BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1200LT for a spin and I notice the heat gauge was allmost on red. I check the reservour and I can see collant in the sight glass. any sugestion

·
Registered
314 Posts
Were you in normal cruising speed or stop and go traffic? If cruising and it still climbs close to the red I'll be checking if the thermostat is functioning properly.

If stop & go, specially on a hot day, that's normal BUT please check if you cooling fans kick on when needle gets close to the red...

JMTCW

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Check to make sure both of the fans are running when hot..........

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Did you replace the coolant recently? If so you may have air in the radiator. I didn't get it all out, and until it got really hot recently mine was doing that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If it really gets hot then "Engine Overheating" light comes on. As long as that light does not turn on you should be OK.

·
Registered
353 Posts
MattKas said:
If it really gets hot then "Engine Overheating" light comes on. As long as that light does not turn on you should be OK.

I hate lights. By the time the come its already too hot. I would keep an eye on the gauge and check things mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You'll find that just when you think you have to pull over and let it cool off, the fans kick in and the temp rapidly drops to mid range.
Bob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Newf said:
I hate lights.
Yup, yup... my dear ole grandpa was the first I recall referring to them as IDIOT LIGHTS.

+1 on watch the gauges!

·
Registered
353 Posts
midnitejaz said:
Yup, yup... my dear ole grandpa was the first I recall referring to them as IDIOT LIGHTS.

+1 on watch the gauges!

I agree with him. And so do many others.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
engine over heating

read all your responce and thanks to all. the over heating light does turn on, when I pull over I can hear the fans working, if it's the thermostat were is it located. my bike is a 2000 with 12,000 mile on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem, my temp guage was reading all the way up but my coolant level and overflow tank were both full. I replaced the radiator plug/temp sensor bolt and now the temp reads normal. The part # for the plug/temp sensor is 62161459270 and 07119963072 for washer if you want to try this. The temp sensor cost $16 and the washer was 16 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts