BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a lift for the LT. My hinges are a bit rusty at my age, and I am sick of working on the floor!

Is a 1,000 pound lift stout enough? I know that it'll get her off the floor, but I am concerned that lifting what is only a couple hundred pounds or less than rating might make it a little shaky when wrenching away!

Don't want my bike on some rickety stilts...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just refreshing the post... Opinions?

Just refreshing the post... Opinions? I'd like to hear from those that have a lift in their garage.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hallzee said:
Just refreshing the post... Opinions? I'd like to hear from those that have a lift in their garage.
Brian - I've got one of the older Handy lifts (electric) and it has handled ole Toad and several other LTs just fine over the last 6 years of use. I don't remember the weight rating at the moment, butt I think their newer models may be rated even higher than the one I have. Plus, I'm sure they're stating the weight rating well within the actual numbers so they have a comfortable cushion for possible litigation - JMO.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Brian:

I have the manual Harbor Freight lift and it does do the job. It is stable and will lift the LT easily, but you will have to pump a good bit to get it up. I'd prefer a lift that was a bit wider and the addition of air assist to operate it would be an asset. It all depends on how much you expect to use it. They put them on sale every now and then so sign up for their flyer and keep check on them if that is the one you want. It is a cost effective lift as I'll use it 3-5 times a year.

hth, tcars
John

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
As a general rule of thumb I've always bought gear for double the rating I think I'll need since most manufacturers tend to over rate their product's capabilities. Recent purchases have included:

1. A Tommy lift on the back of my pick up.
2. A floor jack for hoisting my truck.
3. Jack stands - bite the bullet and get the good stuff here..
4. A generator. (yep, Honda's cost 2X as much as other brands...)
5. A hammer drill.

... never been unhappy shelling out the significant extra $$ for the peace of mind/performance/longevity.

Tools/stuff made in China these days is downright scary since they ALWAYS take shortcuts on quality and are incredibly sneaky about it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Harbor Lift

I use a Harbor Lift with no problem. I use it for my LT and a friend of mind his Gold Wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
weight ratings

When I was in the navy, we had to underate the safe working load. It was always 20% of the breaking strength of the equipment. I also learned that this holds true in the civilian world. If a lift is rated for 1000 lbs, it will take a static load (not moving) of 5000lbs.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Jerrym said:
I use a Harbor Lift with no problem. I use it for my LT and a friend of mind his Gold Wing.
Where did you get that trunck at? That looks great!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
225 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Where did you get that trunck at? That looks great!

Looks like a corbin smugler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts