BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL: I am a new LT owner and am somewhat long in the Torso, when riding for more than an hour the area between my shoulders begins to ache due to the handle bar position forcing me to roll my shoulders forward. On my Harley I installed higher bars and on the Yamaha I added handle bar risers to alleviate the discomfort. Are either of these possible on the LT. I know there are riser kits available however I do not know how much additional length there is for electrical, cables and brake hose.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
rmouse said:
Hello ALL: I am a new LT owner and am somewhat long in the Torso, when riding for more than an hour the area between my shoulders begins to ache due to the handle bar position forcing me to roll my shoulders forward. On my Harley I installed higher bars and on the Yamaha I added handle bar risers to alleviate the discomfort. Are either of these possible on the LT. I know there are riser kits available however I do not know how much additional length there is for electrical, cables and brake hose.
Thanks in advance for your input.
And as far as I know, this is about the extent of moving the handlebars, given the obstacles you mentioned.

In the HOW section, under the Technical tab, do a search for "Handlebar Adjustment Procedure" and you'll find Vic Agresti's excellent instructions at the start of the thread. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I'm also long in the torso and feel that once I added a backrest the shoulder/neck pain became a thing of the past. Being in a constant upright position against the backrest kept me from rolling the shoulders forward. Also, seat position helps. With a stock or Rick Meyer seat I needed it to be in the high position. I just changed to a KonTour seat and think it will be in the low position. Just added it yesterday so no miles yet. Just kinda sat there on it with a big smile on the mug.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
832 Posts
jers99lt said:
I just changed to a KonTour seat and think it will be in the low position. Just added it yesterday so no miles yet. Just kinda sat there on it with a big smile on the mug.

HTH,
Jer
Nice!
A backrest is a great addition too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with Jerry. The backrest alleviated all of my neck/ shoulder / back pain.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You should be able to change out the handlebars. They are just 7/8" handlebars albeit very long ones. What you would lose are the plastic covers that make the handlebars look cool.

I would definitely try the back rest suggestions above before I "uglied up" the handlebars.

Loren

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the resposnses, I will order a back rest soon, I notice there are two different models available, any suggestions on which is best?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Back-up Backrest is the easiest to put on or take off. Two bolts!

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dick said:
And as far as I know, this is about the extent of moving the handlebars, given the obstacles you mentioned.

In the HOW section, under the Technical tab, do a search for "Handlebar Adjustment Procedure" and you'll find Vic Agresti's excellent instructions at the start of the thread. Good luck.
Thanks for the link, using the information provided I raised my bars @ 2", now I need it to stop SNOWING before I can give it a road test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts