BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1050 miles in one day, 3600 miles in 6 days, video

Well, I finally did a 1000+ mile day on the LT. It was not as painful as I thought it would be and ended up being quite a nice ride. I did 850 miles on one of the other days as well. The stock seat seemed to work fine for long rides.

I had a killer trip up to Colorado/New mexico and rode just about every mountain pass there, I think we rode over 11 passes in total. The highest one about 12,200 feet.

The one thing that stands out more than anything is how well the bike handles in the corners going up and down the mountains. WOW. Not a single HD rider I was with could keep up. One of the guys lived up there and thought there was no way a texan could do these roads better. :histerica

I have about 20 hours of video to go through but here is a sample from one of the first passes we did. I had to lower the quality for youtube, but still watchable. About half way up, I said screw it and passed all the HDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4B0LO32uw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Dude, you rock!
See my signature on why I believe like you believe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,458 Posts
c00k1e said:
12000 feet!! Wow that knocks spots off my highest trip. Last month we went up the highest paved road in the Alps - we got as far as 8858 feet;
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3203432383967271158
(that is me singing!!)

btw does anyone know who took the photo at the end? I would like to credit it to them
Cookie - ping Ralph Gray here on the LT member list. He provided that photo back in the 2003 CCR festivities in Gatlinburg, TN. I think he knows it's origin (I wanna say it's from the KOG community in Italy, butt I'm not positive).

Background sounds by you, for the Alps ride, is purdy cool, BTW. And not much traffic, which makes the run nice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Great video...made me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing.

On your next trip to Colorado, try hitting Mt. Evans, just a few miles west of Denver. At 14,240 feet, it's the highest paved road in the WORLD. Usually open from late May to early September.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mt evans was on the route but we changed the plans during the ride.

We ended up riding a route from Gunnison to Buena Vista over cottonwood pass. 12,200ft dirt road pass going up, paved on the way down. Very fun ride, almost thought I was on a dirt bike for a while. Still several feet of snow at top. I need to edit that video. I am still kinda pissed I didn't get to do Evans though.


pickerbiker said:
Great video...made me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing.

On your next trip to Colorado, try hitting Mt. Evans, just a few miles west of Denver. At 14,240 feet, it's the highest paved road in the WORLD. Usually open from late May to early September.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Looks like a nice ride, I have a question about the last track, who is it and what album, quite liked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,862 Posts
myk_edwards said:
Looks like a nice ride, I have a question about the last track, who is it and what album, quite liked it.
The last song is Animal I Have Become, by Three Days Grace. The CD is One-X



Good stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
hoog62 said:
The last song is Animal I Have Become, by Three Days Grace. The CD is One-X

Good stuff
Thanks Dave, think I'll order myself a copy if its available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Thank you for that. Good video, better music! I was a little claustrophobic until you passed the other bikes but it all worked out. Glad your trip was safe. We need to make some real videos.............Ride on......... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
pickerbiker said:
Great video...made me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing.

On your next trip to Colorado, try hitting Mt. Evans, just a few miles west of Denver. At 14,240 feet, it's the highest paved road in the WORLD. Usually open from late May to early September.
...actually its Ticlio Pass in the Andes Mountains at 15,806 feet.

Evans is fun, but usually choked with RV's, gawkers -and then there's those stupid mountain goats pissing all over the pavement! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Envy, serious envy. Nothing better that to pass those hogs and see nothing but open road, hills and curves to carve with the beemer. Thanks for the video. Helped to pass another rainy night in Chi town.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
RonKMiller said:
...actually its Ticlio Pass in the Andes Mountains at 15,806 feet.

Evans is fun, but usually choked with RV's, gawkers -and then there's those stupid mountain goats pissing all over the pavement! :eek:
Mmm...is Ticlio paved? I've always read that Mt. Evans is the highest paved road in the world.

If you do Mt. Evans right after it opens, it usually isn't too crowded with tourists. The amazing thing is the runners and bicyclists who do the last eight miles to the top. Pretty incredible fitness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
Re: 1050 miles in one day, 3600 miles in 6 days, video

Houston07LT said:
Well, I finally did a 1000+ mile day on the LT. It was not as painful as I thought it would be and ended up being quite a nice ride. I did 850 miles on one of the other days as well. The stock seat seemed to work fine for long rides.

I had a killer trip up to Colorado/New mexico and rode just about every mountain pass there, I think we rode over 11 passes in total. The highest one about 12,200 feet.

The one thing that stands out more than anything is how well the bike handles in the corners going up and down the mountains. WOW. Not a single HD rider I was with could keep up. One of the guys lived up there and thought there was no way a texan could do these roads better. :histerica

I have about 20 hours of video to go through but here is a sample from one of the first passes we did. I had to lower the quality for youtube, but still watchable. About half way up, I said screw it and passed all the HDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4B0LO32uw
Good job! Me and the SO just returned from a 4 week 5300 mile NE coast trip as far as Maine from S FL. great fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Nice video.

What took you so long to pass ? ;)

Was the camera on your helmet ?

I noticed it moving to check out some stores and scenery, but not looking through the curves much. I know camera angle can be deceiving, but it didn't look like you were even coming close to pushing it (which is a good thing), but if not, what were all the Harley dudes whining about ?

Classic is the end where you are waiting for them to catch up.

I pretty much keep the cruise on while on the slab, but just have fun in the twisties/sweepers. Seems like most people that ride in groups do the opposite, go fast down the slab, and then their hittin the brakes when the road gets good.

Really enjoyed the music you put to it.

Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Thanks for sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
WOW. I almost feel like I got to ride today. I enjoyed the second half of "my ride" with no one in front of me at a pace that was a little more aggressive so much I think I may take that ride once more before the day has ended. Might even go put this on the big screen--hell, I might even put on my helmet before I watch again. Thanks for sharing. Makes me wish I had some video from the trip I just completed from Colorado to British Canada.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top