BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just finished all of the "fluids part of the 12k. I'm just getting into the "filters and valves portion. All I can say is WOW! Don't get me wrong, not that its a big deal as far as difficulty, but still. This much technology and having to do so much to THE [email protected]??? Its 78 right now, clear blue skies, and my garage looks like a props shed for the "TRANSFORMERS" movie. Sorry, I'm ranting, I'm sure I'm not the first to whine about it. Maybe I'll learn some tricks along the way. Take care,

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,157 Posts
The valves should just be checked, I doubt you will need any adjustment.
Filters... You should be able to skip the fuel filter, but I bet your air filter is dirty. Unfortunately you still need to remove the tank to get to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Yeah, it's necessary...

The first time you do it, it'll take a LOT of time, as you figure out all the "WTF's?". After that, goes a lot quicker as you figure out work-arounds.

Just make sure you have an electric screwdriver, with a T-25 fitting, and you can strip her down in no time. Get the metal fuel quick disconnects if you don't already.

I agree with Giles on the Fuel Filter, you can get away with delaying that until the 24K (unless you drive into Mexico... don't ask how I know...).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
812 Posts
zippy_gg said:
The valves should just be checked, I doubt you will need any adjustment.
Filters... You should be able to skip the fuel filter, but I bet your air filter is dirty. Unfortunately you still need to remove the tank to get to it.
I discovered that to replace the air filter, that I can slide the tank back far enough w/o unhooking the fuel disconnects. I've even done it with a full tank of fuel.
The filter has been dirty every time at 12,000 miles and I ride all paved roads except for a 400' driveway.

Soooooo, one better change it. That's a good time to make sure a big bird or something else didn't get sucked into the intake. LOL :bmw:

If you aren't checking all your vehicles air filters, then you're fuelish in my opinion.

All of this is opinion's anyway, but the eggheads should have done their homework before making the recommendations.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, gonna go for my second ride today! :bmw:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
They set the service intervals for a reason. If you don't want to have a reliable, long lasting bike feel free to ignore them. But having done my own service at the defined intervals on all 3 of my LTs I can tell you it's the right frequency based on my experience.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,792 Posts
Is one afternoon of your undivided attention with this old girl worth the intimacy you will aquire in keeping her running smooth for many miles to come? I'll say it is.

She takes a lot less effort than my wife does and I've had her around for 37 years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
If I lived back East, and it was 78F and not raining, I'd go for a ride and work on my LT next weekend when it would be raining. :)

Bob

PS: most of the time, I have to deal with the theory of rain rather than the experience of rain, and snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Just as an FYI, so long as I have the factory warrenty I will use a BMW dealer to do the standard service work. When it expires and I have the extended warernty in effect I will do what I can and have the dealer do the rest.

If money becomes an issue, which it does form time to time being self-employed, I will assist by removing tupperware and performing routine maintenance that I can do and document as being done (properly) so I do not void my warrenty. After the warrenties expire (like on my RT) I will do all the work I can whenever possible. Regardless of who does the work, I follow the maintenance schedule. Seems kind of silly to not do so in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again guys,

Thanks for all of your input but, since it is Monday now, and all I have left is to check valve clearance,(BTW, thanks for the info on the canisterectomy, and the brake fluid change instructions), they worked great!

I am really happy to be almost finished with the 12,000. I really learned alot about the bike and how everything, (well almost), works. I do have to add my two pennies here: It seems to me that, with the exception of the fluids that were all changed to synthetics, every component replaced was not only a waste of time, but money spent. Don't get me wrong, I'd be alot MORE upset if I had taken it to the Big Money Wasted dealer to the tune of $850.00, but every component I pulled looked as good as its replacement! Even the AIRCLEANER! No dust, no dirt. I held it up to the sun, you could see right through it. The plugs were perfect. The fuel filter??? I cut that sucker in half just to see...same thing, element was perfectly clean. In some twisted way, I'm almost hoping for a valve to be out of wack so I don't feel like I wasted an entire weekend. I can say this, my next LT's guts won't see the light of day until at least the 24K mark. I know, I know, but after this experience, its a chance I'm more than willing to take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Coming up on 12K, and about to have the service done, incl. the biennial brake fluid check. Wish I were retired (getting close) and knew how to do this stuff myself.

Does your rear rotor typically show more wear than the front rotors do?

Anyone have any guidelines as to how much wear a rear rotor can have before it should be replaced?

Tires at 12K 3.5mm front, 3mm rear. Comments welcome on plans for new shoes at 13,500, i.e. is BMW recommended minimum tread depth of 2mm-front/3mm-rear realistic, or overly conservative? Don't like the prospect of diminished traction in rain.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Funny my mechanic said the same thing today. Every fuel filter, air filter, and plug on an LT at 12000 looked fine. We discussed strategy and he said save up the money, and do a balls all out at 24000 and be happy. I mean fluids I see at 6000 but in light of his opinion I will just do it his way. He said he will stamp my book no issues, and if it breaks in warranty it will get fixed, period.

Now he did say if I experienced a symptom of impending doom that we would address it then.



rkdrmr1 said:
Hi again guys,

Thanks for all of your input but, since it is Monday now, and all I have left is to check valve clearance,(BTW, thanks for the info on the canisterectomy, and the brake fluid change instructions), they worked great!

I am really happy to be almost finished with the 12,000. I really learned alot about the bike and how everything, (well almost), works. I do have to add my two pennies here: It seems to me that, with the exception of the fluids that were all changed to synthetics, every component replaced was not only a waste of time, but money spent. Don't get me wrong, I'd be alot MORE upset if I had taken it to the Big Money Wasted dealer to the tune of $850.00, but every component I pulled looked as good as its replacement! Even the AIRCLEANER! No dust, no dirt. I held it up to the sun, you could see right through it. The plugs were perfect. The fuel filter??? I cut that sucker in half just to see...same thing, element was perfectly clean. In some twisted way, I'm almost hoping for a valve to be out of wack so I don't feel like I wasted an entire weekend. I can say this, my next LT's guts won't see the light of day until at least the 24K mark. I know, I know, but after this experience, its a chance I'm more than willing to take.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,792 Posts
Hallen12 said:
Does your rear rotor typically show more wear than the front rotors do?
Yes

Hallen12 said:
Anyone have any guidelines as to how much wear a rear rotor can have before it should be replaced?
New is 7mm (0.2756") wear limit is 6.5mm (0.2559)


I have some cast off tires that other people would love to have I am sure. I like a lot of good rubber under me when I ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced my rear rotor and pads with EBC @ 2,000 miles. Only because the rear was squealing something awful and my Harley buds would NOT let up. Also, Ineeded a rear tire at 8500 miles. I went ahead and changed out both the front and rear with the Bridgestone. I definitely notice a substancial difference in handling compared to the Metzlers. Hope this helps. Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, there you have it,

Just finished "checking" the valves. All I can say is, right on the money. I had only .001" variance on the intake side, and ALL of the exhaust were right at .011", (.012" NOGO).

That being said, I am sure glad I performed the 12,000 mile. Damn thing was on its last leg. Just being a smart A**. That just confirms, one awesome BIKE!

I'm riding to work tomorrow...life is good :D
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top