see yesterday. Thanks for you鈥檙e reply appreciated 馃憤

1 - 10 of 10 Posts