BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a 4,000 mile ride stock seat was unbearable dont want to sell the bike but very close to it any suggestions on a new seat, 75 miles at a clip was pushing it I'm 6 foot and 215 lbs no problems touching the ground, dont want to buy a wrong seat need some wisdom, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have an 2006 and the same tning for me. Sore butt in less than a 100 miles. I tried the Kontour and was too narrow. I now have the Corbin front and passenger and love it. A lot of support. A good firm seat always works best for me. Good luck.and enjoy the bike its a great ride.

·
Registered
392 Posts
+1 for Corbin. I've had them on my last 3 BMWs & mama said she will not ride with me if we don't have one. We have done several trips of 10K or so, sometimes 750-850 miles per day, & with Corbin, no problem. I am 6ft & 160 lbs , mama is 5'7" & 135 lbs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
nonno said:
Just back from a 4,000 mile ride stock seat was unbearable dont want to sell the bike but very close to it any suggestions on a new seat, 75 miles at a clip was pushing it I'm 6 foot and 215 lbs no problems touching the ground, dont want to buy a wrong seat need some wisdom, thanks in advance.
I'm 6' 2" 200lbs and had the same problem with my '05. Got my Rick Mayer seat in April last year and sore butt is now a thing of the past. Stop only when we want to look at something or for fuel.
Bruce :) :) :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Love my Russell Day-Long. Similar threads should pop up on the "Similar Threads" portion of this page. Should help.

Highly recommend to see if someone in your area can show/let you try you theirs.

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
As you can see, there are many options. Even the standard seat from an '03 or earlier LT, (NOT THE "SOFT TOUCH" ones though) are better. In '05 BMW made two changes, neither ones good for most riders. They went to the "Soft Touch" seat, AND made the front narrower for shorter riders.

I rode 120,000 miles on a stock 2001 seat, many 1,000 mile plus days, and never had a problem with it. Never saw a need to even look at a custom seat.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Try a BeadRider if you don't want to invest in a new seat. I have the optional [dis]comfort seat on my '07. The BeadRider stiffens it and provides a flatter surface with increased air circulation which I have found to greatly improve my ability to ride for longer times. The BeadRider impedes heat flow from the seat, so I generally don't use it when I have a need to use the heated seat function. I don't have any affiliation with BeadRider products.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree, even the stock seat on my '03 was better for long distances than the seat of the '09. I've had Corbin's before, and been pleased - a firm seat (for me) is more comfortable on the long hauls. It's not a cheap investment in an aftermarket, particularly if you want to keep the heated option. I suspect they use a softer foam because it is cheaper and when buyers sit on the bike at the dealership or take a test ride, it feels plush.

·
Registered
444 Posts
+1 on the Russell day long. I rode 1000 mile day on the stock seat on my '06 last year, and I was REAL sore.

My longest day on the Russell this season has been about 300, but what a difference. With the stock seat I would start to feel it after 50 - 75 miles.

I tried the beads on the stock seat, they did keep me cooler, but the seat was still painful.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I had a Corbin on my 2001 LT and have a Rick Mayer on my 2006 LT. The Rick Mayer seat is the answer! Best Seat I have ever had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts