BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a BMW 1200LT. Is 1999 BMW with 15,000 miles on it. Has Red Baron paintings on it. Does anyone one know of any issues with this bike.

Ray

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
riflyer said:
Looking at a BMW 1200LT. Is 1999 BMW with 15,000 miles on it. Has Red Baron paintings on it. Does anyone one know of any issues with this bike.

Ray
The main issue that I would suspect would be dried out oil seals on a 10 year old bike with only 15K . :eek: With so few miles the seals may start to leak after some miles are put on the bike. Also would look at cleaning the fuel system out as there may be "Gunk" in the injectors and lines from gas setting in them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With those miles there can not be any issues!!!

Take it. It may be your best deal ever!

Only, if you know that it has been staying with out any use several years, it may have seal issues. But not likely.

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome and Hello riflyer

I would change all the fluids , I do not use in synthetic oils as my old 99 trans leaks when I try to switch to synthetic . Am not much into extended oil change intervals , too old I guess. check the tires and light the fire !
You are in for some grand rides on a grand machine . Check back in when you have some new questions .
If you ride north stop in.

Bob G

·
Registered
87 Posts
gbob said:
Welcome and Hello riflyer

I would change all the fluids ,
Bob G

Yeah. This is absolutely minimum.
Change fluids, tires and battery. And you are at safe side.

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
look atg the service history. The above posts are valid if the bike has stood for ages. If 10k has been done on the bike in the last 12 months and been serviced recently, you need do nothing but ride it.
The 99 is easier to work on than later models if you plan to work on it yourself. You may find the throttle stiff, an easy fix for this

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought a K1200 LT with the Red Baron painted on it. I wonder if it was the same one. I bought it at Sunrise Honda in Searcy, AR. Great bike and have already put about 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
1st post from Oaklahoma, your post from Arkansas.....good chance it is the same bike.
Welcome and continued good luck.
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts