BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temps in the 50's yesterday, I had to install the bumper guards on the bags. Very nice indeed! This bike has been dropped more than a few times. Covered up the scratches and looks great. Gets my vote for a great add on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Pictures??

Hi,

Do you have any pictures showing them installed?

I've got a few battle scars as well.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Ive just fitted some aswell couldn't agree more they cover up a scrape and enhanse the look of the bike I think. I think there's a pic on the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
You can't go wrong with these protectors. Plus they look like they belong! One of our own members sells these along with many other LT related products and he will stand behind everything he sells:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=17

There is a picture in the link above if you scroll down toward the bottom of that page as well.

No connection, just another satisfied customer of Raffy's!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think my pics would do the product justice. It would only look like a piece of black rubber..but, it is very nicely cut, and they use some awesome adhesive tape. I was hesitant to buy due to the shipping fee, but it was worth it. Only word of caution is to line up as best you can, and just lightly put in place before you press it on.

Having vision issues, I really had one side off quite a bit, but fortunately, was able to lift the tape and put back where it needed to be. It is quite easy to twist the molding out of position while putting it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Here is a picture of the item. I have installed it on both of the LT's I have owned. I did it to reduce possible damage, if I do fall over. So far I have not had to test that theory. Plus I thought it looked good.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
They are the best bang for the bucks of anything I have added to the LT. You would think BMW would have them as stock on the bike.

Wait a minute that would make too much sense :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had installed these yesterday. Went for a 125 mile ride today and found when I got back, the two corners had come loose. Put some duct tape on until I get a reply from BMR (just wrote them tonight) for a more permanent solution.

I think, if the corners were kerfed on the backside, tape the chrome first and then applied, there would be no issue with the corner pieces coming off.

I did warm the rubber to about 80 degrees and it was about 62 outside when I installed them. Really didn't expect any problems.

Nonetheless, a great product for the money!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
BMR trim

oknplm said:
Here is a picture of the item. I have installed it on both of the LT's I have owned. I did it to reduce possible damage, if I do fall over. So far I have not had to test that theory. Plus I thought it looked good.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Nice trailer Perry, who makes that one?

>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
yechave said:
I had installed these yesterday. Went for a 125 mile ride today and found when I got back, the two corners had come loose. Put some duct tape on until I get a reply from BMR (just wrote them tonight) for a more permanent solution.

I think, if the corners were kerfed on the backside, tape the chrome first and then applied, there would be no issue with the corner pieces coming off.

I did warm the rubber to about 80 degrees and it was about 62 outside when I installed them. Really didn't expect any problems.

Nonetheless, a great product for the money!
Actually, I elected to just leave the corners off. They are not what will hit when the lady takes a nap anyway! The important part is the length of the chrome having protection.

See the attached pic and note that there is no rubber trim on the corner of the chrome strip. Looks fine to me, and works great just in case I ever decide to let her nap while I enjoy the flowers along the way! (Inside joke. Ask Meese or AMArider for details.)

John
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
It is an original "Uni-Go" from New Zealand. Had it color matched and the front "Rhino" lined for road protection. Still not 100% convinced I like pulling a trailer. It is very light, pulls well and leans with you in the turns. So no complaints on how it handles. It is just the additional space the wife finds to haul more stuff we usually don't use.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
side protectors

what did you guys do with the existing stock side chrome pieces? I have dropped mine in slow parking lot turns, and they have protected my bags. Why do you need these aftermarket ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
The rubber protector (strip) is attached to the chrome trim you are referring to. Nothing stock is removed.

May we never find the end of the road!
Perry Ridgway



jpgcycle said:
what did you guys do with the existing stock side chrome pieces? I have dropped mine in slow parking lot turns, and they have protected my bags. Why do you need these aftermarket ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
oknplm said:
It is an original "Uni-Go" from New Zealand. Had it color matched and the front "Rhino" lined for road protection. Still not 100% convinced I like pulling a trailer. It is very light, pulls well and leans with you in the turns. So no complaints on how it handles. It is just the additional space the wife finds to haul more stuff we usually don't use.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
I'm not 100% sure I want to pull anything back there, but I like the small size and looks of your Uni-Go...if I should ever go-for-tow!

I'm ordering a set of BMR trim guards for "Shamu" (my new LT), I've had her for 3 months now without dropping, but since I've signed up for the "Skilled Rider's Course" coming up this spring and I'm afraid she may be goin' goin' down....

>K
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top