BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a totally sweet and customized 07 1200 GS Adventure. Bought the GS new and really have had a blast riding it.

As I'm doing more highway miles now, I would like something with more wind protection less head buffeting (I have had more windshields on the GS than I can count) and just overall more comfort compared to the GS ADV.

So it's been awhile since I have looked at new BMW's... thought is was going to be simple. Sell or trade my GS ADV and get an RT. Not so simple... 1600 GT.

Rats... nothing is simple.

So for you RT fans out there.... can you tell me the differences and opinions between the RT and 1600GT. I know GT is not avail yet, I know I may never get a chance to buy one as they seem to be in hot demand. I know the difference between boxer and the the 6..

More interested in what overall rider comfort will be like between the two.

I guess to make it simple. If you were in my shoes would you pull the trigger on a new RT or would you try to get a 1600GT.

Thanks again... Long winded 1st post for me... :rotf:

·
Registered
364 Posts
This really is a lazy question.
Go test ride an RT and then you can get the same information a person with an RT would say. He would tell you how the RT is and then say he hasn't ridden, (an most likely not seen the 1600 GT in person) and can only go by what he has read plus You Tube videos.
Ken

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
From what my dealer told me, there are no more K1600's available this year. They sold them out before one made it to the showroom. 33 of the 35 deposits were made before the price was set. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Get the RT now,then wait a year or so for BMW to sort out any problems that are sure

to show up on the 1600 series.Then the fun begins....

·
Registered
472 Posts
You know about the RT engine from your current bike. You know the 1600 will be more powerful, water cooled, etc. The GT will be heavier. Equipment wise, they can be optioned similarly.
Decide what's important and it will take you to your next bike: is it low weight, power, ability to idle in traffic, etc.
BTW: I wish I had such a problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken appreciate the lazy question comment... there is always one on every forum.

Other people who responded I really appreciate your thoughts and comments....

Will be looking at a new 2010 RT Loaded at my dealer in the morning.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wasn't being a wise ass. No one has any real information on the 1600 yet. An RT can easily be test ridden.

When all is said and done, would you really buy ANY bike without riding it first yourself?
Ken

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ken6217 said:
When all is said and done, would you really buy ANY bike without riding it first yourself?
I bought my LT AND GT without even seeing them, let alone riding one. Come to think of it, I bought my new 2010 Concours14 without riding it too. Any other questions? :)

Oddly enough, I was extremely satisfied with all three purchases. Well ... until my final drive blew apart on the GT in Nevada. :(

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I believe there will be some 1600's later this Spring or early Summer. All the pre order ones are done. After they are delivered there may be some for the dealers to parcel out. The tricky part is production of all this stuff winds down toward the middle of summer and specific bikes get scarce. There will always be the odd buyer that for whatever reason is not able to complete his ordered bike purchase. But, there is a huge difference between a R bike and a K bike. As folks above have stated, you need to ride them to tell what's going on between them.
I understand the dealer demos are due soon. That would be the time to try one out and see if you have the fever for real or not.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I bought my LT AND GT without even seeing them, let alone riding one. Come to think of it, I bought my new 2010 Concours14 without riding it too. Any other questions? :)

Oddly enough, I was extremely satisfied with all three purchases. Well ... until my final drive blew apart on the GT in Nevada. :(

With the exception of the RT I bought last year I have never rode a bike before buying it. Maybe I am crazy, but I started buying bikes when I was 16 years old ( 47 years ago) and I always just kind of decided what I wanted and went out and bought it. Of course, there weren't always all tha many choices, especially within one particular bike manufacturer, years ago. When I got my first BMW it was a choice of 750 cc or 500 cc...and of course I wanted the biggest. Probably not always the best way to choose a bike, but I have always been happy with what I bought. I am not suggesting this should be your approach. At this time in life I would suggest always taking it for a ride first...live and learn . As much as I liked my LT I wish that I had talked the owner into letting me take if for a ride first, then I wouldn't have been trading it for a much lighter bike a couple of years later. But, since I love the RT it all worked out in the end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm tending toward making the decision early 2012, having been pushed into a K1200GT due to BMW Australia not having any 2011 RT's available until May. They insist on clearing the 2010 RT stock first: [email protected] if I'm buying 2010 in 2011!!

The specs on the 1600GT look just the job, although the weight is a bit off-putting, about 30kg up on my current K-GT, which is 30kg up on the R-RT. I'm finding the handling on the GT to be just different enough after 4 years of RT riding to be annoying, you may find the 1600GT to be even more so. Higher CoG is a real issue for me, no real reason but it is. The extra power is another thing......

My choice is currently to wait until Jan/Feb 2012 and then decide, but I may have a brain fade about October as we head back into Spring/Summer, and jump in early ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you're looking to escape buffeting, the RT is going to take a little effort. The stock screen isn't the best for that. I have no idea how the GT will be in terms of a clean and quiet place to sit.

I do know that the GT will be a remarkable bike. The reviews coming from BMW skeptics is overwhelming. "Our expectations were too low" is one quote that got me from one review. It looks and sounds just awesome.

It is too late for a pre-order but that doesn't mean you will not be able to get one. There are about 1000 orders and BMW has committed to 1400 bikes this year. In addition, I think a fair number of those pre-orders will fall through. If you want one, get your name on a list at the local dealer to be called if a buyer backs out. It will happen but you'll have to be patient.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The stock windscreen on the Rt is not good (for me). I have a Cee Bailey that is about 2" higher and there is no buffeting whatsoever.
Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been debating between an RT and a 1600 GT for some time. I finally decided on an RT for the following reasons:

1. I know the RT is a reliable, tried and true platform. The new GT may be as reliable as an anvil, but considering all of the ambitious and innovative systems and components on it, it may be a few years before any new-model glitches are ironed out.

2. I know the RT fits me extremely well. I know I really like the way it rides and handles.

these are my top two priorities, and were 90% + of my decision. Additional, lesser reasons:

3. $4 or $5,000 less (I got a good discount off a loaded 2011 at my dealer.)

4. Available in just a few weeks (for just the model I wanted.)

5. A rich farkle market exists.

6. A rich user knowledgebase exists.

That said, the new GT may be the greatest ride ever, and I realize I may want to change to one in a year or three, once I've ridden one. I'm expecting the engine to be amazing. My RT should be in next week, and, coincidentally, I also traded in an 07 GS Adventure.

Of course, no one can make the 'which bike' decision for anyone else. Captain is either going to have to go with the known quantity RT, or wait and see what GT's will be available for demo and sale.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ken6217 said:
The stock windscreen on the Rt is not good (for me). I have a Cee Bailey that is about 2" higher and there is no buffeting whatsoever.
Ken
I am intending to buy the same and I am 6'2".....

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
It depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you want to do serious high-speed sport riding, the GT is your choice.

If that is not your wish and you want the finest all-around motorcycle made since 1973, the RT is your dish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 6'2", I have a 2007 Adventurer & 2005 Lt with lower euro shield, both have a laminar lip which seems to get rid of buffeting, the Lt does have more protection but both are easy to ride all day . (my dyna wide glide with wind vest is good for 45 minutes at most).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
When I was looking a couple of years ago the choice came down to K12ST or R12RT. Both fully faired, both with panniers, both with all the creature comforts you could want. So I rode both, and after that there was no question. The seating position on the K12 just wasn't right for me, and I couldn't see diddly-dorking around a bunch to get it right on a $20K+ bike. Plus, the boxer engine just has soul, and I couldn't detect any soul in the K engine. The K was smoother and more powerful, sure. But there's just something existential about the boxer.

So on that same thinking, I'm not particularly tempted by the K1600 in either configuration. Now, if they were to come out with a R1600RT twin or four-cyl boxer, that keeps that kachunka, kachunka at idle that a big twin has, I might be ...

JayJay

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think you could fit a big enough battery to start a 1600cc boxer!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
GRB60 said:
I don't think you could fit a big enough battery to start a 1600cc boxer!
Why? Kawasaki has a 2053 CC V-Twin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts