BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my '10 today and brought home a new '14 Ebony with all of the boxes checked. Picked it up about 120 miles from home which gave me a good last ride, and since I just got in thought I'd share what I observed while it's still fresh.

The '10: Boy I had no idea how much of a difference the suburban peg lowers, my seat, and the vstream made until I put it back to stock ... Otherwise as peppy as the day it as new (It only has 25k on it) paint is still flawless, and I spent the ride down wondering what I was thinking ... I hadn't even seen the '14 in person, never rode them (I did try the new GS), but had a deposit on one...!

The '14:
Color: If the thunder grey from my 10 was available I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. Since it wasn't the choice I left open until I got there was color ... Went back and forth between the matte grey (callisto) and finally settled on Ebony. I'd have preferred a little less red, but overall I'm very happy.

Electronics & Features: Happily they trimmed down the side panel buttons for the radio so it looks less like Apollo 11, I'm already used to the multi controller from my old one, so overall positive. It'll take some getting used to since I keep looking in the wrong place for silly things like temp. Also wish they'd either done "full" keyless or an integrated key with the remote, but considering how many times I've left the ipad in the saddlebag and forgotten to lock it it's a nice little feature. Tried "hill assist" a couple of times for fun, and it does work .. not sure when I'd use it, but there are a few hills I intentionally avoid since I don't want to get stuck on them so we'll see.

Motor, Gearbox, Brakes, Throttle: Coming from the camhead I wasn't expecting the night and day difference... Terrific! From first start, all through the rev range (going easy since it had a whopping 9 miles on it), I found it to be very smooth, much quieter on startup, less "shaky" at idle, and a decent (for a boxer) low frequency sound at the upper end of the rev range. Brakes are new ... so they're great, and seem to have a much quicker bite than the 10. Throttle will take some getting used to, but I'm very pleased it's electronic and the "jerkiness" trying out the cruise (I left it off except to try to keep the RPM's varied) makes it much more usable.

Suspension / Handling: Granted the bike is new, and I have a lot to go through with the different options, but overall it's a heck of a lot "crisper" in every mode and setting I tried, feels a lot more nimble, handled road construction (thank you CT) without an issue, and really felt "new" compared to the camhead. Very pleased.

Seat: The seat is a vast improvement over the previous stock, and a vast gap from what I (or I'd bet many of us) actually want. It's a lot firmer than stock, has a much more useful shape, and it's a good "usable" seat. I needed "high" but had to settle for "standard", and it's probably going to end up wrapped in plastic in a box in the garage just like the seats from the 10. :)

Windscreen: The screen is fine for good weather ... a calsci or a vstream (when they have one) will be must for me for colder weather.

Small Gripes / things I wish were different: I think the new glove-boxes look like afterthoughts - they remind me of cup-holders in older BMW cars or something out of a catalog that sticks on with velcro. I think they missed the chance to use bars we could actually raise / move without spending a fortune, and the #$% side-stand move is going to end up costing me a fortune if I'm not careful.

120 miles down ... many more to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sweet ride. That's my bike exactly. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and now have 800 miles on it. The first service was expensive ($180). I wish I had negotiated that into the price.

Nice garage floor!

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Nice!

I seem to have different opinion than most new '14 owners, when it comes to the side stand! I like the new position better than on the older models. All I do now is to put my left foot down in front of the peg and I will connect with the side stand every single time!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
side-stand move is going to end up costing me a fortune if I'm not careful.

It is an absolute to pay close attention to the Side Stand. I always mount the bike on the side stand, step on the left peg and throw my right leg over, a necessity due to a old leg injury. Almost always started by previous 2009 RT before getting on and never once accidentally engaged 1st gear. Never accidentally engaged 1st gear trying to put the side stand down on my 2009.

On my 2014 I have almost lost the bike getting on with the engine running by brushing the shift selector, I never start till on on the bike now.

I also used the kill switch before I attempt to deploy the side stand there just is not much room to access the small tang in front of the peg with your foot. I don't have particularly large foot but wit my riding boots it's really tight.

This setup must have been approved and tested by Ballet Dancers. :dance:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Quatz Blue. Just passed 800 miles on my way to work this morning. My answers are kind in observation and response to your comments.

Color: BMW has never seemed overly concerned about color, but I'm glad that all of the "Boring" choices that have out for the 14RT have a 2 tone quality to them. Overall I really liked the Red on my 2005... But I'm content with the Quartz Blue.

Electronics: Coming off the 05RT where I had to add just about everything to get what I wanted, I'm really happy with all of the electronics. I'm a little annoyed that a lot of the functions are burried in the menu's, and that I can reprioritize how the come up, and that I can only have ONE favorite menu. I wish I could program the Favorites to page through MY favorites, and at any file level. For instance, I dislike having to page all the way to the end to get the audio menu, then to external speakers, then choose on/off... Just to toggle the noise between my BT helmet, and the external speakers.
Hill assist is alright. I used it this morning at an intersection on a hill at a particularly long light. Nice to have... Not need to have.
I really like the Shift assistant for 3-6 gears. Up and down, all day. Man it's fast...

Motor, Gearbox, Brakes, Throttle: Love the easy starting. Cant wait to see it spark up in the winter months. I had to pull in the clutch and feather the throttle below 40 degrees on the 05. Motor is awesome. I'll say it again... Where are they hiding the 3rd cylinder??? From front to back this is a new animal. My shifts are less chunky; feels less like a gear is going to fall out of a hole in the bottom. No drive line slap lag in the rear end. Wet clutch is awesome. Brakes are 100% better. Monoblock is off the BMW race bikes.

Suspension / Handling: I like it. Definately more nimble feeling. On the hard settings it is Hard. On the Soft it's cushy. I'm usually on normal.

Seat: Definately an improvement, but alas, it's already been away and back to be reworked.

Windscreen: I will be getting an aftermaket at some point, but this one is way better than the stock on the 05 (I put a CalSci on).

Gripes: I too am not particularly fond of the side stand. Odd positioning and it has a tiny foot on it. I wish the hanlebars werent all 1 cast piece. What I said earlier about the Menus.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Seat: The seat is a vast improvement over the previous stock, and a vast gap from what I (or I'd bet many of us) actually want. It's a lot firmer than stock, has a much more useful shape, and it's a good "usable" seat. I needed "high" but had to settle for "standard", and it's probably going to end up wrapped in plastic in a box in the garage just like the seats from the 10.

I don't understand the need to settle for the wrong seat. A dealer who wanted the sale and a satisfied customer would have arranged to provide the correct height.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet ride. That's my bike exactly. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and now have 800 miles on it. The first service was expensive ($180). I wish I had negotiated that into the price.

Nice garage floor!

Mark
Thanks! 800 miles ... I have to catch up! :) The hardest part of getting the floor to look like that was taking everything out of the garage .. you have no idea how much stuff is in there until you have to empty it!

Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seat Cost

I don't understand the need to settle for the wrong seat. A dealer who wanted the sale and a satisfied customer would have arranged to provide the correct height.
Larry,

Totally agree .. I guess the $0 swap is only if it's ordered that way, I didn't want to wait, knew it wasn't a keeper anyway, so I negotiated what I think was an overall good deal.

Dan

·
Registered
955 Posts
As long as you are happy, it's all good.

I had a couple experiences as a kid that taught me that patience could be more rewarding than instant gratification, so I'm reluctant to "settle" when I can wait for what I really want. If you expect to replace the seat anyway, it does not matter which height is stored on the shelf.

I do think the dealers should have an extra seat or two available of different heights. Imagine a car dealer claiming that a car has an adjustable seat, but that you have to special order the entire car before you can fit behind the wheel!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts