BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any posts listed for doing your own 12k service? I know its oil changes, valve adjustments,and TB sync. I dont seem to run across a lot of posts on it. Most must be having dealer service?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Check your Private Mail...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think many, if not most around here do their own work. I'm in the process of doing my 6K service right now. Did the oil, trans and final drive fluids today. The brake flush, valve check and throttle body sync remain to be done. Then I'll hook up the GS-911 and reset the service date and check for any fault codes. It's my first time for most of this so I'm taking my time. I have the DVD from JVB Productions for guidance.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Von Baden is a nom Daguerre.

JVB hangs out over at BMWST.com that's BMW Sport Touring.

Google works too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Actually, Hoppy, I have not seen jvb at bmwst for some time. However, he is almost every day at advrider.
I think he has a gs now, so he's there, and not having much to do with ST.
dc

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I just put in a service request with my dealer for the 6k less the oil change but including the final drive service. I'll be hitting 12k about mid way thru my AK trip so I'll do all the other stuff at that point myself. I figure the throttle body sync can wait until I get back unless I find the valves need more than an inspection along the route. All told I'll be between22- 24k by the time I return so I figured I'd let the dealer do the 6k and get the bike done by them again once I return. All the other required maintenance I'll do myself.
Learn as I go I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I would never try to tell anyone how to do their ride, but... let me tell you how I do it.

I'd do a complete service about two or three weeks before the planned start. That way I know what is fresh and what is prepared, and also get a few miles on the service to check for leaks and things.

Then I'd ride the ride and not bother doing anything else along the way except an oil change- maybe in AK.

Take your own oil filter- you never know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts