BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry fellow, what a bummer. Not that this happened to you but I always caution folks who may benefit from it, not to stop at a light or other situation in town in the center of the lane. lots of oil that does not get worn off there. Much like turn your steering a bit to the right when coming off the center stand so the bike falls into you not away. I live in a rural farm town and lots of leaky trucks around here.
Hi Beech,
Many thanks! There are challenges, but to live in the sticks is worth its weight in Gold!
Take care,
Jan

·
Registered
144 Posts
It happens to the best of us. In 2011 I went into my local BMW bike dealer to test ride a R1200R. I'd had a bike hiatus of about eight years at that point. I took the bike out and loved it, rode about 25 miles. As I pull in to the front of the dealer right by the door, I do a tight left to park and grab too much brake and over she goes. Felt like a right idiot. They were good about it and I ordered a bike. I never dropped mine ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
In April 2017 I took my brand new BMW K16 GT Sport on our annual bike club run to Scotland. My mate Pat had a K16GTL. On the second day we pulled up at a café in Ullapool, about 8 bikes were in a row and Pat and I decided to join the end of the row so that we could all get our photos taken with our bikes.

Pat pulled in at the end and after he had stopped I pulled in beside him. Pat forgot the side stand.

His bike missed me but Pat didn't, he is about 17 stone and he hit me on the right side, needless to say I went down. Pat's bike fell on his ankle, he was trapped under it and about 6 guys came over and lifted his bike. There was not a single mark on it. his boot stopped the bike from tipping over to the point all the plastics, exhaust etc got scrapped. He had a sore ankle for the rest of the trip and I wonder what it would have been like if he had not got proper boots on.

My bike had about £400 of damage, mainly plastic. We laugh about it today and what could have happened if he had parked at the other end of the row of bikes.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
78 Posts
Jan...glad you are OK and thanks for sharing that story. Sorry you tipped it over, but those scratches are nothing more than "character" marks on your brand new beautiful bike. Cherish them and ignore them. You know it has been said that the most dangerous time for any of us is when we ride that brand new, never ridden before bike home from the dealer. Don't beat yourself up over it, learn from it and look ahead to thousands of miles of pure enjoyment on your new scooter.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I always kick over any new bike in the driveway to get that first drop over with - and to familiarize myself with how to pick the beast up! Sometimes on purpose! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well folks,
I collected My new 2021 RT today, proud as punch! BUT, if I didn’t tell the truth to you all:
a. I wouldn’t be honest!
b. I’d be a bigger d*ck than I actually am
c. My wife would tell you anyway!

Then at the first traffic lights, with nobody in front, missed my imagery stopping point, and for no reason touched the front brake (why??) and over I went!

I’d been emptying the attic and for the last two days had a bad back, but the embarrassment and adrenaline meant I lifted the 288Kg plus weight in a flash...worst still the bike called SOS and I had to tell the bloke... ‘it’s OK, I’ve just dropped the bike!’

Then I was riding for the next hour with no issues, apart from my red face!

When I arrived home my wife reminded me that if she’d done the same I’d be banging on at her....which is about right! I told her it was bound to happen sometime, and probably won’t be the last time it happens?! Only a few little scratches, and luckily not on the aluminium or View attachment 173675 View attachment 173676 View attachment 173677 paintwork! View attachment 173675
My wife did also remind me that I should have bought something ‘smaller’....but there you go!
Take care everyone!

Really like the paint job, probably can't get it in the USA.
RB Gary
Jan

·
Registered
73 Posts
At age 77 I drove my 2005 K1200LT two up about 2500 miles RT from MN to NC & back. Last 50 miles was solo as my wife picked up her car. I pulled into the driveway at home, stopped, forgot the kickstand and dropped the beast. Worse, I had to get it back up before she pulled into our driveway to see. My back survived.

I'm 83 now and thinking it might be getting time to downsize to the R1100RT....

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
In April 2017 I took my brand new BMW K16 GT Sport on our annual bike club run to Scotland. My mate Pat had a K16GTL. On the second day we pulled up at a café in Ullapool, about 8 bikes were in a row and Pat and I decided to join the end of the row so that we could all get our photos taken with our bikes.

Pat pulled in at the end and after he had stopped I pulled in beside him. Pat forgot the side stand.

His bike missed me but Pat didn't, he is about 17 stone and he hit me on the right side, needless to say I went down. Pat's bike fell on his ankle, he was trapped under it and about 6 guys came over and lifted his bike. There was not a single mark on it. his boot stopped the bike from tipping over to the point all the plastics, exhaust etc got scrapped. He had a sore ankle for the rest of the trip and I wonder what it would have been like if he had not got proper boots on.

My bike had about £400 of damage, mainly plastic. We laugh about it today and what could have happened if he had parked at the other end of the row of bikes.
Hi David,
Yes, you can only imagine the carnage if they all went down like a stack of domino’s!
Did you go to Stornaway? I’ve been once, the food was fantastic! I’d love to do the North Coast 500, but perhaps in October when the tourists (I’m half Scottish so I’ll say tourists....that’s the drinking half) have gone!
warm regards,
Jan

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Jan...glad you are OK and thanks for sharing that story. Sorry you tipped it over, but those scratches are nothing more than "character" marks on your brand new beautiful bike. Cherish them and ignore them. You know it has been said that the most dangerous time for any of us is when we ride that brand new, never ridden before bike home from the dealer. Don't beat yourself up over it, learn from it and look ahead to thousands of miles of pure enjoyment on your new scooter.
Thanks Forester! Your comments really are appreciated!
I won’t keep boring everyone with what I had for dinner, but the funny thing is I did Two rides yesterday, 2 hours each time and I wouldn’t say I’m perfect, but I just couldn’t think how I managed to drop it!
As I’ve said before, it may happen again, but it was a flat surface....and I really must have disconnected my brain from my feet.
My saving grace?.....I don’t have a camera attached to my helmet!
Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Jan

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I always kick over any new bike in the driveway to get that first drop over with - and to familiarize myself with how to pick the beast up! Sometimes on purpose! :)
That made my laugh! 🤣🤣🤣👏👍

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
At age 77 I drove my 2005 K1200LT two up about 2500 miles RT from MN to NC & back. Last 50 miles was solo as my wife picked up her car. I pulled into the driveway at home, stopped, forgot the kickstand and dropped the beast. Worse, I had to get it back up before she pulled into our driveway to see. My back survived.

I'm 83 now and thinking it might be getting time to downsize to the R1100RT....
Hi Niel,
I had to reply! I’m 55 in October and bought the bike thinking I have 5 years to ‘live the dream!’ Due to adrenaline and embarrassment I picked that bike up like I was 25!
I now see from your example I have at least 20 years.....my poor bike will look like it’s been dragged through a hedge backwards by then!
Take care!
Jan

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Ouch! That is one of my paranoid - putting a ding in a new bike! That's why I have a set of crash bars sitting in my garage waiting for my '21 RT to get here! At least you got over it, while that would have bugged me for days!!! ;)

BTW, I noticed that you are blaming the front brake for the drop because you used the front brake. Unfortunately (?) that is not the cause this time. Unlike earlier models, the '21 RT has a fully linked brakes. That means that regardless of which you use, brake lever on the handlebar or the foot pedal, both brakes will activate, and I am assuming, with the same front/rear ratio.

55 in October! I will be 75 in October, and I am figuring that the '21 RT is going to be the last bike!! :) If I ride this for 6 more years, which is when I would be ready for a new bike, I don't think that I will want another one at that time, but who knows? I love to travel though, and so I am planning that I will get a campervan probably in the next 2 to 4 years, and at that time I may get a trailer to take the RT along as well! Again, we shall see.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Reactions: JanScott66

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Beech,
Many thanks! There are challenges, but to live in the sticks is worth its weight in Gold!
Take care,
Jan
Whenever you get a new vehicle, you might as well just take out your pocket knife and put a scratch on it... Becasue it's going to happen in the first 24 hours anyway! It always does. But you just laugh and say, "well... I own it now!"

Besides... Now you know that the SOS feature works! Good test!

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ouch! That is one of my paranoid - putting a ding in a new bike! That's why I have a set of crash bars sitting in my garage waiting for my '21 RT to get here! At least you got over it, while that would have bugged me for days!!! ;)

BTW, I noticed that you are blaming the front brake for the drop because you used the front brake. Unfortunately (?) that is not the cause this time. Unlike earlier models, the '21 RT has a fully linked brakes. That means that regardless of which you use, brake lever on the handlebar or the foot pedal, both brakes will activate, and I am assuming, with the same front/rear ratio.

55 in October! I will be 75 in October, and I am figuring that the '21 RT is going to be the last bike!! :) If I ride this for 6 more years, which is when I would be ready for a new bike, I don't think that I will want another one at that time, but who knows? I love to travel though, and so I am planning that I will get a campervan probably in the next 2 to 4 years, and at that time I may get a trailer to take the RT along as well! Again, we shall see.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
I feel like I’m 25! It’s only when I look in the mirror and realise the years of abuse!
You have a great lifestyle!
Enjoy!
warm regards,
Jan

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Whenever you get a new vehicle, you might as well just take out your pocket knife and put a scratch on it... Becasue it's going to happen in the first 24 hours anyway! It always does. But you just laugh and say, "well... I own it now!"

Besides... Now you know that the SOS feature works! Good test!
Hi Dleasman,
I 100% agree! As I told my friend, it’s a machine....a lovely one, but a machine!
im now far more confident, and intend to enjoy it! ....and yes, the SOS function is brilliant!
Take care mate!
Jan

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I’ve really enjoyed all the comments, many of which have made me laugh!
Dropping my new baby was one of the most embarrassing moments of my 54 years, but the support from you all means it may have been the best introduction...not that I will make a habit of it!
Its now wa shed, and most importantly now has a ‘GB‘ sticker on its ass...ready to tour Europe either this year, or next!
Thanks to everyone!:)(y)

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Don't worry, small scratches. I think I have the record on distance traveled before dropping bike. I had just purchased a new 2004 RT; signed the papers and got on the bike; went about 10 feet and I touched the front brake with the wheel slightly turned, barely rolling, as I was about to get on the main street. Bike went down fast. Those bikes had the servo brakes, sometimes called "electric" or "whizzy" brakes. Very touchy and unlike the older BMW bikes. So don't feel bad; happens to all of us!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts