BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mix this with 90 octane non ethanol and run it in my LT. Will this harm anything in the engine?

·
Registered
183 Posts
eremite06 said:
I mix this with 90 octane non ethanol and run it in my LT. Will this harm anything in the engine?
100 low lead is not lead free. I've seen the lead deposits on pistons and valves of my Cessna. What are the effects on the bike's catalytic converter? Why not use premium unleaded as called for by BMW? I don't have a clue but some of our aircraft mechanic friends may chime in here.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you have a cat on the bike you will plug it up.
Lead content on 100LL Avgas has a higher lead content than automotive fuel back in the day that lead was still in our fuel. If you were around back then the lead in automotive fuel fouled up spark plugs and left lead deposits all over the combustion chamber. You should have done your research before putting Avgas in your bike. GET IT OUT ASAP.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
If you run it consistently it will damage your cat and pretty much screw up your valves/valve seats - but I don't think a tank of your "witches brew" will harm anything. Your engine was DESIGNED by ENGINEERS to run on unleaded gasoline.

BTW, that cat is a $2200.00 part. :eek: It has lots of Unobtanium in it. :D

I guess my only question is what are you trying to accomplish by mixing in Avgas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
RonKMiller said:
BTW, that cat is a $2200.00 part. :eek: It has lots of Unobtanium in it. :D
I have a big ol pile of Unobtanium in my pole barn. I am not sharing it though...... :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Your engine was DESIGNED by ENGINEERS to run on unleaded gasoline.
I agree with your post in full, but I had to chuckle at the above-quoted portion.

Same bunch of engineers who designed the cowbell? The FD assembly process? The brake lines? Pre-05 throttle cables? Those guys? :histerica

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I can think of NO reason to run AvGas in the LT. It will likely cause you much grief if you do very much of it, as stated by someone else, 100LL has a much higher lead content than what they stopped selling for automotive use. Aviation piston engines were designed many decades ago, with very high lead content fuel in mind. LL has reduced that content to about the minimum the old engine designs can handle, but it is still higher than the automotive fuels were.

I agree with the previous statement, "Get it out, NOW".

·
Registered
795 Posts
Think about it this way, the engines that the 100LL is used for are working on 1930's technology complete with carburetors, manual mixture control, magnetos, leather piston seals (okay, maybe not quite but you get the idea). I have no doubt that 100LL is a better fuel than the ethanol crap that is dispensed at the gas station, just not good for a 21st century engine and systems.

One other concern that probably is nothing more than a conscience concern, but technically it is probably illegal to use 100LL as you are not paying any of the mandated taxes. I know they check truckers tanks, but at 50 mpg they probably aren't going to waste time checking too many LT tanks for contraband fuel :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Think about it this way, the engines that the 100LL is used for are working on 1930's technology complete with carburetors, manual mixture control, magnetos, leather piston seals (okay, maybe not quite but you get the idea). I have no doubt that 100LL is a better fuel than the ethanol crap that is dispensed at the gas station, just not good for a 21st century engine and systems.

One other concern that probably is nothing more than a conscience concern, but technically it is probably illegal to use 100LL as you are not paying any of the mandated taxes. I know they check truckers tanks, but at 50 mpg they probably aren't going to waste time checking too many LT tanks for contraband fuel :D
You do pay tax, a lot of tax on Avgas. The taxes just go to the aviation trust fund ( read general tax fund). ;) They all really end up in the same black hole in DC.
As far as diesel, it's a difference between Ag( less tax) use and the gas station variety( more tax).

If you have an older 70's 2 stroke that requires premo gas, then use the 100 LL.

·
Registered
795 Posts
FlyK12LT said:
You do pay tax, a lot of tax on Avgas. The taxes just go to the aviation trust fund ( read general tax fund). ;) They all really end up in the same black hole in DC....
I don't know about other states but in AZ avgas state tax is $.05/gal vs $.19/gal on auto gas, I think the AZ dept of revenue would have something to say about that. Some states don't even tax avgas, last I knew only about 18 or 19 did.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I forgot to mention that the price point makes no sense either; Avgas is $5.50 per gal. and even higher in the big cities. The older low compression airplanes do run well on auto fuel and the EAA has obtained approval for using lead free auto gas as an STC since 1964.

Bruce

·
Registered
795 Posts
beartooth said:
I forgot to mention that the price point makes no sense either; Avgas is $5.50 per gal. and even higher in the big cities. The older low compression airplanes do run well on auto fuel and the EAA has obtained approval for using lead free auto gas as an STC since 1964.

Bruce
Here is a link to some additional information on use of auto fuel in aviation for anyone interested, this topic is kind of equivalent to the tire discussions we see here on the forum :)

I think the cost of AvGas is more based on distribution and production ratios but that doesn't stop it from making you think you are getting a bargain when you fill up your car or moto at ~$4.00 a gallon :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
eremite06 said:
Not likely to hurt the engine. The high lead will ruin the catcon almost immediately and probably will foul the plugs over time. And burning leaded gas is obviously very illegal in the US.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
beartooth said:
100 low lead is not lead free. I've seen the lead deposits on pistons and valves of my Cessna. What are the effects on the bike's catalytic converter? Why not use premium unleaded as called for by BMW? I don't have a clue but some of our aircraft mechanic friends may chime in here.

Bruce
It not only is no lead-free, but 100LL has about 4 times the lead that the old leaded autogas had!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Is this the new oil thread? (Running and ducking.) INCOMING!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Is this the new oil thread? (Running and ducking.) INCOMING!
Only if you can't tell oil from gasoline!

So, is it? :histerica

·
Registered
860 Posts
Voyager said:
Only if you can't tell oil from gasoline!

So, is it? :histerica
Yep...

I been running a "blenderized" concoction of refried beans, corn silk, soy bean cake, Roma tomatoes and shot of Jack Daniels....

Smoooooth..... Beats that wanna be oil brand by a mile...

:D

Oh... and a pint of Grey Goose in the tank just to thin out the mix... NICE!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts