BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer wants that much. Isn't that highway robbery? I mean, you can buy a decent used car for that. I admit not as much fun, but c'mon why so expensive? Could it be that it's simply because it's a BMW and all BMW motorcyclists must be rich?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
That is on the low side from prices I've seen before. The main expense is the Labor to remove the clutch as the whole back half of the bike has to come off. .
LOOK HERE to get an idea how much work it really is.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That is a pretty good price from a dealer.

It is a BIG job, and if you get it done, I would have them replace the engine rear seal and O-ring, slave cylinder, and both front and back transmission input shaft seals. failure of any of these cause clutch failure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow, I had no idea clutch replacement was so expensive.

Note to self: Sell LT when clutch goes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That is a fairly low price for a dealer job. You do not mention which, if any, seals and other components are replaced.

IF you can let the clutch wait until you come down here, we can knock it out in one REALLY long day or in two reasonable delays, provided your parts are here in advance. It might cost you a pizza and some donuts (not together, or wait, maybe so...).

Parts... if you replace the slave cylinder and the recommended seals... about $700-ish.

You know how to reach me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deputy5211 said:
That is a fairly low price for a dealer job. You do not mention which, if any, seals and other components are replaced.

IF you can let the clutch wait until you come down here, we can knock it out in one REALLY long day or in two reasonable delays, provided your parts are here in advance. It might cost you a pizza and some donuts (not together, or wait, maybe so...).

Parts... if you replace the slave cylinder and the recommended seals... about $700-ish.

You know how to reach me.
Tony, this is not for my LT. I guess I should have been clear, it's for a R1100 RT P. I figured that for an LT the price for a clutch would be similar. He's asking $3800, it's a 2001. 47K miles and came from a local city PD, not CHP. I checked other units and their prices are much higher. He may budge a little on the price, but certainly not $1600. After reading the ad would you say it's near clutch failure? Or does this indicate a long way from failure? Or something in between?
Here's the CL ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3543109820.html

Wow, what an offer. Hell, I'll bring the whole store to you!

·
Registered
795 Posts
moralem said:
You might bring him down to 3000 and meet him half way in the price of the clutch. But why bother when there are deals like this one out there: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3532399809.html
Too funny, he says in the ad he is "...selling to get something smaller for around town."

Now that my 2-up riding is on hold for a few years I have tossed around in my head selling the LT to get an RT for the exact reason he noted :histerica

I guess is just proves that perspective is everything.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Good price. 1600 is what I paid clutch rebuild and all the seals, plus a weld job on the exaust. That was winter prices.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mwnahas said:
Good price. 1600 is what I paid clutch rebuild and all the seals, plus a weld job on the exaust. That was winter prices.
Gunny says it easier to change a clutch on an R vs the LT. So you paid winter price, that mean it's more expensive in riding season?
A good MC mechanic could get wealthy doing nothing but changing clutches and final drives.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
EddieLo said:
Gunny says it easier to change a clutch on an R vs the LT. So you paid winter price, that mean it's more expensive in riding season?
A good MC mechanic could get wealthy doing nothing but changing clutches and final drives.
Yes it would have been more expensive during the riding season, that why I waited for Feb. I was surprised how much business my good mechanic was doing off season.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I don't know. I have had the clutch out of a R1100GS & a K1200LT. I thought the K bike was a little easer. Getting the air box & fuel distributer / regulator out on the R was not a lot of fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts