BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks,
I collected My new 2021 RT today, proud as punch! BUT, if I didn’t tell the truth to you all:
a. I wouldn’t be honest!
b. I’d be a bigger d*ck than I actually am
c. My wife would tell you anyway!

Then at the first traffic lights, with nobody in front, missed my imagery stopping point, and for no reason touched the front brake (why??) and over I went!

I’d been emptying the attic and for the last two days had a bad back, but the embarrassment and adrenaline meant I lifted the 288Kg plus weight in a flash...worst still the bike called SOS and I had to tell the bloke... ‘it’s OK, I’ve just dropped the bike!’

Then I was riding for the next hour with no issues, apart from my red face!

When I arrived home my wife reminded me that if she’d done the same I’d be banging on at her....which is about right! I told her it was bound to happen sometime, and probably won’t be the last time it happens?! Only a few little scratches, and luckily not on the aluminium or
F57B62BC-7B3B-49B9-86A5-E2DE3FE3773B.jpeg
35CB9FCD-85D3-4444-8499-1CC405B3BDEE.jpeg
B901842E-347D-425A-A896-71AC9ABF34DB.jpeg
paintwork!

My wife did also remind me that I should have bought something ‘smaller’....but there you go!
Take care everyone!

Jan

·
Registered
102 Posts
The number plate in that first photo should be "WTF" not "MTF" :rolleyes:

I feel your pain - I dropped my last RT trying to ride onto a grass verge. That's when I discovered that I am not suited to off-roading on an RT.....but at least it fell on grass and there was no damage at all other than to my pride.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The number plate in that first photo should be "WTF" not "MTF" :rolleyes:

I feel your pain - I dropped my last RT trying to ride onto a grass verge. That's when I discovered that I am not suited to off-roading on an RT.....but at least it fell on grass and there was no damage at all other than to my pride.
Thanks Hors,
I agree, wide roads with no traffic lights from now on! (y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats! Bike has character now and that cherry is popped. 2 kinds of MC riders, those that have dropped their bike and those that will. 😄

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats! Bike has character now and that cherry is popped. 2 kinds of MC riders, those that have dropped their bike and those that will. 😄
Dear 60Aviator,
Many thanks....that made me laugh! .....and there is nothing better than laughing! Friday I’m going to explode, and make sure I focus, but more importantly enjoy!

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to see that happen on your first ride!
And that’s quite a nice bike with a lot of Option 719 stuff - congrats!
Hi Rambler!
Thank you! Yes, the Pearl white does ‘pop’ in the sun, is an unscathed after my tarmac licking adventure today, otherwise you’d see a grown man cry!
Thanks for the message, and take care.
Jan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Remember the day well - just got my '15 home from the dealer to show it off to the wife - smart fellow that I am, had it on the center stand and was going to show off by driving it off the center stand like I used to do on my R100 - yeah, we all know how that story ended.....valve cover and pannier wore their first/only road scars - always could be worse.

Great looking bike - congratulations!

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember the day well - just got my '15 home from the dealer to show it off to the wife - smart fellow that I am, had it on the center stand and was going to show off by driving it off the center stand like I used to do on my R100 - yeah, we all know how that story ended.....valve cover and pannier wore their first/only road scars - always could be worse.

Great looking bike - congratulations!
Hi Tactical,
I feel so much better after all the supportive messages!
I was an ass, but realise sh*t happens!
Thanks a Million! :D(y)

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT Racing Blue Sport, 2014 R1200RT Callisto Grey Matte sold 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono sold
29 Posts
I dropped my 2014 R1200RT after leaving Washington state and heading to Klamath Falls, Oregon. I pulled into the parking lot at the Hotel I was staying at, took the bags off and went to park, never put the side stand down. I felt like an idiot, banging the valve cover mainly. Now I double check that it's down before I just let it go..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jan, that bike looks fantastic, sorry about the drop but as you mentioned it happens. I hope your wife did not pick up on the Billet optional extras you bought without her knowing lol. Don't do what I did and get caught speeding, mine was a high speed of 30 klm over but under 45, ( well just under :cool: ) lol First fine since I was 16 now 67 this month so I should know better.
I thought if I got caught again providing I don't lose my license as 30 klm over carries a 3-month suspension of license here in Australia plus $935 fine not to mention the loss of 5 points out of 13 points on our license then extra cost on all insurances for the next 3 years until you gain all your points back. So if I get caught again I am going to offer the excuse below to the police officer.
IMG_0772.JPG

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sorry fellow, what a bummer. Not that this happened to you but I always caution folks who may benefit from it, not to stop at a light or other situation in town in the center of the lane. lots of oil that does not get worn off there. Much like turn your steering a bit to the right when coming off the center stand so the bike falls into you not away. I live in a rural farm town and lots of leaky trucks around here.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dropped my 2014 R1200RT after leaving Washington state and heading to Klamath Falls, Oregon. I pulled into the parking lot at the Hotel I was staying at, took the bags off and went to park, never put the side stand down. I felt like an idiot, banging the valve cover mainly. Now I double check that it's down before I just let it go..
Hi RTBob,
Thats a big distance! I must say I’m super careful with the side stand, as it gets tucked under the cylinder! Thanks for the message!
Cheers,
Jan

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jan, that bike looks fantastic, sorry about the drop but as you mentioned it happens. I hope your wife did not pick up on the Billet optional extras you bought without her knowing lol. Don't do what I did and get caught speeding, mine was a high speed of 30 klm over but under 45, ( well just under :cool: ) lol First fine since I was 16 now 67 this month so I should know better.
I thought if I got caught again providing I don't lose my license as 30 klm over carries a 3-month suspension of license here in Australia plus $935 fine not to mention the loss of 5 points out of 13 points on our license then extra cost on all insurances for the next 3 years until you gain all your points back. So if I get caught again I am going to offer the excuse below to the police officer.
View attachment 173680
Hi Geoff,
When I watch the Australian motorcycle police on the TV I can never work out the system?! Big fines and lots of points, even when the driver looks drunk....but perhaps it’s me!
I’m 55 this year....so I feel like a spring chicken now! :p(y):cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts